Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1169391 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2040 on: August 30, 2011, 04:43:41 pm »

True, but his question was about if something was stopping player characters to carry people, seeming as NPCs already did it under certain circumstances. I only brought up another of those circumstances where it's done.
Love, scriver~

MASTER_PROGRAMMER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: August 30, 2011, 04:47:07 pm »

Basically, all i want, is to be able to drag poor unconscious fluttershy out of the water, before she drowns, then take the elf that knocked her unconscious, and drag him into magma.

that's all i ask.

and being a c++ programmer, i know, that should NOT be really hard to add if everything is set up cleanly and properly.

but then again, i have no clue how toady one set things up, so for all i know, it could be impossible with his setup.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2042 on: August 30, 2011, 06:59:52 pm »

I'm rather taken with toady's updates on necromancy. It seems that the beggining of the magic system is here....

Would be nice to be able to play a "necromancer fortress"
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: August 30, 2011, 08:24:42 pm »

Basically, all i want, is to be able to drag poor unconscious fluttershy out of the water, before she drowns, then take the elf that knocked her unconscious, and drag him into magma.

that's all i ask.

and being a c++ programmer, i know, that should NOT be really hard to add if everything is set up cleanly and properly.

but then again, i have no clue how toady one set things up, so for all i know, it could be impossible with his setup.

Again, suggestions forum- and it's probably already been suggested, just search around for it. Failure to not add this feature in the near future is not a matter of lack of skill on Toady's part, so much as it is the incredibly low priority such a little thing has in the grand scheme of the game. There's a lot of "low-hanging fruit," in Toady's words- he's working on the stuff that relates to the economy (world and local) as well as some more detailed monsters/necromancy/etc right now. It'll come, be patient.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2044 on: August 30, 2011, 08:39:45 pm »

Are there necromancer-type interactions planned for the other spheres? Sorry if this was already asked.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: August 30, 2011, 08:48:52 pm »

Are there necromancer-type interactions planned for the other spheres? Sorry if this was already asked.

I don't think this one has been asked, but it is safe to assume this kind of thing is an intended use of the interaction framework. I think I'll reword it slightly though-

Do you have any specific plans on introducing new uses for the interaction framework in the next couple releases, do you plan on sticking to new night creatures/monsters, or do you just want your unplanned tangents to remain unplanned?

nevermind, Footkerchief found it
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 11:55:45 pm by monk12 »

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: August 30, 2011, 09:59:31 pm »

It would be worth it to point out. The interactions are linked to the spheres, but not the other way around. So you can link the current necromancer interaction to the Fire Sphere or the Art Sphere, if you want to mod that in.

Spheres seem to be used for interactions to allow gods (who also reference spheres) to know if they are compatible with an interaction. Using my example above, a god of Art might not create tablets for Necromancy (because necromancy is most likely established as being within the Death Sphere), but modding the Necromancy interaction to include the Art Sphere will change that so the god of art will use the interaction now. (Unless the god happened to be a God of Art and Death. :o)

I think Spheres are supposed to represent abstracted concepts/ideas. The Sphere itself probably has no internal definition of what applies to it (however, Spheres may contain info about its relationship to other spheres), but ultimately objects (creatures, interactions, gods, etc) have to declare themselves a part of the Sphere, the Sphere doesn't declare or even know that an object belongs to it. Also objects most likely determine on their own the relationship they have with an object by checking the other object's declared spheres.

Just in case I'm wrong though,
Read the last paragraph of my post. Is this how Spheres generally work? If not, can you point out what I got wrong?

We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: August 30, 2011, 10:40:12 pm »

Nah, sounds about right. Spheres don't actually mean anything by themselves, they just link a bunch of other themed concepts in the game together.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: August 30, 2011, 10:59:23 pm »

I don't think this one has been asked, but it is safe to assume this kind of thing is an intended use of the interaction framework. I think I'll reword it slightly though-

Do you have any specific plans on introducing new uses for the interaction framework in the next couple releases, do you plan on sticking to new night creatures/monsters, or do you just want your unplanned tangents to remain unplanned?

I found some previous answers about this:
Quote from: Toady One
Quote from: KillerClowns
What's the time table for spheres other than Death granting transformations and secrets?  I know it's a long-term dev goal, I'm just curious to know if we can expect non-necromantic secrets and alterations next release.

I don't have a time table for much.  Mods could do it the way it already stands.  Since we're trying to keep our focus narrow this time, I wouldn't count on much.  There are some other things we want to finish before we jump full into magic.

I think Spheres are supposed to represent abstracted concepts/ideas. The Sphere itself probably has no internal definition of what applies to it (however, Spheres may contain info about its relationship to other spheres), but ultimately objects (creatures, interactions, gods, etc) have to declare themselves a part of the Sphere, the Sphere doesn't declare or even know that an object belongs to it. Also objects most likely determine on their own the relationship they have with an object by checking the other object's declared spheres.

Just in case I'm wrong though,
Read the last paragraph of my post. Is this how Spheres generally work? If not, can you point out what I got wrong?

You're pretty much right.  Spheres have no intrinsic definition, although they do have relationships to other spheres.  As demonstrated in the current raws (if you search for SPHERE), creatures and entities do declare their association to spheres, rather than the other way around, and interactions are apparently no different.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2049 on: August 31, 2011, 12:04:00 am »

Oooh, good catch Footkerchief. Cheerfully withdrawn!

MASTER_PROGRAMMER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2050 on: August 31, 2011, 08:35:38 am »

that's all i ask.

Again, suggestions forum- and it's probably already been suggested, just search around for it. Failure to not add this feature in the near future is not a matter of lack of skill on Toady's part, so much as it is the incredibly low priority such a little thing has in the grand scheme of the game. There's a lot of "low-hanging fruit," in Toady's words- he's working on the stuff that relates to the economy (world and local) as well as some more detailed monsters/necromancy/etc right now. It'll come, be patient.

Just so you know, i wasn't implying that Toady One couldn't i was more putting that there for in case someone(who didn't know what they were talking about) tried to tell me otherwise.

i do get that a lot, so i tend to try to find ways of making those kinds of people shut up, before they even start. >.>

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2051 on: August 31, 2011, 10:55:32 pm »

A few more days until Toady comes back.

Hopefully that storm hasn't torn the place asunder.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2052 on: September 01, 2011, 12:08:37 am »

I couldn't help but notice that gremlins (only creature with the [MISCHEVIOUS] tag) have a maximum of 1 per (season/year/area?).
Would this count as a bug, a leftover from previous versions or intentional design?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2053 on: September 01, 2011, 08:38:37 am »

I couldn't help but notice that gremlins (only creature with the [MISCHEVIOUS] tag) have a maximum of 1 per (season/year/area?).
Would this count as a bug, a leftover from previous versions or intentional design?

You should probably include a copy/paste of the "maximum" tag you're asking about.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: September 01, 2011, 01:06:48 pm »

[POPULATION_NUMBER:1:1]

I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't be intentional.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 [137] 138 139 ... 298