Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1152775 times)

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2011, 01:22:14 pm »

[WALKS:MOON]
and
[WALKS:MC_HAMMER]

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2011, 03:28:56 pm »

Errr guys can we cut it here this gets a bit out of hand and toady having to delete half the second page of the tread would be a bad omen.

Thvaz: Sorry i was a weee bit philosophical and tired, i didnt want to troll you.

What i fear is butchering in Evil regions. Skeletons coming alive in your refuse pile and paws scrathing the butcher to death. What would be cool would be a undead Skin or Pelt that chokes you to death.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2011, 04:56:35 pm »

You could always surround your butcher's shop with giant axe traps.  Or randomly place chained war elephants around your refuse piles.  Dwarven ingenuity can deal with any threat.
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 12, 2011, 05:00:50 pm »

Have the butcher as an off-duty member of the military in full-plate. Post the fortress guard in rotating schedules at the doors to the boneyards.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2011, 05:32:34 pm »

What i fear is butchering in Evil regions. Skeletons coming alive in your refuse pile and paws scrathing the butcher to death. What would be cool would be a undead Skin or Pelt that chokes you to death.
Good point, I hadn't considered this.
If it's not just severed limbs, and each body part has a chance of raising, then this could be a problem when forgotten beasts get butchered. When you have a stack of 80 great scaly lizard bones, I suppose there's a decent chance at least one of them is going to rise from the dead at any given time.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 12, 2011, 06:38:29 pm »

I usually block all stockpiles and workshops off with doors. So I'd be rather unaffected by a sudden refuse pile undead assault.

I am just sad I don't have as many bones from rotting corpses lately.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 12, 2011, 07:13:40 pm »

Good point, I hadn't considered this.
If it's not just severed limbs, and each body part has a chance of raising, then this could be a problem when forgotten beasts get butchered. When you have a stack of 80 great scaly lizard bones, I suppose there's a decent chance at least one of them is going to rise from the dead at any given time.

... I wonder if having an evil biome on the map will raise dead anywhere in the fortress if your fortress straddles an evil and a non-evil biome? 

Theoretically, if zombies are raised by the power of an evil biome, then taking the corpse out of the evil biome should "kill its power supply".  Even if it doesn't kill the zombie outright, taking body parts outside of the biome should stop them from being raised again.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Lac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 12, 2011, 07:16:45 pm »

Loving these regular updates again.

Not sure I like the idea of bits of corpses rising up and living some sort of 'existence'.  It just reminds me of the 'disembodied hand' that operates as a butler in the Adam's family.  Just comical and pitiable.  But then I never liked the idea of living statues or bronze colossi, so perhaps I'm just unimaginative.  Can someone recommend the right kind of movie/book to get the right perspective on this?

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 12, 2011, 08:13:29 pm »

... I wonder if having an evil biome on the map will raise dead anywhere in the fortress if your fortress straddles an evil and a non-evil biome? 

Theoretically, if zombies are raised by the power of an evil biome, then taking the corpse out of the evil biome should "kill its power supply".  Even if it doesn't kill the zombie outright, taking body parts outside of the biome should stop them from being raised again.

Going by what I've experienced,
Evidence for: trees growing on a good/evil map will only grow up dead on the actual evil biome side.
Evidence against: a good mountain / evil swamp area can still get undead mountain goats.

The code may be completely discrete from the way the existing good/evil stuff is managed, of course.

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 12, 2011, 09:19:03 pm »

Sooooo. . . . .

Anyone else super excited about zombie sieges in fort mode?

Another road to Fun!

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 12, 2011, 11:17:11 pm »

Personally I'd be worried much more about my stockpiles of -bone bolt-s and bone crossbows. Animated crossbow and bolts sounds like lots of Fun.

irdsm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 12, 2011, 11:40:27 pm »

Sooooo. . . . .

Anyone else super excited about zombie sieges in fort mode?

Another road to Fun!
The modding possibilities for syndrome based transformations excite me more, but it does sound pretty damn awesome.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 12, 2011, 11:46:46 pm »

posting to follow

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 13, 2011, 12:14:43 am »

Personally I'd be worried much more about my stockpiles of -bone bolt-s and bone crossbows. Animated crossbow and bolts sounds like lots of Fun.

I doubt this will be the case.

Part of the reason goblins don't decay into bones is because the body is being kept for skeleton/zombification purposes.  This implies that the object of a creature is what becomes the skeleton or zombie.  A broken-off piece of a creature is still marked as "SpecificCreature's Left Arm" and that arm can become a creature.

When you actually butcher a creature, and turn it into a "creaturename bone crossbow bolt", then you are only using a material that came from a type of creature, but it doesn't record it as actually being the remains of a specific creature anymore.

Dwarf Fortress tends to have two totally separate categories of data: the item, or its shape or purpose as one set of data, and then its material data, which is separate.  These zombies seem like they are built out of the item of a corpse, but the individual materials that make up the body (if removed from that body through butchering, and then transformed into completely new items,) are not a part of that.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 13, 2011, 12:20:07 am »

Right, but I don't see why Toady couldn't add a few bits to track a few extra things here and there.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 12:22:20 am by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 298