Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1169417 times)

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1245 on: June 28, 2011, 11:47:52 pm »

Since there will be food markets now, will adventurer hunger/thirst be re-enabled for this next version?

I hope you'll say yes. Even if you think it'd be too harsh on a player who just wants to ADVENTURE! all the time, it'd be better as an init option in that case. It'd just seem... Wrong, to have such awsome market places and not bother buying anything from them as an adventurer.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: June 29, 2011, 02:14:21 am »

Since there will be food markets now, will adventurer hunger/thirst be re-enabled for this next version?

I hope you'll say yes. Even if you think it'd be too harsh on a player who just wants to ADVENTURE! all the time, it'd be better as an init option in that case. It'd just seem... Wrong, to have such awsome market places and not bother buying anything from them as an adventurer.

Indeed...though it would be cooler if the food roting (a feature that already exists) would be enabled on the adventurer's pack - leading to a new industry that would be fun in fortress mode too- food conservation(smoking and salting, amongst others).

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: June 29, 2011, 03:29:41 am »

I'm pretty sure food rotting will have to come with the caravans and livestock so fresh products are still bought locally and not imported from the end of the world. It wouldn't too bad a bug though, so it could come a little after but I would bet the time between the two will be short.

For the adventurer, rotting food wood be good if we had in the vanilla game some way of getting it from game we'd hunt. Mods such as wanderer's friend already include that so it wouldn't bother me ;) By the way, does wanderer's friend add a way to cook butchered animals' hum... products ? Raw goat intestines aren't really tasty.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: June 29, 2011, 03:39:46 am »

I don't know... I've heard of traders who were able to get fruit all the way from China to Britian on foot (though probably by sea)
And even the largest possible maps in Dwarf Fortress wouldn't get close to that sort of distance.

I guess I COULD measure the side of the largest world. I'll see how large it is by time.

Let me see... in a 12 hour period I was able to move (a bit over) 4 tile squares

I got 276x276 (probably a miscount) so let me see

Let me see in Ideal condition a person walks at about 3mph for about 8 hours (but I'll say 12, since I used 12) so according to my calculator the size of a world is

9936 Miles squared

Now the City of Toronto is about 2700 miles squared while Great Britian is about 88,000 miles squared.

So really... Dwarf Fortress sort of takes place in a sort of microcountry or island nation even on the largest world.

So it is by FAR realistic for Carrivans to even be able to transport goods from one side of the game ALL the way to the other without being too too worried about spoilage unless it could only be sold fresh.

Mind you I look forward to a possible, though unlikely, day when Dwarf Fortress can finally simulate sizes that could encompass a real country (or world) but even with all of Toady's extrapolations we just don't got the CPU (though in 5 years)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 04:22:12 am by Neonivek »

Jimlad11

• Bay Watcher
  • Insert insightful text here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: June 29, 2011, 04:53:22 am »

I agree with this vibe going down in this thread: Enabling hunger and eating in adventure mode would be nice. Then I would have a use for all those wolves that attack me... 8)
☼Cat Tallow Biscuits☼...Mmmm...

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: June 29, 2011, 05:34:15 am »

Trading livestock? Hopefully that means we'll be able to sell animals without them escaping from cages.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: June 29, 2011, 06:05:10 am »

And toss hapless gobbos down into the Splodey-Shaft
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #1252 on: June 29, 2011, 07:40:21 am »

[snip]
Butchery is not modded into Adventure mode, it's hardcoded. Cooking via reactions isn't possible as far as I am aware.
Also known as Zuhayr.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: June 29, 2011, 09:14:26 am »

I know, but what is the use of having raw meat you can't cook or treat ? If food goes bad, it'll probably include illness from eating bad food or stale water, otherwise it's not really gone bad. And raw meat may very well be considered as dangerous to eat.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: June 29, 2011, 11:19:06 am »

Currently you can quench your thirst off pus in adventure mode. DF might not be ready for hygiene juuuust yet...
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Chromasphere

• Bay Watcher
  • UUUUU,.,..,..,U,.""T"T"T"T""T
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: June 29, 2011, 11:35:20 am »

Mmmmmmmm  runny, warm, thirst-quenching pu-   BBBBLLLOOOOUUUUUUGGGHGHHK.   OK, I feel better now.

that seems to be one of my less constructive posts
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 11:37:54 am by Chromasphere »
"I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by tantrums, starving hysterical naked,
    dragging themselves through the dwarven streets at dawn looking for a helpless cat"-Vaftrudner

"We aren't customers or investors - we're spectators tossing donations into the coin box while watching someone build their work of art"-Psieye

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: June 29, 2011, 12:13:43 pm »

I don't know... I've heard of traders who were able to get fruit all the way from China to Britian on foot (though probably by sea)
And even the largest possible maps in Dwarf Fortress wouldn't get close to that sort of distance.

I guess I COULD measure the side of the largest world. I'll see how large it is by time.

Let me see... in a 12 hour period I was able to move (a bit over) 4 tile squares

I got 276x276 (probably a miscount) so let me see

Let me see in Ideal condition a person walks at about 3mph for about 8 hours (but I'll say 12, since I used 12) so according to my calculator the size of a world is

9936 Miles squared

Now the City of Toronto is about 2700 square miles while Great Britian is about 88,000 square miles.

So really... Dwarf Fortress sort of takes place in a sort of microcountry or island nation even on the largest world.

So it is by FAR realistic for Carrivans to even be able to transport goods from one side of the game ALL the way to the other without being too too worried about spoilage unless it could only be sold fresh.

Mind you I look forward to a possible, though unlikely, day when Dwarf Fortress can finally simulate sizes that could encompass a real country (or world) but even with all of Toady's extrapolations we just don't got the CPU (though in 5 years)

Fixed that for you. 9936 miles squared is 98,724,096 square miles, which is roughly half of the earth's surface.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1257 on: June 29, 2011, 12:56:10 pm »

In my calculations, assuming tiles are 2.5 feet on edge on average, then the largest worlds are 100 miles long, or near enough to be about the same. That means that they could contain the big island of Hawaii.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

eux0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: June 29, 2011, 01:26:48 pm »

ok, i didnt do any calculations, i just assumed your calculations are correct, since im too lazy to morph them to non-stupid units, but its more the time frame thats important here: you still need several days of foot travel from one place to another and depending on conditions you cant move meat around for even one day.
since there is absolutely _no_ form of preservation or non-abstract preparation form(e.g.: a prepared meal does not need any kind of fuel) its pretty much just the weather and whether youre using barrels or not. so, not even what those merchants carrying fruit from china to europe, that have been mentioned, could transport anything

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: June 29, 2011, 01:28:25 pm »

In my calculations, assuming tiles are 2.5 feet on edge on average, then the largest worlds are 100 miles long, or near enough to be about the same. That means that they could contain the big island of Hawaii.

Tiles are almost certainly cubic, and would have to be much more than 2.5 feet high.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 298