Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1152798 times)

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #840 on: June 06, 2011, 07:49:33 am »

I think that bug is pretty damn hilarious. It cracked me up.

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: June 06, 2011, 08:39:55 am »

"In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills"

It could happen! I saw a movie about this, where some priest was making zombies who all thought they were still alive. I can't remember what the name of it was. When they figured out they were all actually dead they were pissed.

Someone please tell me the name of that movie, I love trash movies :D

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: June 06, 2011, 08:50:43 am »

Haha oh wow.

Quote from: Toady
Quote from: freeformschooler
Is having a scripting language for manipulating things (much like DFHack is doing to a small extent) something you've considered? Like I said, it's been brought up a few times, so I was wondering if this was more of a post-1.0 goal
With all these new tags I have to wonder. Do you foresee the RAW/tag system ever being outdated? After all, ultimately a tag is just a reference to something in the underlying hard-coding in the game.

There's a major accessibility issue in stepping up to an actual language, beyond whatever barriers the raws and the rest of the game already throw up.  I also have no experience with it so I'm not sure how to get it linked in with everything while keeping the memory and speed healthy, since it would be pervasive throughout a real-time environment that already suffers from speed problems.  I don't imagine that's guaranteed to go smoothly.

Did I really ask the same question twice? Sorry Toady, didn't mean to be impatient, I've got a short memory!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 09:35:50 am by freeformschooler »

Lord Zack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: June 06, 2011, 09:20:49 am »

When I saw that there will be dungeons under cities I was pretty excited. Some good old dungeon delving! However I wonder if dungeons will occur in contexts other than just under cities?

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: June 06, 2011, 09:34:28 am »

When I saw that there will be dungeons under cities I was pretty excited. Some good old dungeon delving! However I wonder if dungeons will occur in contexts other than just under cities?
I think they can occur under necromancer towers as well, and the pyramids are out in the Valley of the Kings style areas.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: June 06, 2011, 09:39:48 am »

Oh come on

While one of the better ones, my first thought was the same as Askot's. There have been some really crazy fun bugs in the past.

True- just off the top of my head, Scalyrends the Alligator beat this one hands down.

And hey, it looks like adventure mode has healthcare now! All you have to do is turn into a werewolf, and all your wounds will be gone! And all your equipment, but hey, them's the breaks.

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: June 06, 2011, 09:57:23 am »

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Zombie 1: Mmmmrrrrrrhhhhhh... I dunno, living a hundred years without a wrinkle?  Seems pretty fishy to me.
Zombie 2: Ggggrrrrrrhhhhggg... Yeah, I hear you.  I mean, we don't age, but we're dead, that's just how it works.  What's his excuse?
Zombie 3: Nnnggggggghhhhh... I don't want to point any fingers, but you don't suppose it's... Just maybe... Dark magic?
Zombies 1 and 2: Zoinks!

For some reason I was thinking this:

Zombie: Are you a necromancer?
Necromancer: Yes and you're a zombie.
Zombie: No... that's impossible!
Necromancer: Search your feeling you know it to be true, in some ways, I am your father!
Zombie: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
The necromancer slashes the zombies right hand, it sails off in an arc!
Blargh.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: June 06, 2011, 11:21:54 am »

Woooo WoT!

Inspired me for a quick question;

When were-creatures transform, what are their alignments? Obviously anti-original civ, but if two werewolves are running around, will they fight each other? How about if a werewolf and a werecapybara meet?
Again, the latest DF Talk seems to indicate that each were-creature type belongs to a specific faction, and will attack anything else on sight.  I'm not sure about nonsentient animals though - could go either way.

In short: (warning violent)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
where is up?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: June 06, 2011, 11:49:27 am »

Also I don't think the people in adventure mode tell you about the weaknesses of their feared foes, because if they'd know them, those enemies wouldn't be all that dangerous to them.

Toady said in the devblog that quest-givers tell you the weakness, presumably when you get the quests to kill the things.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: June 06, 2011, 12:02:19 pm »

Also I don't think the people in adventure mode tell you about the weaknesses of their feared foes, because if they'd know them, those enemies wouldn't be all that dangerous to them.

Toady said in the devblog that quest-givers tell you the weakness, presumably when you get the quests to kill the things.

I need to boost out my reading comprehension skill then... sorry.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: June 06, 2011, 12:08:28 pm »

Unfortunately, if their weaknesses limited to weapons materials then... well, you can make short swords out of any stone, remember? Any of them.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: June 06, 2011, 12:29:09 pm »

Toady's almost certainly talking about weapon materials as in "materials with the ITEMS_WEAPON tag", which stone doesn't have. He's probably also limiting it so that DEEP materials won't be chosen as a weakness, or at least not the sole weakness. So no gneiss-hating weres to worry about for the time being.

Although, wood does have the tag... but there we have elves and training weapons...
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: June 06, 2011, 12:31:24 pm »

Unfortunately, if their weaknesses limited to weapons materials then... well, you can make short swords out of any stone, remember? Any of them.

Hasn't that been broken for a long time, though? Last I remember, the material for a stone short sword wound up being the *wood* used to make it, not the stone.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

bitterhorn

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Rage Against Dying of Light: Burritos
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: June 06, 2011, 12:39:05 pm »

Although, wood does have the tag... but there we have elves and training weapons...

The idea of druids growing spears in sacred groves in order that elven rangers might hunt down undead/night creatures with them is actually kind of thematically perfect.
It is a world built on pillars that descend into hell itself, yet there is no heaven above to look to. A world where pain and death await all, with little to no salvation from the horrors of the world. There is no true peace, no true saviour. Dwarf fortress is a game about an eternal struggle that you can never, ever win.

Also, valkyries are cooler then angels...

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: June 06, 2011, 12:39:25 pm »

Hasn't that been broken for a long time, though? Last I remember, the material for a stone short sword wound up being the *wood* used to make it, not the stone.

I'm pretty sure it's all working now, as I've made some Sylvite Short Swords in my current fort. Unless it's using the wood material and calling it the rock material, which seems unlikely. However, I should warn that they're not necessarily much better than wooden short swords.

Toady's almost certainly talking about weapon materials as in "materials with the ITEMS_WEAPON tag", which stone doesn't have. He's probably also limiting it so that DEEP materials won't be chosen as a weakness, or at least not the sole weakness. So no gneiss-hating weres to worry about for the time being.

Both things would be great. However, if the world was population with whole generations of gneiss-hating weres, I wouldn't mind attempting a gneiss expedition!
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 298