Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1152749 times)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #825 on: June 06, 2011, 02:44:30 am »

Dammit! I had no time to ask mine today!

Anyway:It is possible for adventurers to become necromancers/werebeasts/vampires, right? Or at least recruit a necromancer to join you?
werewolves yes (devlog indicates so)
vampires presumably yes (drinking vampire blood is certainly possible in adventure mode)
adventurer necromancers no (Toady indicated he isn't going to bother with a necromancy interface)
necromancer recruits maybe (depends on if you can find a friendly one, but it is unlikely, since it sounds like they run off and become evil pretty much straight away)

To become a necromancer, it seemed like you'd have to find a slab where the secret of necromancy was written by a god a long time ago and hidden in the catacombs.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: June 06, 2011, 03:44:52 am »

Well, that was an entertaining devlog.  It's nice to be back to the storytime portion of the dev-cycle, reminds me of when taming first went in.  It certainly raises the question of why vampires are supposed to be so secretive, when they can easily whip anybody's butt in a straight fight, and I love to see that Dwarf Fortress will allow for a broader range of possibilities.  But as awesome as the story of Imbo Trussedringed the tyrannical vampire godhead was, it was the bug that really made me laugh.

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Zombie 1: Mmmmrrrrrrhhhhhh... I dunno, living a hundred years without a wrinkle?  Seems pretty fishy to me.
Zombie 2: Ggggrrrrrrhhhhggg... Yeah, I hear you.  I mean, we don't age, but we're dead, that's just how it works.  What's his excuse?
Zombie 3: Nnnggggggghhhhh... I don't want to point any fingers, but you don't suppose it's... Just maybe... Dark magic?
Zombies 1 and 2: Zoinks!

I know it's certainly a bug as currently intended, but given the range of possibilities in raised creatures, is there any traction to the idea of a necromancer raising intelligent motile undead, and then being deposed by his creations?  That's got a lot of literary history.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: June 06, 2011, 04:01:43 am »

It certainly would be interesting if Zombies did continue to age... and thus have their flesh continuously rot.

Hense a Necromancer would eventually have to get new zombies to replace his old ones.

eux0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: June 06, 2011, 04:21:48 am »

2 questions concerning material weaknesses:
toady, do you have a timeline to overhauling the weapons(and items in general) to be multi-material(studding/difference between blade and handle)? is this something that will come during the caravan arc(i remembered some kind of combat overhaul being on the dev-list for one of the releases)? and do you have any plans already to how ornaments will impact combat(eg. will a steel-sword with silver-images on the blade be worse than a silver-sword against a weak-to-silver-Ñ?)?
and:
do we have to wait for the personality-rewrite for nightcreatures to spread false rumours about their weaknesses or will something like this come earlier/later?

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #829 on: June 06, 2011, 04:22:54 am »

It certainly would be interesting if Zombies did continue to age... and thus have their flesh continuously rot.

Hense a Necromancer would eventually have to get new zombies to replace his old ones.

Fleshless zombies are called skeletons.  Now when the bones finally become brittle and break then he'd have to find new minions.  Unless there some sort of corporeal ghost like thing, a ghost without a soul, not sure how'd that work but I suggest either calling them wraiths or revenants.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: June 06, 2011, 06:21:40 am »

"The zombies became suspicious of the necromancer after he failed to age and he fled into the wilderness..."

One of the most hilarious bugs ever?

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: June 06, 2011, 06:45:42 am »

you havent been playing dwarf fortress for long, did you?

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: June 06, 2011, 06:49:50 am »

toady, do you have a timeline to overhauling the weapons(and items in general) to be multi-material(studding/difference between blade and handle)? is this something that will come during the caravan arc(i remembered some kind of combat overhaul being on the dev-list for one of the releases)? and do you have any plans already to how ornaments will impact combat(eg. will a steel-sword with silver-images on the blade be worse than a silver-sword against a weak-to-silver-Ñ?)?
and:
do we have to wait for the personality-rewrite for nightcreatures to spread false rumours about their weaknesses or will something like this come earlier/later?

As it seems to me, the game is still working on a weapon material basis. It gets the original force of the blow from the weapon material, so it should be modifying it according to the weapon material as well. It would also be pretty overpowered considering you could just stud your weapons with every material available and then never care about werewolves (or vampires I guess?) again.
Anyway, it would have to wait for yet another combat rewrite, which is still far in the future I guess... (Probably when he decides to do multi-material weapons like you mentioned them, which is definitly far off)

Also I don't think the people in adventure mode tell you about the weaknesses of their feared foes, because if they'd know them, those enemies wouldn't be all that dangerous to them. In fortress mode, you'd either have to find out for yourself, or (unlikely I think) it will be in the creature-description.

irdsm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: June 06, 2011, 06:58:29 am »

and:

As it seems to me, the game is still working on a weapon material basis. It gets the original force of the blow from the weapon material, so it should be modifying it according to the weapon material as well. It would also be pretty overpowered considering you could just stud your weapons with every material available and then never care about werewolves (or vampires I guess?) again.
Anyway, it would have to wait for yet another combat rewrite, which is still far in the future I guess... (Probably when he decides to do multi-material weapons like you mentioned them, which is definitly far off)

Also I don't think the people in adventure mode tell you about the weaknesses of their feared foes, because if they'd know them, those enemies wouldn't be all that dangerous to them. In fortress mode, you'd either have to find out for yourself, or (unlikely I think) it will be in the creature-description.

The way toady has been going lately it wouldn't surprise me if he slid that in during the caravan arc.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: June 06, 2011, 07:00:01 am »

I just want to point out that this has been more than a month straight of daily devlogs. I'm gustaing pretty hard right now.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #835 on: June 06, 2011, 07:05:22 am »

you havent been playing dwarf fortress for long, did you?

Oh come on

Z1: You know, that black robe wearing guy tha raised us to undeath is kinda weird.
Z2: Ay, after all he did order us to attack village last week and slaughter peasants.
Z1: And then he raised them as usual, this is were Johny came from. Aint that normal thing to do for necromancer?
Zombie Johny: Howdy
Z2: Right, that is kind of usual thing. He has been doing it for past hundred and fifty years or so as far as i can remember.
Z1: A hundred and fifty years?
Z2: nods.
Z1: Do people even live that long?
Z2: Now that you mention it... over hundred years is kinda too long.
Z1: You do suppose he might be using some evil black magic to stay alive?
Z2: ...
Zombie Johny: Our evil necromancer master is an evil necromancer master!? But, um, that is kinda bad for us, right?
Z1: ...
Z2: ...
Z1: Lets not do anything rash. No torches or pitchforks or anything like that, lets just leave silently, okay?

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: June 06, 2011, 07:15:58 am »

still, dwarf fortress bugs are ripe with humour, this one didn't even reach our hands

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: June 06, 2011, 07:27:26 am »

"In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills"

It could happen! I saw a movie about this, where some priest was making zombies who all thought they were still alive. I can't remember what the name of it was. When they figured out they were all actually dead they were pissed.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: June 06, 2011, 07:27:34 am »

Oh come on

While one of the better ones, my first thought was the same as Askot's. There have been some really crazy fun bugs in the past.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: June 06, 2011, 07:28:22 am »

Yeah, world gen just ended at year 151, and the guy was still there.  I'll probably use the same world to test adventures killing these guys without making the whole civ hate you, which is nextish.  People should be happy to see them and their cultists dead.

Does this mean that the remaining "loyalty cascade" bugs are due to be fixed?
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 298