Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1154107 times)

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #75 on: May 13, 2011, 01:19:21 am »

I usually block all stockpiles and workshops off with doors. So I'd be rather unaffected by a sudden refuse pile undead assault.

I am just sad I don't have as many bones from rotting corpses lately.
Undead are building destroyers aren't they?

Right, but I don't see why Toady couldn't add a few bits to track a few extra things here and there.
Extra coding time, extra memory consumption. It's up to Toady to judge whether that kind of sadistic phenomenon is worth delaying the release and potentially introducing headache bugs. He's already trying to control how much he's shoving into this release.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #76 on: May 13, 2011, 01:46:06 am »

All your goblin bone bolts, suddenly rising up in vengeance...
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #77 on: May 13, 2011, 01:49:14 am »

All your goblin bone bolts, suddenly rising up in vengeance...

I wonder ... is it smart amunition or dumb amunition?

vogonpoet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 13, 2011, 02:14:18 am »

Wow, plopping a fortress down in an evil region is going to be mental.

It feels like every new version gets darker and darker - call me an elf if you want, but I hope 'light' 'magic' gets some love at some point. Maybe not Rainbow Bright / Carebear levels of love, but maybe random charms for armies combating the evil forces of darkness in good biomes or something...

Having said that, necromancy = awesome :)

/[WALKS:WITHOUT_RHYTHM]
//sorry Heph, can't believe no one pointed this one out already.
Everything I know about reality, I learned from Dwarf Fortress.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 13, 2011, 02:19:15 am »

What i fear is butchering in Evil regions. Skeletons coming alive in your refuse pile and paws scrathing the butcher to death. What would be cool would be a undead Skin or Pelt that chokes you to death.
Good point, I hadn't considered this.
If it's not just severed limbs, and each body part has a chance of raising, then this could be a problem when forgotten beasts get butchered. When you have a stack of 80 great scaly lizard bones, I suppose there's a decent chance at least one of them is going to rise from the dead at any given time.

... I wonder if having an evil biome on the map will raise dead anywhere in the fortress if your fortress straddles an evil and a non-evil biome? 

Theoretically, if zombies are raised by the power of an evil biome, then taking the corpse out of the evil biome should "kill its power supply".  Even if it doesn't kill the zombie outright, taking body parts outside of the biome should stop them from being raised again.
At frst: probably.
Later on, evil influence might even be like a contaminant that spreads like blood does, that priests will have to clean to prevent it affecting you where it is not wanted. or maybe placing special holy totems or whatever at strategic points to hold back evil. Maybe raising of dead will need a nightcreature capable of that nearby. Anything is possible in due time. :)

Toady, your recent dev-note had me confused a bit, You wrote that necromancers were building small towers and sending their smelly buddies to fortresses.

Are necromancers going to send their armies to all nearby sites?
(to harvest bodies)
or only to fortresses? If so, what is their common motivation to focus on dwarves so?

Also, will these small towers grow larger as the number of minions grows?
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 13, 2011, 03:56:06 am »

I wonder how dynamic this system will be.

If the player in adventure mode/armies in the future dwarf mode slaughter a village, will a necromancer be able to harvest their bodies / create an undead city while in-play? or will the necromancer rise be restricted in a short worldgen that happens between one adventure/fortress and the next one?

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 13, 2011, 04:10:50 am »

Well in theory, properly supervised a Zomby is a restless worker who doesnt gets hungry, tired or demands a raise - well except from the dead. As such you can have them work 24/7 even under the harshest circumstances. This and theyr ability to ignore most injurys would mean that a team of Zomby-masons would be far more productive, althought a bit more clumsy and less creative then your average human, elf or dwarf.

If toady goes with that and applys some of his castle code as well we could get a nice Little "Necropolis". Such a place would be perfect for a adventurer if he could take it over.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 13, 2011, 06:08:57 am »

So let us recap. This release will contain:

-Somewhat realistic towns and cities
-Sewers, dungeons and catacombs
-Curses
-Necromancers with sieging undead armies and a complete undead rewrite

Why is it that every release somehow manages to appear far better than the previous release?
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

Taeraresh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 13, 2011, 07:20:11 am »

[WALKS:MOON]
and
[WALKS:MC_HAMMER]

And [WALKS:LIKE_AN_EGYPTIAN], though that'll probably have to wait for mummies to be implemented.

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hello again"- canadian stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 13, 2011, 07:51:14 am »

[WALKS:MOON]
and
[WALKS:MC_HAMMER]

And [WALKS:LIKE_AN_EGYPTIAN], though that'll probably have to wait for mummies to be implemented.
I am a Goober.

FaultyLogic

• Bay Watcher
  • [EDIBLE_RAW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 13, 2011, 08:13:05 am »

It feels like every new version gets darker and darker - call me an elf if you want, but I hope 'light' 'magic' gets some love at some point. Maybe not Rainbow Bright / Carebear levels of love, but maybe random charms for armies combating the evil forces of darkness in good biomes or something...

I hope so, the groundworks should already be in with the secrets and syndromes. Couldn't blessings just be polarized curses? And since the dwarves already are devoted to different dieties, I hope these will be fleshed out as well, to become more active in the shaping of a world. Unless they only exist in the minds of dwarves, that is.
"It's unpossible!"

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 13, 2011, 08:53:48 am »

I wonder how dynamic this system will be.

If the player in adventure mode/armies in the future dwarf mode slaughter a village, will a necromancer be able to harvest their bodies / create an undead city while in-play? or will the necromancer rise be restricted in a short worldgen that happens between one adventure/fortress and the next one?

If this happens I'm guessing "release 5".

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 13, 2011, 09:07:14 am »

Maybe undead rising could be limited by:

-Being a low probability to begin with. (yet, corpses are patient customers)
-drastically reducing such chance of raising when in areas with light.
-requiring nearby necromancer(et.al.) in non-evil biomes.
-requiring an unbutchered corpse/bodypart to begin with. 
-dunno. . .a bug that lives only in evil biomes having access to the corpse/bodypart, that way (many) animal traps could limit infection of your corpse-dense fortress areas?
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 13, 2011, 09:08:39 am »

You know what I am truly excited about? The fact that this release is probably going to be more the rule than the exception. I'm betting that every one of the next few "new content" release cycles is going to have a fun element in it that Toady is going to enjoy coding (and that we're going to enjoy him coding) to help get him through what is obviously a necessary-but-tedious set of releases.

We get crypts, and dungeons, and night creatures in this release. I am eagerly anticipating what we're going to be getting in the next few releases too.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 13, 2011, 09:23:55 am »

You know what I am truly excited about? The fact that this release is probably going to be more the rule than the exception. I'm betting that every one of the next few "new content" release cycles is going to have a fun element in it that Toady is going to enjoy coding (and that we're going to enjoy him coding) to help get him through what is obviously a necessary-but-tedious set of releases.

We get crypts, and dungeons, and night creatures in this release. I am eagerly anticipating what we're going to be getting in the next few releases too.

Considering that we had a year and a half with no release for the material rewrite et all, I'm glad we are getting all sorts of !!FUN!! now.  I might actually start a fort in the new fort mode for something other than digging down to the bottom cavern or making steel armor.  I will definitely spend some time hunting down necromancers in adventure mode.  Having more to do than hunt down and kill megabeasts will be a nice improvement to adventure mode.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 298