Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1154278 times)

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #735 on: June 03, 2011, 11:35:20 am »

Posting to say the next update really does look absolutely fantastic. It's kind of unrelated to the stuff I imagined Toady would do next, which is brilliant because it gives a breath of fresh procedurally generated syndrome air!

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: June 03, 2011, 03:01:48 pm »

Will sunlight always be a bad thing for vampires?
Obviously it does different things to different vampires, I wonder if any are neutral or even positive.
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: June 03, 2011, 03:37:02 pm »

Somehow I don't think there will be solar powered vampires.

That being said I wonder how vampires will work in dwarf mode due to the extra pace that time moves

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: June 03, 2011, 04:14:11 pm »

In the DF Talk it has been stated that the night creature effects and syndromes and properties will be randomized for the world. Sometimes vampires will be burned by light and sometimes not so much.
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: June 03, 2011, 05:19:07 pm »

Does that mean there will be one random type of vampire per world or does that mean that all syndromes are randomised and there could be several instances of syndrome in a world that are 'vampirey'?
(That does sound like a likely init setting; randomized syndromes: NO\YES\ALL)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: June 03, 2011, 05:20:20 pm »

I wonder if it will be possible for DF vampires to have Arithmomania (as one of the random weakness options, not for all of them)... I mean, that's one of the oldest classic vampire traits, yet no one portrays them as having it anymore (except Sesame Street).  Granted, this is possibly because it seems silly, but so what?!  It could be cool!

Actually, let me pose this as a more generic green question:

Toady, many of your forumites are repeatedly linking the Wikipedia Vampire Traits list.  Are you actually intending to try to implement all these traits, or is this merely wishful/hopeful thinking on the part of your fans?

Another question...

Werecreatures first appear by being cursed for defiling a temple.  How will vampires appear?  There are many ways suggested by stories...

Examples include:
  • The first murderer (Vampires are sons of Cain theory)
  • As a corpse that has blood drip into it's mouth by accident (Folklore)
  • As a demonic possession (Buffy the Vampire Slayer)
  • World-gen randomly deciding someone is simply too cruel to be human and cursing them (Vlad the Impaler)

And I'm sure there are other options out there...
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 05:28:20 pm by Fieari »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: June 03, 2011, 06:38:56 pm »

Does that mean there will be one random type of vampire per world or does that mean that all syndromes are randomised and there could be several instances of syndrome in a world that are 'vampirey'?
I already greened a question of this nature, but it seems very likely to me that there will at least be significant potential for multiple vampire types.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: June 03, 2011, 06:49:13 pm »

Several kinds of vampires with a handful of random traits selected from a big pool of vampirey traits seems most likely.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: June 03, 2011, 07:39:18 pm »

Hm. So what if I created a plant that when eaten gives a syndrome that increases strength for a couple months.

Urist McSailorman: I'm strong to the finish cause I eat my spinach. I'm Urist McSailorman!

Granted though, you either need to cook it into every meal in the game or have a dwarf that really likes the stuff. To take advantage of it.

We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: June 03, 2011, 07:56:59 pm »

Still doing tags. It takes a little longer since there's an interaction on a creature that activates a syndrome which activates another interaction on a body material that activates a syndrome, and that sort of thing in a few different permutations, but I think the moving parts are working now.

Am I the only one whose jaw is dropping at the implicit modding possibilities here?

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: June 03, 2011, 08:55:24 pm »

Hehe vampires are neat but i cant wait for the fish-people of insmouth after all that is what i expect of an evil ocean. But back to vamps.

Will vamps have withdrawal symptoms from not getting theyr bloody fix? Stuff like raging, aging rapidly, loosing strength etc.? (just like dwarves that dont get booze)

[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

bitterhorn

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Rage Against Dying of Light: Burritos
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: June 03, 2011, 09:02:52 pm »

i cant wait for the fish-people of insmouth after all that is what i expect of an evil ocean.

Oh, me too.  Dark-blue-Ñ Deep Ones in the ocean, were-Deep Ones running the neighboring human coastal village... *drool*
It is a world built on pillars that descend into hell itself, yet there is no heaven above to look to. A world where pain and death await all, with little to no salvation from the horrors of the world. There is no true peace, no true saviour. Dwarf fortress is a game about an eternal struggle that you can never, ever win.

Also, valkyries are cooler then angels...

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: June 04, 2011, 01:17:39 am »

Still doing tags. It takes a little longer since there's an interaction on a creature that activates a syndrome which activates another interaction on a body material that activates a syndrome, and that sort of thing in a few different permutations, but I think the moving parts are working now.

Am I the only one whose jaw is dropping at the implicit modding possibilities here?

Hell no!

Sidenote: Drinking liquid fire in DF should cause your blood to actually turn into liquid fire. Under most circumstances, this wouldn't be a good thing.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: June 04, 2011, 01:42:33 am »

Hm. So what if I created a plant that when eaten gives a syndrome that increases strength for a couple months.

Urist McSailorman: I'm strong to the finish cause I eat my spinach. I'm Urist McSailorman!

Granted though, you either need to cook it into every meal in the game or have a dwarf that really likes the stuff. To take advantage of it.

As someone else said, altering stats themselves isn't something syndromes can really do yet. However, you can do other stuff to get similar results, like changing tissue to a harder material to increase durability.

I might, but I'm still trying to parse that sentence (which is itself demonstrating the difficultly Toady is facing).

Hehe vampires are neat but i cant wait for the fish-people of insmouth after all that is what i expect of an evil ocean. But back to vamps.

Will vamps have withdrawal symptoms from not getting theyr bloody fix? Stuff like raging, aging rapidly, loosing strength etc.? (just like dwarves that dont get booze)

That's probably another thing which varies by world.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: June 04, 2011, 01:55:24 am »

I wonder what eyeball grass will do to your cows.

I wonder what eyeball grass will do to the dwarves who drink the milk of those cows  :o
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 298