Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 274 275 [276] 277 278 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1160311 times)

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4125 on: January 30, 2012, 08:46:50 pm »

Well... There goes a few of my friends... Dang!

Kind of harsh dumping your friends just because they give up Dwarf Fortress.

I could be wrong (& don't want to speak for Neonivek), but I think he was saying that without Mayday's excellent graphical support, a few of his friends would stop playing DF. Thus, "there go a few of his friends," not from being his friends, but from being religious players of DF.

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4126 on: January 30, 2012, 08:51:07 pm »

Traditionally, I am a big supporter of the extended ASCII display. It looks good, the tiles are small enough and characters look different enough. The three critical features no graphics set to date has. Examining an unknown object is a minor issue. And anything frequent or important will be memorised quickly.

However, as previously linked, Toady has run out of characters. Adding more will remove one of the biggest advantages ASCII display has, the limited number of characters to remember and recognise. I am not too thrilled about the alternative though.

Graphics sets have huge issues with tile size. With too small tiles one cannot convey even as much information as the ASCII set does. But not all of us have wide screen full HD televisions to display the game on. And the two overlap. A 16^2 tile is both too small and too large at the same time. Some of the monitor area could be recovered if the map display was disassociated from the menus which are fine with the default curses font.
A few weeks ago, a friend of mine bought a 1080p, 63' TV screen. It is a massive monstrosity of amazing clarity. I immediately hooked up my computer to play Dwarf Fortress with the original ASCII graphics just to watch him cry.
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4127 on: January 30, 2012, 09:48:32 pm »

Sept 2009:
Quote from: Toady One
After this release, the next series of shorter releases will be made up of, in no set order:
1) Improved sieges against your fortress
2) Adventurer skills/entity stuff, per the dev next stuff
3) Eternal suggestions voting stuff
He said "in no particular order". Apparently the order is gonna be 2-1-3.

The series of shorter releases following 31.01 has come and gone, as you may have noticed.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4128 on: January 30, 2012, 10:21:19 pm »

Well... There goes a few of my friends... Dang!

Kind of harsh dumping your friends just because they give up Dwarf Fortress.

I could be wrong (& don't want to speak for Neonivek), but I think he was saying that without Mayday's excellent graphical support, a few of his friends would stop playing DF. Thus, "there go a few of his friends," not from being his friends, but from being religious players of DF.

Yes this is exactly it.

m4davis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4129 on: January 30, 2012, 10:36:11 pm »

Traditionally, I am a big supporter of the extended ASCII display. It looks good, the tiles are small enough and characters look different enough. The three critical features no graphics set to date has. Examining an unknown object is a minor issue. And anything frequent or important will be memorised quickly.

However, as previously linked, Toady has run out of characters. Adding more will remove one of the biggest advantages ASCII display has, the limited number of characters to remember and recognise. I am not too thrilled about the alternative though.

Graphics sets have huge issues with tile size. With too small tiles one cannot convey even as much information as the ASCII set does. But not all of us have wide screen full HD televisions to display the game on. And the two overlap. A 16^2 tile is both too small and too large at the same time. Some of the monitor area could be recovered if the map display was disassociated from the menus which are fine with the default curses font.
A few weeks ago, a friend of mine bought a 1080p, 63' TV screen. It is a massive monstrosity of amazing clarity. I immediately hooked up my computer to play Dwarf Fortress with the original ASCII graphics just to watch him cry.

that would be amazing

Jheral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4130 on: January 30, 2012, 11:49:17 pm »

At this rate, unsurprisingly no eternal suggestion voting stuff will be done, like, ever.

There's a reason they're called "eternal" suggestions. ;)

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4131 on: January 31, 2012, 12:38:32 am »

The sponsorship creatures for this release are done! We're getting so close!
The squid/octo ink clouds and cuttlefish sepia ink clouds and a new hide effect finish off the work on sponsorship creatures, at least for this release. We'll add more critter properties in the future as it comes up. We've got crayon art to draw tomorrow, and the usual month endiness.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4132 on: January 31, 2012, 02:47:21 am »

Sept 2009:
Quote from: Toady One
After this release, the next series of shorter releases will be made up of, in no set order:
1) Improved sieges against your fortress
2) Adventurer skills/entity stuff, per the dev next stuff
3) Eternal suggestions voting stuff
He said "in no particular order". Apparently the order is gonna be 2-1-3.

The series of shorter releases following 31.01 has come and gone, as you may have noticed.
I think they're supposed to still be going on, but just became non-short accidentally.
But yeah, the eternal suggestions deserve some love.

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4133 on: January 31, 2012, 03:10:34 am »

So is release coming on second day?(which because of timezone is 3th day of february to me D:)

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #4134 on: January 31, 2012, 07:57:46 am »

So is release coming on second day?(which because of timezone is 3th day of february to me D:)
At the earliest. It's quite possible to come out a few days later still. We still have the SDL stuff and probably some optimization work, at least.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4135 on: January 31, 2012, 08:38:01 am »

I just learned how to check events/battles/wars from history. Yay for something new to do until new release is released!(yes I didn't realize that you can see battles in detail by pressing enter...)

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #4136 on: January 31, 2012, 06:30:47 pm »

So, a few questions about how vampires will behave in Fortress Mode came to mind today.

Will vampires seek out sleeping victims that are not being observed by anyone awake at the time, either exclusively or by preference?  If so, will pets count as observers?

It might become more useful in the new version to assign pets to all important dwarves, to fend off vampire attacks, or else to make them sleep in a communal bedroom that's open to a meeting hall on one side.  The latter case will either protect them, or ensure plenty of witnesses to the attack.  Naturally, less useful citizens get small private bedrooms to appease the vampires.

You mentioned that vampire adventurers will drink more blood if they go longer without feeding, and are more likely to kill their victims.  Will Fortress Mode vampires be less likely to actually kill if they have frequent feeding opportunities than if isolated, sleeping victims are rare?
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SERGALNORTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4137 on: January 31, 2012, 07:04:40 pm »

I can't recall any zombie lower halfs from any other games/movies I've seen. On many, MANY occasions in other games you'll strike down a zombie only to have the top half come crawling after you, but I've never seen a lower half hop up and run into things. I guess that's the big reason, what in the world would a lower half actually DO? I can't imagine they'd kick too hard since they have little to no weight behind em so unless they'd... throw their innards or something the only other possible attacks would require immediate brain bleach.

Google "dead alive lawnmower scene". practically everything from intestines to single limbs go at him. Though it is comedy,it proves the point ,anything could be animated.
Form walking potato man out of corpse. Absorb anyone else in the house.
We have a successful derail.
The Vilous Mod - Jingle berries!

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4138 on: January 31, 2012, 07:10:03 pm »

I can't recall any zombie lower halfs from any other games/movies I've seen. On many, MANY occasions in other games you'll strike down a zombie only to have the top half come crawling after you, but I've never seen a lower half hop up and run into things. I guess that's the big reason, what in the world would a lower half actually DO? I can't imagine they'd kick too hard since they have little to no weight behind em so unless they'd... throw their innards or something the only other possible attacks would require immediate brain bleach.

Google "dead alive lawnmower scene". practically everything from intestines to single limbs go at him. Though it is comedy,it proves the point ,anything could be animated.

Also recall Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance. I remember many a time an undead creature being cut in half only for the legs to start stumbling after me.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #4139 on: January 31, 2012, 07:16:42 pm »

Beware the Zombie Teeth; they are like stepping on a lego brick on the way to the bathroom at 3 am.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.
Pages: 1 ... 274 275 [276] 277 278 ... 298