Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1162446 times)

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #885 on: June 07, 2011, 03:37:54 pm »

City maps, climbing, and jumping and then I'll have an ASCII turn based assassin's creed! Then I can live out my fantasy of being a superhero in a low fantasy setting.

Glad for a switch of gears to the city maps and city life stuff, those things are the ones that affect the most. Hopefully this means that release is soon! Coming back from a month long vacation to a new DF version (maybe with the bugfixes as well) would be priceless.
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: June 07, 2011, 03:38:57 pm »

As exciting and promising as all the night creature development has been, I'm really glad Toady is back on to the procedural stuff necessary for release, and, fleshed out cities.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: June 07, 2011, 03:43:34 pm »

City maps, climbing, and jumping and then I'll have an ASCII turn based assassin's creed! Then I can live out my fantasy of being a superhero in a low fantasy setting.

We've all been thinking this. We just don't admit it.

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: June 07, 2011, 03:48:17 pm »

With the ingestion of vampire blood carrying the curse, would food or water that got spattered with it curse my dwarves as well when they eat it?
Really wanna know to which level that stuff goes :)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #889 on: June 07, 2011, 03:54:31 pm »

I can totally see players dropping vampires into the food stores to create vampire fortresses.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: June 07, 2011, 04:11:21 pm »

I can totally see players dropping vampires into the food stores to create vampire fortresses.

If it actually works, that'll be the first thing I will do... one fortress vampiric, the other one lycanthroph... could get pretty funny :)

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: June 07, 2011, 04:38:27 pm »

More likely we will have The Elder Scrolls Roguelike. Only better.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: June 07, 2011, 04:46:09 pm »

I can see players actively working towards a kill-a-vampire quest for the sole reason of drinking the vampire's blood.

Tlc2011

• Bay Watcher
  • ..No idea what to put here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: June 07, 2011, 05:13:13 pm »

I have a suggestion:

Curses that make humans [or whatever] turn into another race that they hate [for example, dwarf to elf]

Awesome right?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: June 07, 2011, 05:54:09 pm »

Suggestions belong in the Suggestions forum. NOT IN THIS TOPIC.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: June 07, 2011, 06:38:55 pm »

I thought Toady's devlog entry was awesome, but then Threetoe produces this line...

The building blocks of the boring are also the building blocks of terror

Brilliant, should be the mantra for many a game developer, but by this yardstick I expect my life to degenerate into some kind of magma filled living hell in the not too distant future.   :o
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

penguify

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: June 07, 2011, 08:49:52 pm »

Can transformation-curses be performed on a creature that is already transformed? Ie, could a (modded) creature do the were-albatross-becoming-thing, and then turn into something else when it's were-form is hit with its own were-albatross-blood? (Form 1 -> Form 2 -> Form 3 -> etc) Can these changes be made permanent, so that when form 3 wears off, the creature remains as form 2?

(edit: grammar)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 05:45:03 am by penguify »

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: June 07, 2011, 09:52:40 pm »

Really though, hovels needed beds, tables and chairs in the first place, more then they needed ghosts haunting them.

THis line demonstrates everything that is strange about the priorities of video game designers over almost  any other career. Who else designs a house and the first thing on their interior checklist isn't tables, beds, families or food storage but the tortured souls of the deceased.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: June 07, 2011, 10:23:57 pm »

Really though, hovels needed beds, tables and chairs in the first place, more then they needed ghosts haunting them.

THis line demonstrates everything that is strange about the priorities of video game designers over almost  any other career. Who else designs a house and the first thing on their interior checklist isn't tables, beds, families or food storage but the tortured souls of the deceased.

Well...   me...   but to be fair, my attitude towards my architecture degree has been quite passive-aggressive for some time now.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: June 07, 2011, 10:33:22 pm »

[quote-=Toady One]
Quote from: IT000

How long (in real time) does the 'Full Moon' phase in Fortress mode last?

It lasts a little over two game-calendar days, whatever that comes out to in real time.[/quote]

If the wiki is to be trusted that's ~2.4 minutes, is that really enough time to have some Fun?

Also

Would it be possible to create a were-beast that creates a permanent change to a dwarf (rather then just activating on the a full moon?)

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 298