Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1160688 times)

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #510 on: May 26, 2011, 09:42:05 pm »

Great now Skunk People are going to sexually harass our cats.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: May 26, 2011, 10:02:17 pm »

So turning into a were-person turns you immortal. interesting.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: May 26, 2011, 10:05:18 pm »

In some mythology this is somewhat accurate.

Sometimes the immortality was part of the punishment.

I can't wait until populations are more extrapolated then they currently are.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: May 26, 2011, 10:17:59 pm »

Well, I'm sure there's plenty of otakus that wouldn't mind turning into an immortal cat-person.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: May 26, 2011, 11:47:05 pm »

Quote from: Dev Log
The wereskunk, immortal, went on to terrorize various townspeople and villagers for 150 years and still lurks off in a lair someplace.

This is probably the only were-combination I never thought of before. I mean as far as curses go, this one...  :-\ maybe I shouldn't say it. A bit too easy.  :-X
The word you are looking for is "STINKS".  :o  :D
And, yeah, I hadn't even considered that one either. I guess it's one of those lycanthrope curses that really would be a curse.

Either way, I wonder if the game creates the were-creatures from the entire list of creatures or does it cull out some. Like Weredragons or werebronze colossus. A weredwarf might also be strange (not a dwarf that is inflicted with werecreature curse, but a human that turns into a dwarf as his curse).
Those are some good points. If it does not cull out some were-choices, then some humanoids (possibly an adventurer PC) will be blessed with some powerful wereforms or they might be cursed will some really bad were forms. There are a lot of small, weakling animals in the raws. Imagine if the player's character in Adventure Mode was afflicted with "Were-Rainbow-Trout" ? :o Not only might the character be stranded, due to lack of water, but they'd be a laughingstock. And they'd probably get mauled to death and eaten by a family of hungry bears real quick!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 11:48:40 pm by Thundercraft »

hoveringdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: May 27, 2011, 01:00:59 am »

Quote from: devlog
The wereskunk, immortal, went on to terrorize various townspeople and villagers for 150 years and still lurks off in a lair someplace.

Long time lurker, first time poster. Had to register just to express my appreciation for this update. The "emergent narrative" aspect of Dwarf Fortress had already ruined me for most other games, but this just renews my enthusiasm. Can't wait for the next release and the possibility of liberating peasants from the wereskunk menace.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: May 27, 2011, 02:07:33 am »

In some mythology this is somewhat accurate.

Sometimes the immortality was part of the punishment.

I can't wait until populations are more extrapolated then they currently are.

Well, mithologic correctly or not, I would prefer they weren't immortal. There are many immortals in DF already. So many that it is not even special.

The contagious nature of the curse should be enough for the world to always have wereskunks around, without the need of being immortal just so you can meet a wereskunk in play.

I hope this is just a placeholder and will be changed in time( as is the immortality of giants for example). I know goblins will always be immortal though (and I will always put [MAXAGE:120] on their raws).

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: May 27, 2011, 02:21:48 am »

Hmmm and i thought the immortality was just a random side-effect. I wonder how the skunk will be able to "stink". I bet on a inhaling poison that makes people puke and induces bad thoughts.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: May 27, 2011, 02:48:47 am »

There are many immortals in DF already. So many that it is not even special

I will outright admit that some immortals in the game... really shouldn't be. (dragons for example)

While others are sort of throw away immortals.

Anyhow Werewolves generally speaking tended to be immortal to my knowledge.

Longevity could be brought into the game, so some of these curses could just create incredibly ancient creatures instead of immortal ones.

rex mortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: May 27, 2011, 03:11:37 am »

I don't feel immortality is the fundamental issue here, particularly if it is caused by the curse. As long as the punishment is otherwise inconvenient enough, it's not simply a power up. At this point, it might just be. Perhaps eventually whoever worships the god who cursed you will hunt you unto death, so unless you hide, you can never go to sleep and feel safe. Or if social interaction becomes interesting and rewarding enough, you might be excluded from it and miss something awesome.

Of course there will be those who feel it's a fair trade-off. I just might fall into that category. I usually play games to become the king of the hill. So some may see that immortality gives them as much time as they want to grow stronger. But if the curse denies you some other potent methods of powering up, there will be a cost. Besides, don't you want to try and be such badass that you turn divine punishment into your advantage?

Also, consider that there will be other means to attain immortality, perhaps with far less negative effects.

Of course, eternal punishment loses some of its potency because we can just quit at any time and start over.
Because death is peaceful and magma is lovely.

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: May 27, 2011, 03:31:31 am »

I wonder what will happen if a wereskunk gets bitten by a werewolf. Will they turn into full werewolfs, will they become wereskunkwolfs, will they be immune to the werewolf curse or will they periodically transform between their human, werewolf and wereskunk forms?
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: May 27, 2011, 03:33:18 am »

You have to remember that for the most part your humanity is often what your losing.

There have been people who have been cursed into nearly all powerful beasts. They were stronger, faster, and more powerful then they were before but lost their fundemental humanity or even themselves in the process.

Becoming a werecreature sounds like a curse in it of itself.

I don't want everyone to keep thinking just in game terms. Of COURSE a player character would love to be cursed into a dragon (unless they lose the ability to control their character, which may be the case with some transformation curses). A person however would find it horrible!

I mean could you imagine being a dragon? How hard you would have to work to eat day to day, how nothing works for you, the fact that your naked ALL the time, no one could reasonably cook great meals for you, you can't have a intimate relationship.

Now of course a player is never going to have to experience any of that... though should that really color curses?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 03:36:28 am by Neonivek »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: May 27, 2011, 03:44:17 am »

of all problems, I don't think that a weredragon would have the problem of cooked meals. not the cooking part, at least.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: May 27, 2011, 03:49:29 am »

of all problems, I don't think that a weredragon would have the problem of cooked meals. not the cooking part, at least.

Sure, if you like plain cooked foods.

I mean sure you could have someone boil a bunch of potatoes... but you couldn't get them to turn it into Garlic Mashed potatoes.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: May 27, 2011, 04:20:53 am »

Would a dragon even care? "Blargle nom nom, flesh is good, what, Garlic Mashed Potatoes? I can't even digest that, who is trying to gum up my works?"
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 298