Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1154309 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2415 on: October 10, 2011, 09:44:10 pm »

If you mean the forest titans etc, I don't think those are meant to be exactly the same as forest spirits

I don't know. They seem to be spirits / incarnate gods. Large and powerful ones that are capable of exuding their very presence upon others (an unnatural feature).

Heck by all means they could be gods/forces.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 10:00:02 pm by Neonivek »

hoveringdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2416 on: October 12, 2011, 01:02:42 am »

What sort of actions would be associated with a benevolent force?

I wasn't answering that question so much as bringing up a point of discussion.

Really? Whee! I was worried my question was outright negated >_> (which always stinks when it happens)

Anyhow a benevolent force is giving, nuturing, and generally a "benefit" (so to speak). *snip*

Yeah, that all makes good sense. Maybe this sort of thing will become easier to add once different types of adventurer roles are better fleshed out. Adventurers right now are also pretty limited to demonstrating their moral preferences based solely on whom they choose to slay. Perhaps one day it will be possible for an adventurer to make his or her mark also by healing the sick, giving food to the hungry, and such. And when it does, I imagine it wouldn't be too difficult, coding wise, to program other sentient creatures who also initiate those kind of tasks.

I mean, at least until the hippies get slaughter by undead badgers.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2417 on: October 12, 2011, 04:31:01 pm »

Will Items from the gods, such as the tablets that contain the secrets of life and death, be handled as magical artifacts with related powers in the future?

It makes sense to me that a divine tablet containing the power to revoke death would be rather powerfully magic even if not actively in use. I imagine it would do anything from passively raising the dead to protect itself to actively corrupting mortals into using it, Ring of power style.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2418 on: October 12, 2011, 07:30:26 pm »

Hmm a lot of "Toady needs to hire some people to do some of the work" suggestions lately.

To admit I always like seeing them. It tells me people think this game has serious potential.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2419 on: October 12, 2011, 07:48:21 pm »

Hmm a lot of "Toady needs to hire some people to do some of the work" suggestions lately.

To admit I always like seeing them. It tells me people think this game has serious potential.

Of course, best reply is "If Toady hires people, that means he needs to probably double his donations for every person he hires, plus all the other time wasting stuff that he needs to do to get them working properly, plus his donations have to be secure (i.e., making sure we have people definitely donating at least X amount per month and not Xx12 per year), and all that means the game will take longer to make, will be less efficient about the time (longer times per release, per bug fix, etc), and won't be as good."
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2420 on: October 12, 2011, 07:50:32 pm »

What sort of actions would be associated with a benevolent force?

I wasn't answering that question so much as bringing up a point of discussion.

Really? Whee! I was worried my question was outright negated >_> (which always stinks when it happens)

Anyhow a benevolent force is giving, nuturing, and generally a "benefit" (so to speak). *snip*

Yeah, that all makes good sense. Maybe this sort of thing will become easier to add once different types of adventurer roles are better fleshed out. Adventurers right now are also pretty limited to demonstrating their moral preferences based solely on whom they choose to slay. Perhaps one day it will be possible for an adventurer to make his or her mark also by healing the sick, giving food to the hungry, and such. And when it does, I imagine it wouldn't be too difficult, coding wise, to program other sentient creatures who also initiate those kind of tasks.

I mean, at least until the hippies get slaughter by undead badgers.

Hippy? Apparently you have never fought a Vinhiem cleric! He spreads the light with a 10 pound spiked mace.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2421 on: October 12, 2011, 07:56:37 pm »

the hungry, and such. And when it does, I imagine it wouldn't be too difficult, coding wise, to program other sentient creatures who also initiate those kind of tasks.

If they do it randomly yes. If they do it properly, you are oh so wrong.

hoveringdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2422 on: October 12, 2011, 10:15:28 pm »

the hungry, and such. And when it does, I imagine it wouldn't be too difficult, coding wise, to program other sentient creatures who also initiate those kind of tasks.

If they do it randomly yes. If they do it properly, you are oh so wrong.

Well, random, but in that way that DF effectively makes random look like an intentional narrative.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2423 on: October 12, 2011, 10:31:38 pm »

Since raised corpses will no longer be in their coffins, will being raised cause a dwarf to also come back as a ghost?
Soaplent green is goblins!

