Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1162574 times)

Chromasphere

• Bay Watcher
  • UUUUU,.,..,..,U,.""T"T"T"T""T
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1875 on: August 15, 2011, 09:31:29 am »

Yes, exactly.  Not everything needs to be super 'uber'.  My take on zombie's, particularly humanish ones, is that they are not all that hard to handle in small quantities.  It's in their overwhelming numbers where they become dangerous.  So a few dozen humanish zombies against 7 dwarves isn't 'overwhelming' and should be survivable (if they're the slow, shambling type I usually envision).  Now, if you get cornered or up against zombified beasts, monsters and other nasties... that could be very different of a story.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 10:17:32 am by Chromasphere »
"I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by tantrums, starving hysterical naked,
    dragging themselves through the dwarven streets at dawn looking for a helpless cat"-Vaftrudner

"We aren't customers or investors - we're spectators tossing donations into the coin box while watching someone build their work of art"-Psieye

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: August 15, 2011, 10:22:43 am »

Yes, exactly.  Not everything needs to be super 'uber'.  My take on zombie's, particularly humanish ones, is that they are not all that hard to handle in small quantities.  It's in their overwhelming numbers where they become dangerous.  So a few dozen humanish zombies against 7 dwarves isn't 'overwhelming' and should be survivable (if they're the slow, shambling type I usually envision).  Now, if you get cornered or up against zombified beasts, monsters and other nasties... that could be very different of a story.

I can accept a soldier killing scores of disarmed human zombies, but civilians killing dozens of them I find a bit hard to believe.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: August 15, 2011, 10:48:41 am »

It all depends on whether grabbing someone has an effect on him... The main danger with usual zombies is when one grabs you, and you can't break free and they mostly gather round and eat you alive. There is also the whole "contaminated bite" thing.

I checked the wiki for intel on wrestling and couldn't find anything about its effects besides allowing you to do other stuff, like take-downs...

Toady, is there a negative effect to being grabbed by some body part right now ? For example, does being grabbed by the leg slow down your moves, being grabbed by the hammer arm decrease your attack speed, being grabbed by the shield or the shield arm impair you ability to block ? If not,  it could be a good way to make zombies stronger.
Also, zombies usually have an iron hand when it comes to grabbing a prey... will DF zombie have such strength as well ? DF zombie obviously won't have the contaminated bite thing (although something close might be modded in), but will their bite have a higher tendency to cause infections, given the rottyness they're famous for ?

Sscral

• Bay Watcher
  • привет
    • View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: August 15, 2011, 03:07:10 pm »

Toady, is there a negative effect to being grabbed by some body part right now ? For example, does being grabbed by the leg slow down your moves, being grabbed by the hammer arm decrease your attack speed, being grabbed by the shield or the shield arm impair you ability to block ? If not,  it could be a good way to make zombies stronger.
Also, zombies usually have an iron hand when it comes to grabbing a prey... will DF zombie have such strength as well ? DF zombie obviously won't have the contaminated bite thing (although something close might be modded in), but will their bite have a higher tendency to cause infections, given the rottyness they're famous for ?

Currently being grabbed prevents you from moving away unless you win some sort of strength contest with whatever is grabbing you and 'break' their hold, also, you cannot dodge while being grabbed/wrestled. I'm not sure if there are any other effects though
A three year old just made an artifact doll from the skull of his dead kitten. I can only assume the mind control lasted past death.
"Look, mommy!  Now I can play with Mister Fluffles forever!"

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: August 15, 2011, 03:14:20 pm »

I really hope Toady will fix bug with vanishing zombies, while he is at it. Maybe add at last pulping? Feature creep is in full effect anyway, so why not. I am still sad there was no separate release (with additional bugfix release, of course) because of said creep.
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

grueburger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: August 15, 2011, 05:32:41 pm »

I really hope Toady will fix bug with vanishing zombies, while he is at it. Maybe add at last pulping? Feature creep is in full effect anyway, so why not. I am still sad there was no separate release (with additional bugfix release, of course) because of said creep.

I hope this does happen, because zombies as they are now are very broken, seemingly due to the hitpoints system.  The zombie elk and reindeer on my current evil glacier fort seemed far too weak, so I ran some tests with an unskilled, unarmed, unarmoured dwarf in the arena, and he demolished a zombie ettin, a zombie giant, a zombie minotaur and a zombie roc one after another with his worst wound being a bruise on his arm (which healed up during the minotaur fight).  not exactly a rigorous scientific test, but a roc or a minotaur are normally serious threats, and just being zombified shouldn't make them easily killable by the most peasanty peasant imaginable (even after all the fights he had no skills above novice and no attributes listed in his status screen)

Even if pulping isn't introduced, DF's combat simulation has moved on a bit since the introduction of the hitpoint system for undead (I think, can't think of any changes off the top of my head), so maybe its time to see if they function at the right difficulty level without it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: August 15, 2011, 05:42:14 pm »

I just hope Toady doesn't go too far with empowering Zombies.

One of the things I liked about Dwarf Fortress is its realism even in face of what is usually considered a threat.

Though to me I'd think the problem is that Dwarves are too good rather then the zombies being too weak.

he demolished a zombie ettin, a zombie giant, a zombie minotaur and a zombie roc one after another with his worst wound being a bruise on his arm

I think it is because the rot makes zombies weaker (rotten muscle should be weaker). They lack the unholy strength they usually possess.

I assumed that Necromantic Zombies would have their muscles empowered by dark energies to allow them to function just as well in death then in life.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 05:44:55 pm by Neonivek »

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: August 16, 2011, 01:51:48 am »

And of course your dwarves might end up fighting undead relatives and loved ones... I'd imagine that'd cause some problems for them too.

"Dad, you killed the zombie Urist!"

"He was a zombie?"

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: August 16, 2011, 09:56:33 am »

And of course your dwarves might end up fighting undead relatives and loved ones... I'd imagine that'd cause some problems for them too.

"Dad, you killed the zombie Urist!"

"He was a zombie?"

Stupid sexy Urist.

Armeleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: August 16, 2011, 09:43:07 pm »

What?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 10:53:31 pm by Armeleon »
Playing since 2007

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: August 16, 2011, 10:26:40 pm »

Hi, and welcome to the forums!

People don't like it when other people post suggestions in this thread. Here's a better place to put them.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?board=5.0
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: August 17, 2011, 08:37:21 pm »

Devlog:
My adventurer fought through around sixty zombies in the tower, killed the necromancer, learned the secrets of life and death, and then raised various limbs (not my own). Then I talked to one of them, and it told me that it was peasant. It was flattered but had no need of my services. I imagine its little fingers were shaped into the form of a mouth and they flapped back and forth while it spoke with a high-pitched voice. I guess there's still work to do.

:D It's so easy to imagine a adventurer achieving so much and then having the limbs he raise politely decline to follow him... Try gaining some undead Rep points first.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: August 17, 2011, 09:46:24 pm »

What would be even better is if the undead arm told him to go kill an evil monster....who just happened to be the arm itself.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: August 17, 2011, 11:10:13 pm »

"No, Moreno is not here."

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: August 17, 2011, 11:37:26 pm »

Do the resurrected limbs get names based on their body of origin? If not, are they assigned names when you talk to them? From which entity would those names be sourced?
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 298