Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1154172 times)

Darthhaha

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1980 on: August 24, 2011, 05:53:44 pm »

Is it possible for an Interaction to add someone into an entity, for Vampire Civilisations and such
Sorry if this has already been answered

yobihodazine

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: August 24, 2011, 06:49:12 pm »

Well... there's necromancy, could we be seeing golems anytime soon?
OOC: Spess Mahreen: DF needs prehensile buttcheeks
Space station 13 discussions rule.

Parker147

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: August 24, 2011, 07:01:32 pm »

Re-asking this since I didn't see an answer.

What is the status of Legends Mode's XML dump? The last time it was updated was in 31.13.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: August 24, 2011, 07:07:35 pm »

What is the status of Legends Mode's XML dump? The last time it was updated was in 31.13.

Kind of answers itself, doesn't it?  The status is that it hasn't been updated.

Cable

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_OPEN_DOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: August 24, 2011, 07:37:12 pm »

Hey... Wow, I can just imagine with these 'constructed undead', Urist McStrange going into a fell mood, murdering a bunch of his fellows and then splicing them together into some kind of giant, blood-crusted fleshy monsotrosity, tasked with defending the fortress in its agonizing state of un-life! :D
I love the idea of a dwarf doing this and his buddies just dismissing it is one of 'those moods'.
It's possible that I understand better what's going on, or it's equally possible that I just think I do.

— Russ Cox

Parker147

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: August 24, 2011, 07:52:59 pm »

I should have asked: Are there plans to complete the XML dump?

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: August 24, 2011, 08:45:30 pm »

I should have asked: Are there plans to complete the XML dump?
The problem with this is that it is still not the question you're trying to ask. What you should have asked is this:

Are there plans to complete the XML dump in the near future, or is this a very low priority?
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

SeymoreGlass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: August 24, 2011, 09:56:48 pm »

Speaking of profaning and the gods, whill Armok himself ever make an appearance? Will he always be an outside force? And most importantly, will Blood for the Blood God ever enter as an actual gameplay element?

As I understand it Armok is more the name of a gameplay feature than an actual entity, and it's conceivable that he's only an outside force. But I would love to see followers of Armok determined to spread chaos and destroy order popping up in adventure/fortress mode (or even just legends mode); though I guess that's what adventurers are for.
The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration (waiting on someone to sig that)

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: August 24, 2011, 10:24:20 pm »

Speaking of profaning and the gods, whill Armok himself ever make an appearance? Will he always be an outside force? And most importantly, will Blood for the Blood God ever enter as an actual gameplay element?

As I understand it Armok is more the name of a gameplay feature than an actual entity, and it's conceivable that he's only an outside force. But I would love to see followers of Armok determined to spread chaos and destroy order popping up in adventure/fortress mode (or even just legends mode); though I guess that's what adventurers are for.

Armok isn't really involved in Dwarf Fortress aside from the title, and "Blood for the Blood God" is something the forumites took from Khorne.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: August 24, 2011, 10:33:56 pm »

i see "slaves to armok ii" as more of a working title, i think the concept of armok doesn't fit at all in the game, and would hate to see it implemented as a stock lore character. in fact, i think df could drop that part of the title already

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: August 24, 2011, 11:25:00 pm »

I just thought that the player is playing Armok.
Because the player is kind of like an semi-all-seeing, somewhat-all-knowing, and occasionally livid god.

Adventures rise from nowhere to die at your command. Entire forts rise from the dirt for your entertainment. Dwarves and Elves die to provide you with your godly lolz. Entire worlds are created simply because the last one grew boring. You are Armok, God of Blood, you alone control the fates of the worlds you bring into being. 
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: August 24, 2011, 11:31:49 pm »

i see "slaves to armok ii" as more of a working title, i think the concept of armok doesn't fit at all in the game, and would hate to see it implemented as a stock lore character. in fact, i think df could drop that part of the title already

You, er, have played DF before, right?   :o   Don't your fortresses and adventurers meet grisly, blood themed demises?

I can kind of understand not understanding the title, since it does feel somewhat unexplained... however we have been relatively recently treated to some shrimps of information regarding the nature of kobolds/goblins and the afterlife (in FotF, DF Talk and in Cado), which I think has gone someway towards sketching a picture of a world that has a definite logic to life and death, and it certainly seems to revolve around death.

Perhaps Armok might turn out to be the demiurge of the world and so not feature in the lesser pantheon, or perhaps he will be a god like all the others, but I can't imagine that the fantasy world could possibly be better for his absence... IMO Armok provides a gravitational centre to the fantasy at the moment, even if he is a mystery.
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: August 24, 2011, 11:57:34 pm »

Perhaps Armok might turn out to be the demiurge of the world and so not feature in the lesser pantheon, or perhaps he will be a god like all the others, but I can't imagine that the fantasy world could possibly be better for his absence... IMO Armok provides a gravitational centre to the fantasy at the moment, even if he is a mystery.
armok wont turn out to be anything, it's just an in joke referring to a game long defunct now. i can't imagine how a procedurally generated universe would be better with a recurring stock character. would you like some cacame with your armok?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: August 25, 2011, 12:06:37 am »

He did show up in a recent ThreeToe story, though, so...he might work his way in somehow.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: August 25, 2011, 01:10:25 am »

Once we've got people moving around post-world-gen, your arm would have more of a chance, but without a soul, it might not have a rich inner life, and so not really have goals or do anything but defend its patch of dirt.

I love this! Dwarf Fortress - worrying about the habits and social lives of reanimated corpse-bits. Honestly, I'm now wondering if an animated head would have a different time of it. It has a mouth, after all. And braaaaains.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 298