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2424 on: October 12, 2011, 11:53:02 pm »

Since raised corpses will no longer be in their coffins, will being raised cause a dwarf to also come back as a ghost?

To quote the Devlog

05/07/2011  I starved a dwarf and it came back (as a friendly undead peasant...). To avoid crossing various streams, animated corpses now keep track of the historical figure that was the source of the raised body, even though the historical figure's soul is detached from it (and available for ghostage). So relatives can still be properly horrified by a raised body without it actually being the person in question, and they might be haunted at the same time, oddly enough, provided that evil region animation continues to have nothing to do with the soul stuff. This'll also let it animate multiple severed body parts separately, though it'll also need to understand not having a central body part before that'll work. It would be cool to have arms crawling around though.

Emphasis mine.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2425 on: October 12, 2011, 11:56:55 pm »

Can Necromancers raise and command ghosts?

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2426 on: October 13, 2011, 12:20:07 am »

To quote the Devlog

05/07/2011  I starved a dwarf and it came back (as a friendly undead peasant...). To avoid crossing various streams, animated corpses now keep track of the historical figure that was the source of the raised body, even though the historical figure's soul is detached from it (and available for ghostage).

Emphasis mine.
My point is not that ghostage can happen at the same time as zombification. What I meant was that with the system of disrupt tomb = ghost, a necromancer raiding a coffin will automatically be generating a ghost each time, unless zombification does not make the coffin stop counting for haunt-prevention.
Soaplent green is goblins!

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2427 on: October 13, 2011, 09:12:56 am »

Quote from: erissian
Is it possible to drag a dwarf and everything on them to a corpse stockpile before looting their body for socks? Could it be treated like a special case of moving an injured dwarf? Can properly buried dwarfs be raised?

Nothing has changed so that's not possible.  The hope sometime is to get that done, but it invites a horror of bugs.  If a necromancer gets a tile-wise line of sight on a body, including those in your coffins, then the body can be raised.  I think because the body becomes a unit, a ghost probably won't additionally be disturbed, but once you knock out the zombie...  I'm not sure.  It would physically match the old dwarf in id, and so possibly excite a ghost, but it wouldn't have the right historical or unit id, so maybe not.  Probably not...
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2428 on: October 13, 2011, 09:46:05 am »

The thing I'm really looking foward to about the release, is just more 'layers' in the world.
I mean, like you could have your veteran adventurer, hunting evil all over the known world for years, gaining scars and followers and being pretty darn badass, and then suddenly he stumbles upon some ancient, forgotten tomb.
And then of course, having slain dragons and hydras and titans galor, he's pretty confident this isn't going to be much trouble. So he goes in with his small army, and... Something horrible happens.

Tl;Dr, there's always something NASTIER to discover. :D
Also, another thing I was thinking of the other week when 'moving fortress parts' were mentioned: BOATS.
Just imagine, your average disfunctional, bloodstained fortress, filled with despair, stale booze and dirty socks, afloat, heading down rivers or across the open sea, with forgotten beasts coming from the sky, or as forgotten, barnacle-crusted things from the depths... Imagine goblin pirates trading ship-mounted ballistae bolts and arrows with your trusty crew, and eventually when the whole damn thing has been afloat for years, is taking water, you can just put ashore and build a new fort on the other side of the world. :)
Sorry for rambling, I probably don't make much sense as I'lm half aslee-Zzzzzz.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2429 on: October 13, 2011, 10:37:38 am »

To quote the Devlog

05/07/2011  I starved a dwarf and it came back (as a friendly undead peasant...). To avoid crossing various streams, animated corpses now keep track of the historical figure that was the source of the raised body, even though the historical figure's soul is detached from it (and available for ghostage).

Emphasis mine.
My point is not that ghostage can happen at the same time as zombification. What I meant was that with the system of disrupt tomb = ghost, a necromancer raiding a coffin will automatically be generating a ghost each time, unless zombification does not make the coffin stop counting for haunt-prevention.
I don't think Disturbing a coffin is a 100% chance of raising a ghost right now, but I'm not sure. If not, I don't see why it would if necromancers did it.
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 298