Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 288 289 [290] 291 292 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1161778 times)

Anatoli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4335 on: February 12, 2012, 09:33:32 pm »

Baughn, I'm not sure I'm the right person to say this, with me being new here, and not active in the community, but could you NOT triple post? Especially, if your posts are 3 minutes of each other.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4336 on: February 12, 2012, 09:48:36 pm »

baughn is practically part of the staff, and he's talking about adjustments he's doing to the code....saying that is basically the same as telling toady to not make new devlog posts but instead edit the previous ones

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4337 on: February 12, 2012, 09:50:02 pm »

Well I suppose Baughn does have a bit of honorable leeway, but I'm guessing your keep seeing new posts and can't get it out of your head that it could be Toady announcing the final compile is in progress.  :D
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4338 on: February 12, 2012, 10:15:59 pm »

Wow @ the triple posting in this thread. I barely could scroll down past all of that useful and interesting text discussing the game. Baughn, I don't mean to sound harsh but I'm pretty sure you owe me a new mouse wheel.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4339 on: February 12, 2012, 10:40:41 pm »

C-r <left> <left> <down> C-r
C-u 12 C-p
Now, since you are already implementing emacs in DF, we should have Dwarf-LISP interpreter there too.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4340 on: February 12, 2012, 10:42:50 pm »

Baughn, I'm not sure I'm the right person to say this, with me being new here, and not active in the community, but could you NOT triple post? Especially, if your posts are 3 minutes of each other.

Yeah, it's a little ridiculous, especially in a thread that's active enough you know your edits won't be missed.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4341 on: February 12, 2012, 10:48:06 pm »

Amount of explicit thanks posts for Baughn since he implemented new macro functionality: 0

Amount of explicit complaint posts (unless I missed some sarcasm) about the triple post since he implemented new macro functionality: 3

Hmm...
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Hummingbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4342 on: February 12, 2012, 10:56:05 pm »

Posted by: Baughn
« on: Today at 06:04:45 pm »
Posted by: Baughn
« on: Today at 07:54:56 pm »

Welp, sorry, this thing that was said by you, it seems like it is not true, but rather the opposite of true, maybe even false
But Elves aren't Vegetarians. They eat people.
So they are humanitarians.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #4343 on: February 12, 2012, 10:59:31 pm »

I've never particularly understood why people get upset when you double/triple post. It's not like I wasn't already scrolling down anyway, and its not like he's got an obnoxiously large sig to get past. And as Hummingbird pointed out, there was a good 2 hour difference between the second and third post- considering he wants feedback for a feature that was asked for in this very thread, I can see how he'd want to be sure people saw it. The rude response is disheartening.

Props to Baughn for the new macro functionality- that'll be way cool when it gets in one of these upcoming releases. Thank you!

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4344 on: February 12, 2012, 11:36:49 pm »

Amount of explicit thanks posts for Baughn since he implemented new macro functionality: 0

Amount of explicit complaint posts (unless I missed some sarcasm) about the triple post since he implemented new macro functionality: 3

Hmm...

xD I think you might have missed a little sarcasm.

What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4345 on: February 12, 2012, 11:38:54 pm »

This is why disclaimers are very useful things.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4346 on: February 12, 2012, 11:41:15 pm »

Also, we really should have a sarcasm font or punctuation symbol. Because "/sarcasm" doesn't quite cut it.

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4347 on: February 12, 2012, 11:53:55 pm »

Do you think getting the ability to rotate the arrow key functions will do, or do you want something more advanced?
Well, I doubt you need to build in a fully-fledged DF macro scripting language with repeatable subroutines and if/then loops. Though it would be fun. :P

But the idea is that if you have a fortress design that simply needs to be rotated 90 degrees, designated dig, rotated 90 degrees, designated dig, etc., it would be nice to macro it as "Dig, Dig, Dig, rotate 90, repeat(x4)" instead of having a macro 4 times as long.

And if your floorplan is identical for each z-level, and you want 5 z-levels designated, it could be like this:

(Dig, Dig, Dig, rotate 90, repeat(x4) down one z-level), repeat(x5)

And then with a single keystroke, you could designate 5 z-levels of full fortress construction, but only have to spend the time to macro out one quarter of one floor.

Anatoli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4348 on: February 13, 2012, 12:12:20 am »

To everyone above me:

Yes, I suppose I AM guilty of starting a ridiculous and obnoxious bunch of posts about triple posting and my comment. In my defense, I was first, meaning, I would NOT talk post about it, if someone mentioned it before me. Also, my comment was addressed to Baughn, and I would hugely prefer if he was the only one to reply to this.

Now, a couple words to other commenters: Yes, there IS a two hour distance between the second and third post. When I said there was a three minute difference, I meant the first and second posts, and I don't see why it has to be so confusing. And I may be missing some important part of internet etiquette, but I don't consider my comment to be rude. When Toady starts triple posting, I'll be sure to remind him  ;D(It doesn't count when he runs out of space.)

And thanks to Baughn for implementing all he implemented so far, and all he's going to implement in the future.

Kriby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4349 on: February 13, 2012, 02:23:32 am »

Thanks Baughn that is exactly what I was hoping for ^^ You rule!

Edit: Oh and since you asked, the reason I wanted a more defined repeat function than simply holding Ctrl-p is that for longer macros holding Ctrl-P, at least on my computer, causes macros to run inside of each other (sometimes with !!FUN!! side-effects).
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 03:54:28 am by Kriby »
Pages: 1 ... 288 289 [290] 291 292 ... 298