Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1154241 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Future of the Fortress
« on: May 11, 2011, 12:51:46 am »

Development log
Development page

The purpose of the thread is to discuss current developments.  Specific bugs should be reported on the bug tracker, and specific suggestions belong for the most part in the suggestion forum.  Questions and comments about the development page or DF development somewhat more broadly work here, though any contentious topics that lead to derails are discouraged -- there are threads for those too.

If you have specific questions, I'll try to answer them all, although it is difficult to respond to everything when it is busy.  I'll lean toward questions that involve current developments to avoid pulling the entire suggestion forum in here.  In the past, we've all found the practice of making questions green works pretty well.  You do that like this:
Code: [Select]
[color=limegreen]making questions green[/color]
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 12:52:46 am »

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 01:05:52 am »

Thanks again for answering our questions Toady.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 01:08:55 am »

Quote from: Toady One
Quote from: monk12

Will secrets make an appearance in dwarf mode any time soon?

Lets say that a demon relates a secret to a man in world gen. That man writes it down on his fancy stone tablet. A megabeast then steals that tablet and takes it back to his lair. World gen ends, and the player embarks with their dwarves on that lair. Will the tablet be there for the dwarves to find? When can we expect some kind of meaningful interaction with that kind of world-gen artifact?

Do you foresee secrets playing a role in the formation/abilities/motives of cults in world-gen?

I'm not sure what's going to happen with dwarf mode vs. the world gen artifacts.  It seems like they will be available in the same space, which I guess would mean if it's a slab you could unforbid it and place it like a building...  but I dunno if your dwarves will suddenly all become immortal and start raising their pets.  We'll have to see what happens.
Wow, the catsplosion gains another danger level. Now imagine a fortress full of zombie cats, zombie cat ears and zombie cat tails... Madness :). I guess we will have to design much more "undead vermin cleaning" rooms. And it sounds Fun!
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 01:23:45 am »

I thought I felt some kind of tectonic shift...
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 01:37:19 am »

Is it a bad thing that i bursted out into evil laughter after reading toadys latest WoT? Anyway thanks again toady for your patience in answering our questions. And now to my secret Lair were my robo-raptors wait to be unleas .... I mean i will think about reasonable new Questions while i sip a cup of Strawberry tea in the park.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 01:46:02 am »

Looking forward to all the new raws. Soooo much modding to be done with the next release.

Beyond the stuff I've been slacking on, of course.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 02:47:41 am »

It would be funny to have all these zombie megabeast limbs lingering after a long world gen, cowering in caves and occasionally running out to snatch a cow or something.
Would it be possible for these limbs to assemble into single frankenstein/abomination-like creature?

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 03:06:18 am »

Having worked on some of the Release 2-focused research threads on material properties as well as geology, I sometimes wonder about which parts are useful to you and which parts aren't useful to you, as well as whether or not there are other subjects where research is needed.

What sort of research would help you the most?  And how should the research be presented: tables summarizing the findings, links to sources where you can get the data yourself, or both?  Are modified and annotated RAWs ever useful, or is it better to focus on creating forum posts with the necessary information?
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 03:07:04 am »

Oh wow, the opportunities. Tags like water-breathing... wide-area curses... The first thing to do, obviously, is mod the various weather and water spheres to bestow a curse that gives everyone gills.

Glanzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 05:27:35 am »

In the upcoming release, will only human historical figures try to seek those secrets?
I mean, goblins and elves have little reason to search for immortality obviously, but what about dwarven necromancers?

Bronzebeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 05:55:03 am »

I know this must've been brought up before, and doesn't exactly pertain to the recent additions, but I've never read anything about it from Toady: the game is single core handling. One of the most detailed and intensive games around is handled on ONE core, instead of having HT support. That's like trying to run one of the biggest Hummers on an old Model T engine. Why? And are there plans to provide HT support? It's probably a very laborious thing to do, but it would (wouldn't it?) entail huge gains in performance and the capacity of game content.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 06:05:03 am by Bronzebeard »

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2011, 06:15:06 am »

The potential in these updates in staggering.

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2011, 07:13:28 am »

I know this must've been brought up before, and doesn't exactly pertain to the recent additions, but I've never read anything about it from Toady: the game is single core handling. One of the most detailed and intensive games around is handled on ONE core, instead of having HT support. That's like trying to run one of the biggest Hummers on an old Model T engine. Why? And are there plans to provide HT support? It's probably a very laborious thing to do, but it would (wouldn't it?) entail huge gains in performance and the capacity of game content.

One of Toady's answers (from a long time ago) can be seen here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2888.msg47857#msg47857. I think he's mostly avoided answering that question, though, because it's such a hot-button issue.

But basically, I think that that discussion should probably be kept out of FOTF, which is more about future features. So many threads get derailed as soon as someone brings up multithreading. And frankly, I doubt most people want to wade through yet another bunch of people getting angry and rehashing the same old arguments that get brought up every time the subject comes up.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2011, 07:24:44 am »

Toady one, with the undead comming soon, will ghosts be upgraded(Like quests to kill the guy who killed it or something) to be more interesting. Also, when will booze blood and vomit act like regular liquids like water and magma? I want a moat of vomit(Though how you would make one amuses me. just think "Keep vomiting! We must fill the moat before the enemy arrives!!!")
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 298