Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1169395 times)

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1395 on: July 07, 2011, 06:13:04 am »

i'm not disputing your claim that you'd be able to fix the bugs, i'm disputing your right to make an argument for open sourcing df

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: July 07, 2011, 06:19:05 am »

i wonder how often bug fixing takes over this thread. It seems to me every time theres a larger release in the works it crops up.
or immediately after a slightly buggy release. I guess toady will know best. All the suggestions on bugs here have been said
before, by my reconing at least twice a year for the past 2 years.
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: July 07, 2011, 06:24:03 am »

i'm not disputing your claim that you'd be able to fix the bugs, i'm disputing your right to make an argument for open sourcing df

Why are you disputing it and comparing me to a traitor?
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: July 07, 2011, 06:30:48 am »

because it would put his highness out of work?

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: July 07, 2011, 06:39:50 am »

because it would put his highness out of work?

A pretty bad excuse. Linus Torvalds has been the boss of an open project for over two decades now.

While I think DF's development could (and probably would) gain from being open source and I certainly hope it to happen at some point, the code is Toady's and he's doing good work. There's no way I'm pressuring or forcing him to open the code. It's his project, he can decide what to do with it. He can keep it closed, he can open it and either stay in charge or retire entirely - whatever he does and at what point, it's his choice only, and that choice is justified by his sheer ownership and authorship of the code.

However, Toady's sovereignity over the project is not a reason for suppressing arguments for/against anything.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: July 07, 2011, 06:42:57 am »

However, Toady's sovereignity over the project is not a reason for suppressing arguments for/against anything.

No, but his repeated and insistent desire that people stop bringing the subject up is.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: July 07, 2011, 06:45:39 am »

No, but his repeated and insistent desire that people stop bringing the subject up is.

And, precisely for that reason, my original open source argument was enclosed in an HTML-esque <tag> to prevent people from taking it as a serious reason to "MAKE IT OPEN NOW OR DIE".

(Also, pardon my ignorance of this subject's apparent... what's that word for arguments that have already been revisited a bazillion times? I'm quite new to these DF forums, I've only made a few casual visits earlier.)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 06:52:07 am by Kay12 »

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: July 07, 2011, 06:57:43 am »

Linus Torvalds
we're talking about a niche game here, you're comparing it to the kernel that almost every open source os in existence uses. the scope of both projects is so disproportional i'd say that comparison isn't very good

but yeah, let's drop this

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: July 07, 2011, 07:08:52 am »

Ah, apparently Toady is on to adding criminals. How deep will criminals be implemented for this time ? Random formation, ot will it be tied to for example poverty ? Does this means Stalkers will get in too ?

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: July 07, 2011, 07:57:23 am »

Presumably, criminals would be based on the ethic tags of a civilisation.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: July 07, 2011, 08:39:19 am »

It should be nice if the dungeons under the castle would have some prisoners for you to free.

And public hangings on the market.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: July 07, 2011, 09:19:07 am »

Presumably, criminals would be based on the ethic tags of a civilisation.

I'm imagining elf prisoners who cut down trees...

Basically, anything forbidden by the ethics could cause someone to be in the dungeons.  Even if it only showed up in Worldgen/Legends and perhaps the speech "What are you in for? Cutting down trees" it would be cool.

Senty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: July 07, 2011, 09:38:19 am »

Will there be an active way in which we can engage in diplomacy, something like sending out envoys akin to the ones you receive.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 03:33:20 pm by Senty »

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: July 07, 2011, 09:49:48 am »

Now, what would be interesting is if a person's deeds carried over, sort of like a war crimes thing. Elves somehow capture a human city, imprison them all because they cut down a tree.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: July 07, 2011, 12:53:51 pm »

In the screenshots for the cities, the dwarves and elves that move to human cities in worldgen seem to finally be showing up in adventure mode. 

Which situations in adventure/dwarf mode are (currently) pulling from real populations, and which ones are just spawning random creatures of the associated type of the given civ?  Meaning that they are either a historical figure, or they represent some actual member of the parent civ's actual current population of creatures. 

We already know that random spawns are:
  • starting 7 (dwarf mode)
  • immigrants (dwarf mode)
  • invaders (dwarf mode)
  • traders (dwarf mode)
  • guards (dwarf mode)
And that real population pulls are:
  • diplomats (dwarf mode)
  • cities
Ones that are potentially up in the air are:
  • castle guards (adventure mode)
  • bandits  (adventure mode)
Related:
Do the creatures that historical figures tame get used anywhere?

edit: thanks Footkerchief - edited to only ask about potentially ambiguous characters
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 09:44:01 am by Caldfir »
where is up?
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 298