Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 289 290 [291] 292 293 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1162892 times)

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4350 on: February 13, 2012, 04:04:10 am »

I've two really basic questions but they are related to recent dev... first it's great that Baughn is adding more functionality, do those macros work in adventurer mode?  Second, campfires!  Very nice addition, does temperature affect adventurers in any way?  Thanks in advance  :)
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4351 on: February 13, 2012, 04:11:55 am »

I've two really basic questions but they are related to recent dev... first it's great that Baughn is adding more functionality, do those macros work in adventurer mode?
Haven't tested, but I don't see why they wouldn't.
Second, campfires!  Very nice addition, does temperature affect adventurers in any way?  Thanks in advance  :)
Well too much temperature makes adventurers burn up and die. I don't know if too little does anything. It would make sense for really extreme temperatures to freeze your blood, but I don't think anything really gets that cold in the game right now. An ice breath equivalent to the extant fire breath, and ice magic as part of the eventual magic system and spheres are reasonable things to expect eventually but nothing like that's explicitly in the timeline.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #4352 on: February 13, 2012, 04:19:38 am »

Thanks Baughn that is exactly what I was hoping for ^^ You rule!

Edit: Oh and since you asked, the reason I wanted a more defined repeat function than simply holding Ctrl-p is that for longer macros holding Ctrl-P, at least on my computer, causes macros to run inside of each other (sometimes with !!FUN!! side-effects).
Oh, right. Now that I think about it, I fixed that particular bug back in.. May 2011? ..which means it's not part of the current release. Not to worry, it's fixed too.

The reason I multi-posted in order to quote two separate posts is that I was doing it from my phone. Trying to copy and paste becomes a bit inconvenient.  ???

And yes, the macros certainly do work in adventure mode. They're less useful there, but they're part of the basic input layer; they work everywhere. I usually test new features on the main menu first.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 04:21:33 am by Baughn »
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4353 on: February 13, 2012, 05:54:24 am »

@Baughn replying to annoying people and trolls: you rule o_O.

@Baughn improving macros: you rule x3.

Do we EVER get in the future that thing you were talking about long time ago... Multi-tile creatures, caste-specific graphics etc?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #4354 on: February 13, 2012, 06:11:46 am »

Never say never. Though I can't exactly implement multi-tile creatures; what I was talking about was multi-tile graphics, for creatures that are already multi-tile. Caste-specific creatures would be even harder.

Best I can do is make the framework, and hope Toady takes me up on it. :P

But things have diverged too far for me to do much development right now. I'll have another look after the next release, instead. Probably won't be long. (Incidentally, that release won't have the macro repeat key; the one after will.)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4355 on: February 13, 2012, 06:41:00 am »

Never say never. Though I can't exactly implement multi-tile creatures; what I was talking about was multi-tile graphics, for creatures that are already multi-tile. Caste-specific creatures would be even harder.

But things have diverged too far for me to do much development right now. I'll have another look after the next release, instead. Probably won't be long. (Incidentally, that release won't have the macro repeat key; the one after will.)
One after will probably drop pretty quick though, seeing as bugfixes are next up on the schedule.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4356 on: February 13, 2012, 09:17:28 am »

Will the militia be able to leave the fortress and attack other sites in the future, or will that be completely restricted to the army?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4357 on: February 13, 2012, 09:26:29 am »

Will the militia be able to leave the fortress and attack other sites in the future, or will that be completely restricted to the army?
Yes, you'll be able to send dwarfs from your fort, off map. You'll be able to recreat dorfs off map to send to other places off map.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4358 on: February 13, 2012, 10:17:22 am »

Can you comment on the feasibility of item/map graphics?  As of July 2010, it sounded like Toady's main concern was the size of the texture atlas, but given how many creatures have been added since then (300+?), it doesn't seem crazy to add several hundred item/map tiles.

Does this question presuppose that the Army Arc will split the current military into a militia and a regular army?  Because I don't think that's guaranteed.  If it did, you'll probably still be able to use the militia for off-site attacks.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 10:27:43 am by Footkerchief »

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #4359 on: February 13, 2012, 10:38:36 am »

Can you comment on the feasibility of item/map graphics?  As of July 2010, it sounded like Toady's main concern was the size of the texture atlas, but given how many creatures have been added since then (300+?), it doesn't seem crazy to add several hundred item/map tiles.
This is still a going concern, with the texture atlas working as it does now. I'd need to do some fairly hefty surgery to make it possible.

However, quite frankly it is not reasonable to maintain five separate renderers. The most likely path from here is to cut it down to three: One text-mode (curses) 'renderer', one SDL-based using only 2D graphics, and one OpenGL-based that will only attempt to work on up-to-date hardware that supports <significant parts of OpenGL 3> but will also support shaded/animated tilesets.

With a restriction like that, I'd be able to write clean code that avoids the limitations of the current OpenGL output, and with only two graphical renderers to maintain it'd be reasonable to support everything we want to support (TTF, etc.) on both of them.

Unfortunately the Intel drivers do not currently support OpenGL 3, at least on Linux, which means that implementing this would cut quite a few people out of the loop, notably including me. They claimed they'd fix that by the end of 2011; they haven't yet.

EDIT: Eating my words. This was posted three days ago:
Mesa 8.0 is released. This is the first version of Mesa to support OpenGL 3.0 and GLSL 1.30 (with the i965 driver). See the release notes for more information about the release.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 10:44:52 am by Baughn »

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #4360 on: February 13, 2012, 10:47:03 am »

Does this question presuppose that the Army Arc will split the current military into a militia and a regular army?  Because I don't think that's guaranteed.  If it did, you'll probably still be able to use the militia for off-site attacks.
The split already exists, though - a civ-wide army, and site-based militia, at least in terms of entity positions. Not that we see much of that.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4361 on: February 13, 2012, 10:56:08 am »

The split already exists, though - a civ-wide army, and site-based militia, at least in terms of entity positions. Not that we see much of that.

Oh right, those entity positions.  My hiatus is showing.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4362 on: February 13, 2012, 11:18:49 am »

Will overly weak skulls/brains (fights always end in a jammed skull into brain) be fixed in the upcoming version?
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Urist McCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4363 on: February 13, 2012, 11:23:59 am »

A torn brain does not always end a fight. Fistfights frequently have brains torn multiple times, in my experience. Then again, my dwarves may simply be numbskulls.

Baughn. You deserve praise for the SDL and the macros and the everything. So, thanks. Thanks a lot. Because you're awesome. (Just not quite as awesome as the great Toady one, obviously)

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #4364 on: February 13, 2012, 11:28:35 am »

Will overly weak skulls/brains (fights always end in a jammed skull into brain) be fixed in the upcoming version?
We haven't heard anything about that for the next version. Improved nonlethal fistfighting were mentioned in regards to taverns and inns, though.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu
Pages: 1 ... 289 290 [291] 292 293 ... 298