Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1162346 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1455 on: July 12, 2011, 03:24:18 pm »

I just find it odd that your vision sort of cheats. EVEN if their names did match up, and their forms definately don't, the descriptions of all the powers befits some horror from hell more then a celestial diety

Who says celestial deities can't look like horrors from hell? Heck, I remember at least one interpretation of the bible where that the angels were lovecraftian nightmares.

Because the Powers don't look like Horrors from Hell their descriptions make them seem that way.

All I meant is that the Fluff text should change so instead of saying that the diety is... A Ram twisted into human shame... it would be something else.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: July 12, 2011, 03:32:53 pm »

Well the main issue here is the word "twisted" i think. I can see these things looking like agyptian Gods with theyr animalheads more or less. Maybe the description could be worded differently depending on the backstory of a deity.

Hehe and if we are lucky we get this chimera and Frankenstein stuff for the deity descriptions too. Who says a prehistoric *somecolor*Ñ cant become a "deity". There are some weird lovecraftian descriptions for the various Angelchoirs too iirc.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

jockmo42

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: July 12, 2011, 03:38:22 pm »

I just find it odd that your vision sort of cheats. EVEN if their names did match up, and their forms definately don't, the descriptions of all the powers befits some horror from hell more then a celestial diety

Who says celestial deities can't look like horrors from hell? Heck, I remember at least one interpretation of the bible where that the angels were lovecraftian nightmares.

Because the Powers don't look like Horrors from Hell their descriptions make them seem that way.

All I meant is that the Fluff text should change so instead of saying that the diety is... A Ram twisted into human shame... it would be something else.

Are they always something like that? I suppose things could afford to look less diabolical once in a while if that's the case, but I don't think the potential for something nasty shouldn't be there. I always figured it would tie into spheres somehow.

eux0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: July 12, 2011, 03:54:34 pm »

not just interpretation but the higher tiers of angels are actually described to have many additional limbs and sets of wings, animal body parts and, as yhwh himself, are risky to look at(i dont remember exactly what happens, but i guess youd at least lose your mind). this brings me to ask:

-since gods seem to get fleshed out more and more, are you also planning to introduce something along the lines of angels?
-if yes: would those exist for every god or would that be more a "gods preference", so one god has his own and another doesnt or do you have other plans, like maybe there is just some kind of angel army that follows the orders of all the gods?
-related: do you plan any hierarchy between demons?
-if yes: would something like a demon-king emerge naturally through power struggles or would it be something with a certain demon(demon-race) to be predestined to be the king(higher demons)?
(-will there be something like demon-races at all?)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: July 12, 2011, 03:58:23 pm »

since gods seem to get fleshed out more and more, are you also planning to introduce something along the lines of angels?

Ahhh yes the god servants such as: Eihmarijar, Valkyrie, The Crows of Odin, Anubites, and angels.

Or do you mean the Celestial residents?

Or do you mean benevolent divine beings as opposed to lets say a demons melovolent divine being.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: July 12, 2011, 04:25:47 pm »

Will there be mercenary angels for those deities that don't have their own? ;)

anyway, my experience is that usually dwarven deities look like a male/female dwarf. maybe dorf gods are boring and unimaginative?
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: July 12, 2011, 04:28:21 pm »

anyway, my experience is that usually dwarven deities look like a male/female dwarf. maybe dorf gods are boring and unimaginative?

It feels more like dieties attempt to look like the beings they recieve worship from or possibly that the gods havn't appeared before them and thus their form is always what the people imagine itself to be (but if it is the second... you would think the legends mode would change if a Power immitates that diety... Afterall the diety is technically appearing in a new shape)

Mind you I think Toady has yet to really REALLY work on dieties. Since there is just soo much he can do with them.

Cerol Lenslens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: July 12, 2011, 06:34:33 pm »

I always imagined the deities in DF to be sort of the Conan model, where you're less likely to see angels, (maybe a valkyrie, if you're lucky) and more likely to see folks worshipping a giant snake, or the thing in that lake that comes up to receive its tribute of 40 virgins each Tuesday, with all the more anthropomorphic 'pray to me and supposedly be rewarded' deities incredibly removed from mortal affairs at best.

To be honest, I kind of prefer it this way.
"I've got a plan, hear me out on this one... I want to almost murder you."
"Boy, sure wish as Queen of the entire realm I had somebody to help me out with this. Advisor, tutor, anyone who knows what the hell they're looking at really.

Alas, the life of a Queen is a lonely one. Do the things with the whatsit."

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: July 13, 2011, 08:32:58 am »

not just interpretation but the higher tiers of angels are actually described to have many additional limbs and sets of wings, animal body parts and, as yhwh himself, are risky to look at(i dont remember exactly what happens, but i guess youd at least lose your mind).

I believe that it is the Cherubrim who are the ones described, and they apparently have four heads (human, ram, lion, and something else that I cannot recall at this point). And the risk usually described is that the person who looks upon the Glory of YHWH will die.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

eux0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: July 13, 2011, 08:41:18 am »

since gods seem to get fleshed out more and more, are you also planning to introduce something along the lines of angels?

Ahhh yes the god servants such as: Eihmarijar, Valkyrie, The Crows of Odin, Anubites, and angels.

Or do you mean the Celestial residents?

Or do you mean benevolent divine beings as opposed to lets say a demons melovolent divine being.

i was asking for more specifics on that too, cause all those options come to mind, and they arent necessarily exclusive.

thats more or less what i meant, when i said
maybe there is just some kind of angel army that follows the orders of all the gods?

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: July 13, 2011, 09:34:12 am »

maybe there is just some kind of angel army that follows the orders of all the gods?
In Norse mythology, these be dorfs. :p
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Parker147

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: July 13, 2011, 12:49:52 pm »

What is the status of Legends Mode's XML dump? The last time it was updated was in 31.13.

dree12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: July 13, 2011, 01:43:32 pm »

What is the status of Legends Mode's XML dump? The last time it was updated was in 31.13.
It was updated in .19 with goods transfer, and will be updated this release.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: July 13, 2011, 03:29:05 pm »

The Cheribrum's most interesting trait is that they are so good and holy that the light they produce (or rather their radiant goodness) reaches earth.

In otherwords they are beings who make everything better just be existing.

Though there are also Guardian Angels who are each one assigned to a single person.

I really REALLY want to see Benevolent creatures. Even the Would Be Benevolent Titans smash people just because.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: July 13, 2011, 03:38:05 pm »

I really REALLY want to see Benevolent creatures. Even the Would Be Benevolent Titans smash people just because.

They just play with their toys too roughly.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 298