Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1152790 times)

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #780 on: June 05, 2011, 11:26:31 am »

Although that's true it doesn't make much sense for them to be grouped together to begin with. They store different things and, like you said, are made of different materials. You can't build bags, but you can build "containers". I can't think of any reason to keep them the way they are aside from "it's easier to leave it alone".
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: June 05, 2011, 11:29:30 am »

you can build bags the way you build coffers and chests

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: June 05, 2011, 11:43:15 am »

wat
I didn't know that, at all.

Edit: Well, now I know why they're grouped together. I retract my previous derp.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: June 05, 2011, 11:45:08 am »

Yep, the serve the same purpose in a room too.  Though I prefer to use real coffers and chests myself instead of bags.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: June 05, 2011, 11:52:34 am »

Yep, the serve the same purpose in a room too.  Though I prefer to use real coffers and chests myself instead of bags.

The may serve the same purpose in a room, but bags have a while different set of functions that coffers et al don't- they store seeds, sand, dye and so on. Unless it is studded with diamonds, i want a bag being used for sand and seeds, not decorating a bedroom. As far as Im concerned, bags have enough special functions to be distinct from coffers.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: June 05, 2011, 02:05:36 pm »

The new  glorious dev notes are awesome, it'll add a whole lot to adventure and fortress mode. With multiple night creatures, strange powers and associated syndroms, DF is going to have its own World of Darkness.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: June 05, 2011, 02:33:05 pm »

Given the advent of very time-dependent creatures, have you considered reworking the time compression in Fortress mode? If not, how do you envision creatures like this working given the time scale?

I mean obviously vampires make absolutely no sense in Fortress mode where it's "always day", and even werewolves may have a maximum of 30 seconds or so of screen time given the current time compression.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: June 05, 2011, 03:07:45 pm »

A hilarious defense against werebeasts might simply involve a long maze that has to be passed through to get to the fort. By the time the monster finds a dwarf, so much time has passed that its transformation has expired, and it is now a weak being incapable of infecting others, that can be finished off by any passing peasant.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: June 05, 2011, 03:20:07 pm »

Given the advent of very time-dependent creatures,have you considered reworking the time compression in Fortress mode? If not, how do you envision creatures like this working given the time scale?

I mean obviously vampires make absolutely no sense in Fortress mode where it's "always day", and even werewolves may have a maximum of 30 seconds or so of screen time given the current time compression.

I don't think it is always day, it is abstracted. Dwarves doesn't sleep one second each dozen seconds, nor they eat every day. Though it would be nice if there was a reworking, hopefully with a Fast Forwarding option. But I think this would need a great rewrite.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: June 05, 2011, 03:31:52 pm »

Don't forget that there's no sun underground.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: June 05, 2011, 03:41:37 pm »

Don't forget that there's no sun underground.
I do have to point out that this sounds like a megaproject in the making. After all, we spend so much time trying to take heat from the underground, and place it in the outside world. Why not take the sun and put some heat back inside the world...
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: June 05, 2011, 03:49:41 pm »

Yeah, all that pitchblende could finally see some use.

Speaking of which... pitchblende.. lead...

With the food (and material) based symptoms and weaknesses now being available, would (accidental) food poisoning from improper tableware materials become a sufficiently low-hanging fruit for reasonably expedient inclusion?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 03:53:16 pm by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: June 05, 2011, 04:04:47 pm »

Given the advent of very time-dependent creatures,have you considered reworking the time compression in Fortress mode? If not, how do you envision creatures like this working given the time scale?

I don't think it is always day, it is abstracted. Dwarves doesn't sleep one second each dozen seconds, nor they eat every day. Though it would be nice if there was a reworking, hopefully with a Fast Forwarding option. But I think this would need a great rewrite.

Right, it is abstracted, which I guess is what I'm talking about. If it continues to be abstracted then vampires will function identically to werewolves, in that they stick around for a few 'days' or some such nonsense.

I'm not even sure if there is a better system than what we have, but I've been wanting a "more accurate" version of the day cycle for awhile in fort mode, and I think now is a good chance to take a stab at it.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: June 05, 2011, 04:15:03 pm »

Right, it is abstracted, which I guess is what I'm talking about. If it continues to be abstracted then vampires will function identically to werewolves, in that they stick around for a few 'days' or some such nonsense.

I'm not even sure if there is a better system than what we have, but I've been wanting a "more accurate" version of the day cycle for awhile in fort mode, and I think now is a good chance to take a stab at it.

The problem is that I doubt it would be just a stab ...more likely it would take months to be dealt with. But I do agree with you - the time compression will only make things more difficult as the development goes on.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: June 05, 2011, 06:29:20 pm »

With the food (and material) based symptoms and weaknesses now being available, would (accidental) food poisoning from improper tableware materials become a sufficiently low-hanging fruit for reasonably expedient inclusion?
Well, this will likely have to wait at least for dwarf mode inns - when Toady has stated (I think) he'll be taking a look at getting mugs into actual fortress use (maybe). 

Even then I don't know how simple it is, because if you cup isn't melting and you don't eat your cup, then there isn't any problem as far as DF knows. 
where is up?
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 298