Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1162766 times)

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #600 on: May 29, 2011, 03:45:29 pm »

Werebeasts originate as a curse and if curses act like a secret, the target would need the INTELLIGENT and CAN_SPEAK tags. So no werebeast cats, but yes werebeast giants.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: May 29, 2011, 03:59:34 pm »

Will it be possible for a curse to bestow different forms on a person at different times? Like a werewolf that turns into a half-wolf-half-human when the moon is waxing gibbous and waning gibbous but turns into a complete wolf when the moon is full. Or even a were-zodiac curse which turns the poor guy into a different were-creature every month.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hello again"- canadian stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: May 29, 2011, 04:59:45 pm »

will we get a sex change curse?

if you disturb a wizard,druid,witch,or a certain god for example :v?
I am a Goober.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: May 29, 2011, 05:08:00 pm »

will we get a sex change curse?

if you disturb a wizard,druid,witch,or a certain god for example :v?

YAPPAPPA- YAPPAPPA- II SHAN TEN
hashagu koi wa ike no koi
YAPPAPA- YAPPAPPA- II SHAN TEN
mune no tai wa dakareTAI

:P

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #604 on: May 29, 2011, 06:46:16 pm »

Heres another for you. Will the game have certain curses take precedent over others? Ie, if I get bitten by a vampire and then by a were-moose, will I transform into a blood sucking moose man every full moon? If I raid a tomb is it possible that I'll find an undead necromancer vampire were-axolotl?

Also, is it possible that someone who is turned into a were-whatever might get the shaft and turn into a were-carp and suffocate?

Also also, sometimes you say things like "If there's time", as though you're on a deadline. Do you set deadlines for yourself? If you do, are they based on dates or on certain key/bare minimum features you want to have in?

And lastly, how many more monsters and things are gonna go in this update? We've got necromancers/new undead, were-stuff, and vampires (I assume), is there anything else planned?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 07:00:51 pm by piecewise »

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: May 29, 2011, 08:15:31 pm »

Then again it might be pulling from civ pops... but again then people's pet cats or whatever might end up werecreatures... and what if your goat was a weregoat?

I believe you mean a goatwere.

I don't think it probaby makes sense to have non-humanoid things get infected and become were-stuff, but it would be entertaining either way.

Yes it would.

Werebeasts originate as a curse and if curses act like a secret, the target would need the INTELLIGENT and CAN_SPEAK tags. So no werebeast cats, but yes werebeast giants.

When did they say all curses were spread like a secret? We know necromancy works that way, but on the devblog ThreeToe mentioned the curse of the were-capybara spread through a bite.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: May 29, 2011, 08:48:44 pm »

When did they say all curses were spread like a secret? We know necromancy works that way, but on the devblog ThreeToe mentioned the curse of the were-capybara spread through a bite.

Quote from: 5-25 Devlog
The general mechanism is an interaction as before. Instead of having a regional or secret knowledge origin, this one has a deity source

So what we have thus far are interactions, which are curses/blessings/etc. The three confirmed subsets are Regional interactions (zombies in evil biomes), secret knowledge (necromancy) and divine (divine curses, right now were-whatevers.) So no, these curses are not secrets, but because they are only used (right now) on civ members who piss off the gods, then the first victims must be intelligent (and whatever other tags are necessary to be civ-eligible.)

Where things get interesting is when they spread- 5-28 confirms that were-curses now spread by bite (well, "contagion", presumably bite.) AFAIK, right now we don't know at all whether this excludes the animal kingdom, or animal people or megabeasts or other fringe cases like that.

Does the were-curse "discriminate" among its victims- does it apply to all creatures bit by a cursed individual, or only to intelligent creatures, or some other set of criteria? Would this criteria be something that would be variable, either in game or via raw modding?

Do necromancers choose to settle in evil biomes, or do they set up shop wherever?

I just now thought of the second question- if they build their towers wherever, then we could start seeing zombies all over the place, not just evil biomes.

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: May 29, 2011, 09:19:21 pm »

Were-ness passing through onto other individuals during gameplay! It's like release 5 already! I wonder if this means you can attack someone as a were-creature and then still be friends with the civilization when you transform back...

Some good progress today :)
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: May 29, 2011, 09:27:33 pm »

Ooh, weaknesses to different materials. I have the sudden urge to make a Pokemon mod after naming all the metals after element types.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: May 29, 2011, 09:51:37 pm »

I have the sudden urge to make a Pokemon mod after naming all the metals after element types.

YES. Finally it has the potential to become a reality. The entire release just has so much modding potential, not least that we can now create reactions that have direct effects on creature physiology.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: May 29, 2011, 09:53:30 pm »

YAPPAPPA- YAPPAPPA- II SHAN TEN
hashagu koi wa ike no koi
YAPPAPA- YAPPAPPA- II SHAN TEN
mune no tai wa dakareTAI
The hell is this moonspeak?

The whole gender changing curses seems to be a fairly common trope in fantasy games. I don't have much doubt that it will find it way into Dwarf Fortress at some point.
Be interesting if Toady decides to go with the whole gender change thing or just changing appearence, guys having children after a gender bender curse seems a bit iffy to me...

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: May 29, 2011, 10:46:59 pm »

If weaknesses to odd materials start coming into play (weremeerkats weak to silver, evil regions populated by blistered giant rabbits weak to gold, demons weak to nothing but other demon bones, etc.), then would that open the possibility of broader material selection in fortress mode? Obviously right now there's no sense to making gold swords and hammers, but if you've got the possibility of things like an outbreak of lycanthropy where they're actually necessary due to material weakness, it starts making more sense to be able to do that.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: May 29, 2011, 11:02:39 pm »

So as a weregoat, does that mean Toady ended up looking like this?

...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: May 30, 2011, 12:46:03 am »

If weaknesses to odd materials start coming into play (weremeerkats weak to silver, evil regions populated by blistered giant rabbits weak to gold, demons weak to nothing but other demon bones, etc.), then would that open the possibility of broader material selection in fortress mode? Obviously right now there's no sense to making gold swords and hammers, but if you've got the possibility of things like an outbreak of lycanthropy where they're actually necessary due to material weakness, it starts making more sense to be able to do that.
I assume that the current material weaknesses are limited to materials that can be made into weapons (there is a flag for that) but I could be wrong. 
where is up?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: May 30, 2011, 01:35:49 am »

Anyone ever notice that Were creatures tend to get sharp claws even if the original animal doesn't?

For example Wolves have claws... yet Werewolves have sharp claws.

I remember in one pen and paperRPG I had there were both Wolfmen and Werewolves and my character declaired that the difference between them was if they had razorsharp claws or not.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 298