Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1162101 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2011, 05:31:39 am »

Posting to follow new massive thread.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hello again"- canadian stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2011, 05:42:47 am »

The dead arise tonight!

WILL THEY???
I am a Goober.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2011, 06:52:25 am »

The dead arise tonight!

WILL THEY???
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2011, 07:05:21 am »

The dead arise tonight!

WILL THEY???
Now I'm really hoping that necromancers will eventually be able to raise the dead with dance moves.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2011, 07:34:26 am »

If we ever get to secrets being completely randomly generated...
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2011, 07:41:53 am »

Anybody else think of the movie "Evil dead" when Toady mentioned separated (possessed) limbs?
That movie is pretty much what I imagine with evil biome. 

Only now when writing this did the Adams family's "Thing" come to mind.

Actually, my first thought was; 'So that's why the grass is wriggling'. :p
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2011, 08:35:26 am »

The dead arise tonight!

WILL THEY???
Now I'm really hoping that necromancers will eventually be able to raise the dead with dance moves.
curse_zombie
[MOONWALKS]
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 12:25:04 pm by jellsprout »
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2011, 09:32:14 am »

Thank you for your answers, again, Toady. 

In the last response, you only answered the first half of my question, however, so I'd like to ask the second part again:

Quote from: Toady One
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
With night creatures, you mentioned that you might need to do some questing to find a weakness to a night creature.  Will it actually be impossible to kill night creatures without exploiting their weaknesses?  (As in, is there no way to simply chop them into a fine enough paste faster than they regenerate, or just drag them away from whatever magical power source they have to kill them "the hard way", so that we must rely upon finding a weakness, no matter the difference in strength or skill our characters have with our enemies?)

Likewise, if some sort of religious practice to divine weaknesses or to exorcise undead must happen to kill certain creatures, will we, as players, (at least some point in the future, perhaps having to wait on general magic system) have the ability to become one of those religious figures, capable of divining or performing exorcisms of ghosts or reversals of curses on our own, and can our fortresses train exorcists or the like to combat un-slabbable ghosts? Or do we have no power to fight these things on our own?

It might be impossible to permanently kill a creature without figuring something out.  There isn't going to be anything so unstoppable that it ruins your game.  My comment about non-100% effectiveness is more in reference to people that died particular deaths, for example.  A slab might not be enough to stop a hammered execution victim from coming back for revenge every so often, but I don't have any specifics.

Will we, either as adventurers or as fortress managers have the ability to divine these weaknesses if it is impossible to kill night creatures without exploiting those weaknesses? 

In the case of an adventurer, will we be capable of receiving training as a religious figure or whathaveyou that lets you acquire this sort of weakness-revealing information on your own, and become a "Adventurer Role: Slayer of Nightcreatures" in the sense of being a traveling exorcist?  Or must you go out and find those religious figures and ask them on the weakness for every night creature you run across?

In the case of a fortress, we can't go out and search for religious figures to perform a divination for us.  Will we have fortress temples where we can interact with the priest, and get them to tell us how to kill a nightcreature that can only be killed by exploiting some weakness?  How will we even manage to control whether dwarves can exploit a weakness, for that matter?  Will there be a "coat your swords in syrup" function going in any time soon? Or will Fortress Mode nightcreature weaknesses just be pushed off?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 11:33:18 am by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2011, 09:42:20 am »

Will we be able to mod secrets to be known/used by appointed noble?

I, for example, would like to make "The Castle" series mod where ruler grants imortality to best-of-best (swordmaster, armorer ..., but also cook, doctor ...).

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2011, 11:39:35 am »

Will we be able to mod secrets to be known/used by appointed noble?

I, for example, would like to make "The Castle" series mod where ruler grants imortality to best-of-best (swordmaster, armorer ..., but also cook, doctor ...).

Or ninjas with the secret of flying after they reach legendary swordsmaster (or grower, for historicallity).
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Jiharo

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2011, 11:41:01 am »

Sorry, if it is too early to ask such questions but will Legends mode at some point include additional economics information about towns such as main exports and imports or average production of various goods?
All your goblin bone bolts, suddenly rising up in vengeance...
I wonder ... is it smart amunition or dumb amunition?

Asmageddon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: anime anime anime anime anime]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2011, 11:55:14 am »

Sorry, if it is too early to ask such questions but will Legends mode at some point include additional economics information about towns such as main exports and imports or average production of various goods?
Considering that that's how the economy will now work, I'll say the question isn't "will it?" but rather "when?" and "will toady remember to do it in this release?"
I don't need a signature.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2011, 12:13:56 pm »

curse_zombie
[WALKS:MOON]

There are also:

[WALKS:SILLY]
[WALKS:DOG_THE]
[WALKS:WALK_THE]
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2011, 12:36:40 pm »

The dead arise tonight!

WILL THEY???

Another exciting use for the musicality skill!

Asmageddon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: anime anime anime anime anime]
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2011, 01:09:34 pm »

What about:
[WALKS:DINOSAUR]
?
I don't need a signature.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 298