Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 276 277 [278] 279 280 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1159482 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4155 on: February 01, 2012, 09:01:20 pm »

I remember making one of them. Actually I think was the very last unofficial one and only went for a few pages.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4156 on: February 01, 2012, 09:17:38 pm »

I embarked with two fifth level teachers, with one level in fighting skills like axe dodge and shield.  They sparred till they were legends then I gave each one a squad of skill-less dwarves. After the squad skills up, rotate in a new group of newbies.  I was trying to see if a legendary teacher was a viable training option compared to sparring.  They really didn't even seem close.

The key here is the Student skill. The Teaching skill is effective on its own, but nowhere near as effective as when it's used in combination with Student. That said, immigrants with the Student skill seem few and far between. Perhaps a new custom workshop - a Study? - with a reaction designed to improve the Student skill would be useful.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4157 on: February 01, 2012, 11:24:37 pm »

I embarked with two fifth level teachers, with one level in fighting skills like axe dodge and shield.  They sparred till they were legends then I gave each one a squad of skill-less dwarves. After the squad skills up, rotate in a new group of newbies.  I was trying to see if a legendary teacher was a viable training option compared to sparring.  They really didn't even seem close.

The key here is the Student skill. The Teaching skill is effective on its own, but nowhere near as effective as when it's used in combination with Student. That said, immigrants with the Student skill seem few and far between. Perhaps a new custom workshop - a Study? - with a reaction designed to improve the Student skill would be useful.

The main issue here, is a poor feedback as to why training isn't goin well, or why it is going well. There's personality conflicts. The Dorfs needs the right personality traits to be a good teacher, and have a teaching skill + the weapon/armor skill or activity skill. Then you also need the Student dorf to have the right mix of personality traits and the student skill.

It does work, but we dont have good feed back to make it work.

Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #4158 on: February 02, 2012, 12:39:00 am »

The main issue here, is a poor feedback as to why training isn't goin well, or why it is going well. There's personality conflicts. The Dorfs needs the right personality traits to be a good teacher, and have a teaching skill + the weapon/armor skill or activity skill. Then you also need the Student dorf to have the right mix of personality traits and the student skill.

It does work, but we dont have good feed back to make it work.

Argh, training via the traditional method is more complicated than I thought, and so easy to render ineffective. It wouldn't be half as bad, even without the feedback, if student skill was easier to come by, or if acquiring student and teacher skill were essentially minor speedbumps to simulate the slowness of starting an army from scratch before you quickly built up effective drill sergeants. The effectiveness of teaching is nullified by the fact that the most effective teachers can't drill multiple dwarves at once.

Although, the current system that makes it quite hard to train up melee dwarves DOES encourage the tactic of mass green civilians with crossbows deployed against enemy sieges. Isn't mass conscripts with effective and deadly ranged weapons that don't require much training a common real life tactic? ;P
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #4159 on: February 02, 2012, 04:31:30 am »

That. And the minersquad ofcourse, ramming picks through rock and armour in equal measure.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SERGALNORTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4160 on: February 02, 2012, 11:54:04 am »

"mass conscripts?" Do you mean the cheese makers and farmers? There have been a a lot of angry farmers through history why do you think I brought the war scythe back in my sergal mod :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_scythe
Form walking potato man out of corpse. Absorb anyone else in the house.
We have a successful derail.
The Vilous Mod - Jingle berries!

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4161 on: February 02, 2012, 04:43:08 pm »

Although, the current system that makes it quite hard to train up melee dwarves DOES encourage the tactic of mass green civilians with crossbows deployed against enemy sieges. Isn't mass conscripts with effective and deadly ranged weapons that don't require much training a common real life tactic? ;P

Cannon fodder is probably about the most useful way of utilizing all those damn cheese makers and potash makers, dissectors and animal caretakers.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4162 on: February 02, 2012, 05:32:21 pm »

Cannon fodder is probably about the most useful way of utilizing all those damn cheese makers and potash makers, dissectors and animal caretakers.

Plus it generates training for the surgeons.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4163 on: February 02, 2012, 07:25:31 pm »

"mass conscripts?" Do you mean the cheese makers and farmers? There have been a a lot of angry farmers through history why do you think I brought the war scythe back in my sergal mod :P

Why would you add a war scythe when the game doesn't even include peace scythes? The whole point of then was that they were really easy to make from a normal farm tool, but we don't actually have that farm tool.

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4164 on: February 02, 2012, 08:08:16 pm »

It's assumed the dwarfs have the tools at the workshops already, so hoes rakes wheat scyths would already be at the farm plots. we already have a few tools implemented in vanilla such as morter pestle but they aren't used in workshop construction. So possibly in the futer we may need to make tools to build our workshops, that or make them more efficient.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4165 on: February 02, 2012, 08:34:33 pm »

Why would you add a war scythe when the game doesn't even include peace scythes? The whole point of then was that they were really easy to make from a normal farm tool, but we don't actually have that farm tool.

For the same reason that anvils exist, but an anvil is required to create a forge to cast an anvil.

Also, the dwarf's 'peace' scythe is, like so many tools, his beard.

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4166 on: February 02, 2012, 09:01:24 pm »

hence why it's for the sergal mod :P sergals don't have beards. Just another sign of an inferrior surface dweller though :P

isitanos

• Bay Watcher
  • Seasonal river flood nostalgic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4167 on: February 02, 2012, 10:20:53 pm »

Argh, training via the traditional method is more complicated than I thought, and so easy to render ineffective. It wouldn't be half as bad, even without the feedback, if student skill was easier to come by, or if acquiring student and teacher skill were essentially minor speedbumps to simulate the slowness of starting an army from scratch before you quickly built up effective drill sergeants. The effectiveness of teaching is nullified by the fact that the most effective teachers can't drill multiple dwarves at once.
I've mastered pretty much everything else to the point of finding DF pretty easy (unless I unleash the HFS of course), but THIS "revamp" of the military got me to stop playing. Managing a military (both training and reliably equipping them) is SO incredibly frustrating now that I doubt all the recent additions will bring me back to the game (and donating), unless it's fixed.

Edit: I'm not asking for a dumbing down, far from it. But streamlining the interface a bit, giving more feedback to the player and maybe putting a better sense of military discipline in those idiots (with military justice if they don't obey) is really essential.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 10:25:32 pm by isitanos »

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4168 on: February 03, 2012, 01:32:14 am »

Edit: I'm not asking for a dumbing down, far from it. But streamlining the interface a bit, giving more feedback to the player and maybe putting a better sense of military discipline in those idiots (with military justice if they don't obey) is really essential.

And then we would just need to find a single duty bound dwarf to be the commander, rather than a duty bound dwarf for every leadership position.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #4169 on: February 03, 2012, 03:31:25 am »

Neat, justice screen got nice quality-of-life improvement!
Pages: 1 ... 276 277 [278] 279 280 ... 298