Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1169392 times)

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1200 on: June 25, 2011, 05:41:40 am »

Well, corpses decay after a time.

I am still waiting for some corpses to decay. Mind you they died very specific deaths.

I meant corpses in real life.

Maybe I am too. Maybe I am talking about a person who fell into a vat of salt and another who collapsed in a giant jar of pickles.

. . .what?

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: June 25, 2011, 10:00:11 am »

The ruined towns sound great! That way if world gen food supplies mess up the ghost towns will be visually interesting. And the new sponsorship animal interactions sound great, looking forward to the next wave of them. It seems like a very powerful tool, and it might allow adventurer dragons to use fire breath if adventurers can use interactions! :D
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: June 25, 2011, 12:34:58 pm »

Has Toady mentioned when he plans to work on the other sites that was removed previously?

Such as :

Dark Fortress
Elven Retreats.
Dwarven Fortresses.

Took me a while to figure they only appear on the world map but are non-existant ingame , its a pitty the wiki is quite unclear on these matters and the release notes doesnt mention a lot about it either.

From the last thread:
Quote from: Toady One
Quote from: freeformschooler
will the town revamp starting with the next release finally give us elf/dwarf settlements with actual elves & dwarves?

Doing those prior to the dwarf mode army arc releases is the current plan, so that you have something to attack.  So in between the caravan releases and the army-related army arc releases.  If it comes up, it might happen sooner, if it's forced in some way by the trading, but that might not be how it works out.

segfault

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: June 25, 2011, 06:57:04 pm »

Will there be proper roofs (materials and triangular shape) or will they still be regular ol' flat floors?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: June 25, 2011, 10:11:11 pm »

The only other alternative is roofs at 45 degree angles, mind you.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: June 25, 2011, 10:19:24 pm »

The only other alternative is roofs at 45 degree angles, mind you.

well, you could have roofs with one seam, or pyramid roofs, or roofs with dormers, or...

The angle isn't so much the problem as is the lack of variety.

Re: Devlog

My thought, as far as giving each sponsorship animal something unique, is that some of them won't need something special, and I anticipate many of them will end up being somewhat redundant- for example, all the poisonous snakes just have different toxins, and share the method of delivery (I don't see spitting cobras, anyway.) And if nothing else, I don't see much of an issue with waiting a long time to get them all done right (I say this despite my favorite Harp Seal being near the end of the list, mind you.) Although I can't speak for Toady's work habits, if it were me I wouldn't mind playing with animal stuff on weekends, or every other weekend, or whatever, just as a pleasant change of pace. Obviously that last sentence assumes that Toady's main concern is that he doesn't want to delay stuff for the fandom too long, instead of just being sick of doing animals already.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: June 25, 2011, 10:23:21 pm »

He's on record as wanting to have them finished before the first year anniversary of the contest.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

jockmo42

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: June 25, 2011, 11:48:26 pm »

Personally, I'd much rather have other parts of the game worked on. Don't get me wrong, I mean I love what he's done with the animals so far, but I'd just rather he reach for bigger fruit at this point. I understand that these are sponsorship animals, and that donations were given under the pretenses of their addition, but I don't see any reason for Toady to give himself a real time limit on them as long as he adds the occasional animal every now and then. I love the animals and get that others love them too, but I'm just so much more interested in the other dev stuff and messing around with the next release. :P

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: June 26, 2011, 12:04:55 am »

To reiterate what I and others have said before, I'd rather see more meaningful and fundamental differentiation of animals before seeing more of them. There's no real point in having twelve different kinds of bears if bears and cats aren't even really differentiated yet except in size, for example, and when there are more fundamental issues with bodies and parts and tissues.

On the other hand, I can understand wanting to get all those sponsorship animals in regardless. Got to keep the investors happy!
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: June 26, 2011, 12:20:33 am »

I understand that these are sponsorship animals, and that donations were given under the pretenses of their addition, but I don't see any reason for Toady to give himself a real time limit on them as long as he adds the occasional animal every now and then.

