Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1160793 times)

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #750 on: June 04, 2011, 02:52:58 am »

I wonder what eyeball grass will do to your cows.

I wonder what eyeball grass will do to the dwarves who drink the milk of those cows  :o

it will make the dwarves... sane. OMFG! THE END OF THE WORLD IS NEAR! THE DWARVES ARE SANE! WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!

Asmageddon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: anime anime anime anime anime]
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: June 04, 2011, 04:26:40 am »

With how the complexity of this system is growing, will we be able to use DF as simulator for zombie outbreak? Will it come so close to reality that scientists will use it instead of specialized software for disease spreading because DF simulates psychology of humans..?

Man, I just had this image of DF 1.0 in my head... awesome.
I don't need a signature.

Dradym

• Bay Watcher
  • if its hard, overly complex, but fun, its a dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: June 04, 2011, 05:48:02 am »

id like to see some vampires burn in water...that could lead to a whole anti-water vampire industry....you know, in the dwarf mind. also, !!science!! experiments.

and i think the bright green night creatures could be evil fairies/spirits-id like to see something really nasty and primordial come from the dark forests.

the whole ingested syndromes could also be really nasty if a dwarf or a secret evil dwarf poisons the water/food/alcohol supply causing all sorts of problems-especially if it ends up some sort of political maneuver if the nobles were really just tired and or mad of the current people in charge.  keep them happy or theyll kill everyone through poison or something to that effect.

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: June 04, 2011, 11:51:00 am »

I wonder what eyeball grass will do to the dwarves who drink the milk of those cows  :o

it will make the dwarves... sane. OMFG! THE END OF THE WORLD IS NEAR! THE DWARVES ARE SANE! WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!

That does spring to mind the idea of dwarven prozac.

Will we be able to have any control over the kind of vampires that sprout out in world-gen?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: June 04, 2011, 12:16:14 pm »

That does spring to mind the idea of dwarven prozac.

Will we be able to have any control over the kind of vampires that sprout out in world-gen?
I'm guessing "no", primarily because they're random and adding options for all kinds of vampires would be a little too much.

That said, I'd very much like to see what Bay12ers come up with for vampire screenings. For example, if there exist vampires with magma immunity, a simple magmafall chamber will show which is which - if the dwarf is a vampire, he will survive.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: June 04, 2011, 12:48:52 pm »

You ought to be able to mod in creatures using the same kinds of tags as the vampires'll have, though.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

irdsm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: June 04, 2011, 01:26:13 pm »

You ought to be able to mod in creatures using the same kinds of tags as the vampires'll have, though.

This. From the sound of the devlogs I'd guess the vampire tags will be added to either creature or syndrome RAWs or possibly a new RAW for night creature/paranormal related files.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: June 04, 2011, 02:25:02 pm »

This. From the sound of the devlogs I'd guess the vampire tags will be added to either creature or syndrome RAWs or possibly a new RAW for night creature/paranormal related files.

I'm pretty sure Toady has said all the tags for these creatures can be used in normal creature definitions as well as syndrome creature definitions. Want to make a black slime creature that dissolves in sunlight... it should be possible. I'm pretty sure Toady mentioned there will be a couple non-randomly generated creatures and syndromes for the purpose of examples.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: June 04, 2011, 06:02:53 pm »

The only problem I can see with all these new night creature types is that it might make megabeasts, titans and forgotten beast look a bit dull. I mean the best they can do is throw fireballs and fly, a few have pretty nasty poisons but that's about it.

On the other hand if fb poisons get any of these new ingested symptoms that'd be pretty interesting

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: June 04, 2011, 06:31:57 pm »

Posting to follow, mostly because theres a new 50 page long FoTF thread that I had no idea existed.

So since I didn't get to read the first 50 pages, was there an answer on what happens when were-symptoms mix?  Like say a werewolf gets bitten by a weretiger?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: June 04, 2011, 06:38:09 pm »

Probably can't because it checks for the presence of the syndrome before it applies it?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: June 04, 2011, 06:39:26 pm »

Posting to follow, mostly because theres a new 50 page long FoTF thread that I had no idea existed.

So since I didn't get to read the first 50 pages, was there an answer on what happens when were-symptoms mix?  Like say a werewolf gets bitten by a weretiger?

Not yet, but it has been asked.

That said, I'd very much like to see what Bay12ers come up with for vampire screenings. For example, if there exist vampires with magma immunity, a simple magmafall chamber will show which is which - if the dwarf is a vampire, he will survive.

And if she weighs the same as a duck... SHE'S A WITCH!

Man, now I really hope witchcraft makes it in. Certainly seems to be low-hanging fruit (along with oh so many features) and at this point is basically a less powerful, more flavorful necromancer.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: June 04, 2011, 06:40:03 pm »

Ah, good to know then.  That's what happens when I enter a thread that's already partway through.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: June 04, 2011, 06:57:06 pm »

I don't know that for a fact, mind you. It's just with Toady talking about the many permutations of the vampire syndromes, I imagine he's thought about whether or not they interact with each other....and hard coding them to ignore each other would cut down on the possibilities so they're manageable.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: June 04, 2011, 07:53:53 pm »

Ah, I hadn't considered things like this. Yes, endless possibilities. Maybe I'll make bubble grass cause grazers to fly. And perhaps there's some way to add the new sunshine-based tags to the sunshine drink.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 298