Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1161927 times)

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #765 on: June 04, 2011, 09:39:36 pm »

Will vampires always get away from suspicious villagers, or will the townsfolk sometimes get proactive and take the pitchforks-and-torches route? Will anyone ever get mistaken for a vampire?
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: June 04, 2011, 10:49:26 pm »

Heh, looks like this release set might end up getting closer to adventure mode capital punishment than I thought.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: June 04, 2011, 11:38:31 pm »

Will it be possible for feeding to be non-lethal and non-infecting? So some vamp could feed on his loyal and willing minions without any deaths.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: June 04, 2011, 11:45:27 pm »

I wonder what eyeball grass will do to your cows.

I wonder what eyeball grass will do to the dwarves who drink the milk of those cows  :o

Ah, I hadn't considered things like this. Yes, endless possibilities. Maybe I'll make bubble grass cause grazers to fly. And perhaps there's some way to add the new sunshine-based tags to the sunshine drink.

I like this idea. It reminds me of the Boktai series. Vampires couldn't eat fruit because of the high amount of solar energy stored in it (granted they could drink tomato juice). In this case, sunshine could be like holy water dwarven-style. 

Ultimately, I'd like all the different vampire things to become apart of this game eventually... yes even sparkling in the sun... especially sparkly ones. Hunting down sparkly vampires and killing them sounds like a decent stress relief to me.  ;D
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: June 04, 2011, 11:48:11 pm »

With all these new tags I have to wonder. Do you foresee the RAW/tag system ever being outdated? After all, ultimately a tag is just a reference to something in the underlying hard-coding in the game.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: June 05, 2011, 12:02:54 am »

With all these new tags I have to wonder. Do you foresee the RAW/tag system ever being outdated? After all, ultimately a tag is just a reference to something in the underlying hard-coding in the game.
Yeah, I still think the game should've made a jump to Lua back when it was still feasible. Right now, rewriting every goddamn thing in the raws into any new format is going to be the most major demotivator for any moves in that direction.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

qwert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: June 05, 2011, 02:02:32 am »

On the other hand if fb poisons get any of these new ingested symptoms that'd be pretty interesting
Urist McDwarf cancels Clean Fish: is a Were-Ash Demon

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: June 05, 2011, 06:51:43 am »

I wonder if it will be possible for DF vampires to have Arithmomania (as one of the random weakness options, not for all of them)... I mean, that's one of the oldest classic vampire traits, yet no one portrays them as having it anymore (except Sesame Street).  Granted, this is possibly because it seems silly, but so what?!  It could be cool!

Mind = blown

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: June 05, 2011, 07:21:18 am »

Will sunlight always be a bad thing for vampires?
Obviously it does different things to different vampires, I wonder if any are neutral or even positive.
It's going to be implemented as a syndrome. A syndrome that makes you burn up and is triggered by sunlight. Therefore, any syndrome effect can be used instead when modding your own creature. Given buffs from werebeast forms are also implemented as syndromes, you very much can have something that gets boosted in sunlight.

As for the worldgen vampires, likely Toady will form a list of possible syndrome effects triggered by sunlight for the dice to pick from. I don't see Toady putting good effects into the sunlight triggers for vampires. The real question is: will the forgotten beast generator be updated for next version to include all the new tags that got created while working on Night Creatures?

I mean can you imagine? "This is a forgotten beast. [Insert basic forgotten beast description]. It becomes even more messed up on full moons. If it ever breaks through to sunlit areas, it becomes several times more durable. Beware its tainted meat!"
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 11:15:10 am by Psieye »
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: June 05, 2011, 08:15:52 am »

Great devlog today.

Will vampire's victims always die when feeded upon?

How vampires decide when to create more vampires?

Can vampires learn the secret of raising corpses? If yes,the system can then handle two types of night creatures on the same historical figure. This means we will have vampire werecreatures?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: June 05, 2011, 08:26:23 am »

So what happens when a resurrected FB gets bitten by a werewolf and a vampire?

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: June 05, 2011, 08:43:10 am »

So what happens when a resurrected FB gets bitten by a werewolf and a vampire?

I think there will be a flag to forbid these weird things, hence the questions.

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: June 05, 2011, 10:06:46 am »

This suggestion was discussed a bit last week, and since no one came out against it

Is it an easy fix to separate bags and coffers/boxes/chests into separate categories on both the build menu and in the stockpile preferences?

It's difficult to macro stock bedrooms with chests if you have to forbid all bags first- and another problem arises when you have an empty bag stockpile outside, say, a millstone or sand gathering area, and your dwarves dutifully fill it with glass boxes.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Jiharo

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: June 05, 2011, 10:16:13 am »

I wonder if it will be possible for DF vampires to have Arithmomania (as one of the random weakness options, not for all of them)...
If it were possible to get such a vampire in your fortress he would be the perfect Bookkeeper.
All your goblin bone bolts, suddenly rising up in vengeance...
I wonder ... is it smart amunition or dumb amunition?

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: June 05, 2011, 11:16:50 am »

This suggestion was discussed a bit last week, and since no one came out against it

Is it an easy fix to separate bags and coffers/boxes/chests into separate categories on both the build menu and in the stockpile preferences?

It's difficult to macro stock bedrooms with chests if you have to forbid all bags first- and another problem arises when you have an empty bag stockpile outside, say, a millstone or sand gathering area, and your dwarves dutifully fill it with glass boxes.
But that's easy to sort: bags and boxes have mutually exclusive materials so you can further sort based on that. It's impossible to create a leather chest and it's impossible to create a glass bag.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 298