He feels that waiting more then a year is cheating and doing things halfheartedly.

At least that is the impression I get.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: June 26, 2011, 02:52:26 am »

Just looking at what sponsorship animals are left.

I assume he's at around Otter as the material breath thing was mixed up with the squid's ink, right?

My thought, as far as giving each sponsorship animal something unique, is that some of them won't need something special, and I anticipate many of them will end up being somewhat redundant- for example, all the poisonous snakes just have different toxins, and share the method of delivery (I don't see spitting cobras, anyway.) And if nothing else, I don't see much of an issue with waiting a long time to get them all done right (I say this despite my favorite Harp Seal being near the end of the list, mind you.) Although I can't speak for Toady's work habits, if it were me I wouldn't mind playing with animal stuff on weekends, or every other weekend, or whatever, just as a pleasant change of pace. Obviously that last sentence assumes that Toady's main concern is that he doesn't want to delay stuff for the fandom too long, instead of just being sick of doing animals already.

Yeah, I pointed a bit ago that some creatures overlap with each other. Other animals may also overlap with existing features(like a snake's venom bite seems to be mostly in the game already). For some of the animals, Toady may get to them and realize there's an animal he really can't add anything new to. In fact, with probably a handful of these it will probably be a matter of typing up the RAWs and the research that goes into that.

Looking at echidnas, hedgehogs, and porcupines, they don't need a whole lot to be complete. Egg-laying is already in for Echidnas. the defense mode tag from armadillos can cover these guys. Together the biggest thing they need are their quills. For the most part, the quills will be a simple addition to the system already in place. The missing piece is the quills actually being able to do damage. As this feature would make for some interesting FBs I'm guessing it is going in. But looking at this there isn't a whole big chuck that needs done for these guys. And I can't think of anything that can be done for each individual to make a new tag for each.

The material breath thing seemed to suck up some time the way Toady makes it sound, but actually he probably saved time somewhere down the line by getting it set up now. Honestly, I am surprised at how people are already starting to talk like this is cutting into their fun.  I mean, yeah it is harder to think of the creatures as features, but think of some of the stuff that is getting added to the game as a result. Every new tag is a new possibility for FBs isn't it? I mean, now the giant turtles from nowhere can go in to defense mode and maybe make it impossible to defeat it until it decides to start attacking again because it has an iron shell. New creatures with new tags means a lot more interesting stuff can happen and some of these new tags/features can open the way to other new stuff as well. The material breath bit sounds like it is going to add some interesting new possibilities to generated creatures.

The key thing to remember here is Toady will not always be working on new game mechanics, sometimes he will be adding flavor features like the animals. These kinds of things may not add anything to the backbone of the game, but they make the game a fuller richer experience. Honestly, he needs to do it to keep the game interesting. Think about it, the new towns are interesting and awesome, but the new crypts/dungeons/sewers and the new animals/night creatures will make this update Fun.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: June 26, 2011, 03:02:17 am »

To be honest the animal sponsorship was about having your name on the animals raws as a sponsor. There was no promises every animal would bring a new tag.

Toady is worried he can't finish his promise of putting everyone name's on the raws before the end of the year. It is a valid concern.

However, every new unique tag he adds would save a lot of time on the end of the road, and would bring new possibilities to the game overall. For example, the barking of the capybaras brought a new possibility for every creature that isn't really used right now. A night creature that howl at the night isn't really howling right now except in its description.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: June 26, 2011, 03:53:39 am »

I am kinda waiting for the Hedgehog...

Creatures that have "damage auras" so to speak... would be interesting.

Moddan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: June 26, 2011, 04:42:52 am »

Damage aura? Wouldn't be some kind of mechanic more interesting that damages the body part/weapon which is used to hit the target under certain circumstances? So if a human tries a bite attack on a hedgehog the mouth could get injured. Or a sword could get damaged on hitting an armored foe.

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: June 26, 2011, 04:43:42 am »

im not to worried about the animals. I did sponsor but I will forgive Toady if my animal doesnt get done as many of the other developments are far more interesting.
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 298