Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1154295 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2430 on: October 13, 2011, 03:40:24 pm »

To quote the Devlog

05/07/2011  I starved a dwarf and it came back (as a friendly undead peasant...). To avoid crossing various streams, animated corpses now keep track of the historical figure that was the source of the raised body, even though the historical figure's soul is detached from it (and available for ghostage).

Emphasis mine.
My point is not that ghostage can happen at the same time as zombification. What I meant was that with the system of disrupt tomb = ghost, a necromancer raiding a coffin will automatically be generating a ghost each time, unless zombification does not make the coffin stop counting for haunt-prevention.
I don't think Disturbing a coffin is a 100% chance of raising a ghost right now, but I'm not sure. If not, I don't see why it would if necromancers did it.

I'm pretty sure it isn't 100%- I seem to recall SCIENCE being conducted on this in an attempt to weaponize ghosts.

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2431 on: October 14, 2011, 08:36:50 pm »

So, I'm a Mathematics major, and one of my homework problems used σ as a variable. As I wasn't aware what that symbol actually was until I asked my teacher, I kept on reading that problem as "Find three elements anvil...". I think Dwarf Fortress has ruined my symbol recognition...
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2432 on: October 14, 2011, 10:01:52 pm »

I'm watching berserk again, and yet again I'm amazed about how the worlds DF generate are berserk like. What with the overworld demons being pretty much like apostles, bogeyman attacks resembling the monsters hunting guts because of the brand, generaly violent and unforgiving world, etc.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Dbuhos

• Bay Watcher
  • Carbon Strain
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2433 on: October 15, 2011, 02:50:14 am »

I'm watching berserk again, and yet again I'm amazed about how the worlds DF generate are berserk like. What with the overworld demons being pretty much like apostles, bogeyman attacks resembling the monsters hunting guts because of the brand, generaly violent and unforgiving world, etc.

Imo the manga is better than the anime, but ey' I though of that too.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2434 on: October 15, 2011, 03:41:34 am »

thought:

If toady is going to do minor planes etc, would that mean you can gen a map, move all your dwarves into a plane and then build a gate of some kind so that if say you find a plane made of adamantine and magma -and a water source from somewere- you could just build your fortress in this extra dimensional plane and seal the gate when ever seiges come.

The hidden fortress of karakdur etc etc.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2435 on: October 15, 2011, 11:30:36 am »

True dat. They're making a series of animated films about the events that happen during the black swordsman arc and beyond to be released next year though, so it'll be awesome all around.

And with minor planes, it only gets more similar to berserk (astral world and all that). Now if toady ever makes it so some creatures have a presence on multiple planes at once, and maybe elves could live almost exclusively in another plane.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2436 on: October 15, 2011, 12:59:50 pm »

True dat. They're making a series of animated films about the events that happen during the black swordsman arc and beyond to be released next year though, so it'll be awesome all around.

And with minor planes, it only gets more similar to berserk (astral world and all that). Now if toady ever makes it so some creatures have a presence on multiple planes at once, and maybe elves could live almost exclusively in another plane.

And maybe the trees have a massive sentient presence on the other plane, and that's where the elves go to tree-sing their wood from them, and that's why the elves are so angry when you cut down trees; you kill a much greater being that what you think you're killing.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2437 on: October 15, 2011, 01:10:06 pm »

When someone suggested that the Elves had the ability to transform into trees, pernamently, it somehow made a lot of sense.

It certainly gives strong evidence towards a lot of the things elves do.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2438 on: October 15, 2011, 01:37:19 pm »

...Like making tools/weapons/armour out of and selling their dead relatives..?
Love, scriver~

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2439 on: October 15, 2011, 01:44:18 pm »

...Like making tools/weapons/armour out of and selling their dead relatives..?

They willingly gave of themselves... unlike those selfish Dwarves, cutting down unwilling trees.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2440 on: October 15, 2011, 07:41:28 pm »

elves dont cut wood, they dont kill trees. they either use dead wood, or magic to harvest wood without harming the trees

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2441 on: October 15, 2011, 09:15:28 pm »

And maybe the trees have a massive sentient presence on the other plane, and that's where the elves go to tree-sing their wood from them, and that's why the elves are so angry when you cut down trees; you kill a much greater being that what you think you're killing.

I really like this idea. The idea of trees being a sort of "root" for a sentient being in another plane. That also raises the question are there other things like that. Maybe in reverse. Like maybe elves are flowers in the tree plane and the tree-links take care of the elf-links, so they have a sort of symbiotic relationship. Thus elves must protect the trees that are keeping them alive in the other plane.

This is the awesome part of this community: every day you hear something interesting, funny, or both.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2442 on: October 16, 2011, 04:36:33 am »

Ahh yes the "Nature as entity" themes.

In this case EmeraldWind is using "Nature Spirits" where each tree and possibly animal is connected with a spirit (or in this case being) that is also equally harmed by your actions.

Nature as Entity possibilities
1) Trees and animals are in fact fully sentient (or sapient if you want to be technical) beings that lack the ability to communicate (Hercules Adventures uses this)
2) Nature is a energy or spirit that permiates through all nature and living beings (Dungeons and dragons uses this)
3) Spirits exist inside non-intelligent beings or are otherwise connected (World of Darkness uses this)
4) The planet's health is represented by an avatar who grows stronger and weaker depending on its condition (Captain Planet uses this)
5) All nature co-exists into a single point creating a near dietific nature entity (Quest for Glory uses this)
6) Beings connected strongly with nature fight for its survival, creating a nature faction.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2443 on: October 16, 2011, 09:40:36 am »

you guys doin that trope where you make nature something special and magical so it's worthy of protection? i hate that.

you saw james cameron' avatar? i hate it, it tries to convey all this crap about  living in harmony with nature, only pandoras nature is nothing like nature, at all, it's more like one of those automated "houses of the future" you used to read about in curiosity magazines and crappy tv documentaries. if we had a nature that awesome here on earth(in the way that M. Sues are awesome), it'd be pretty easy not to destroy it. We don't, but that doesn't make destroying ecosystems cool.

I get this is a fantasy setting, and i'm ok with spirits of nature magically rewarding those who defend it, etc. but "hey, i know why elves are so uptight about mass logging, it kills creatures in another dimension" makes it sound as if the goal of halting the destruction of forests wouldn't be worth pursuing if they weren't magic, and that annoys me, not because i'm a tree-hugging hippy or an elf lover, i'm not, but because it reeks with hypocrisy and missing-the-pointisy

we don't need for trees to be magical beings in another world for mass logging to be a crime; the destruction of non-sentient forests actively harms the real world, and has done so since the beginning of civilization, and thats why the elves should fight to prevent it, not because every time you cut a tree, "god kills a kitten" in another dimension

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2444 on: October 16, 2011, 09:57:10 am »

...Or maybe we shouldn't automatically turn (an idea for) a setting into an aesop for our world when it might never have been intended for that purpose to begin with.

Also the aesop for this example wasn't "forests are magical and therefore worthy of protection" as much as it was "trees keeps us from getting killed in another dimension and therefore it benefits us to keep them alive in ours" selfish stuff.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 298