Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1159912 times)

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2475 on: October 17, 2011, 04:22:54 pm »

Since you said DF mode may have books, how do you plan on implementing them?

I was thinking you could record your own history with scholars. Crimes, money, ect.  Perhaps looking up history will take time now.
Or, you could find a long abandoned fort, and have to have your people read through the notes to find out what happened.
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2476 on: October 17, 2011, 04:29:06 pm »

questions to toady should be colored lime green. toady doesnt have any short term plans for books in dwarf mode, as he answered my question in the last batch, so any answer would be vague musing, which might be interesting to read, but probably not very enlightening into what will actually be on the game later

Moonshadow101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2477 on: October 17, 2011, 06:16:32 pm »

Any plans for hereditary curses? "Your family shall suffer for seven generations" seems like a pretty common tropes, and it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust because their parents had a nasty run-in with a mummy two years ago.

..."it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust." I just typed that.

...What have you people done to me?

Also, and I know this isn't the question anyone wants to read, but is there are roadmap to the next release? Like, right after the mummies and tombs? Or is there another thing after the Mummies before release?

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2478 on: October 17, 2011, 06:36:59 pm »

If we'd somehow acquire a house in a a town (adventure mode), will it be at a different place every time you visit the town?
Maybe you should just forget about save compatibility? Frankly speaking, it is not important at all. No one force you to use newest available version of DF. You do not lose old game or old saves.
Did you quote the wrong person or am I just completely missing the point here?
I think he interpreted the original statement as asking whether that would happen on updating the game (because of how Toady mentioned that changes to generation would make towns generate differently) rather than asking about what happens within a single version.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2479 on: October 17, 2011, 07:32:34 pm »

Any plans for hereditary curses? "Your family shall suffer for seven generations" seems like a pretty common tropes, and it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust because their parents had a nasty run-in with a mummy two years ago.

..."it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust." I just typed that.

...What have you people done to me?

Also, and I know this isn't the question anyone wants to read, but is there are roadmap to the next release? Like, right after the mummies and tombs? Or is there another thing after the Mummies before release?

These are all great questions. However, even I can answer the second one for you: "A wonderful thing."

I'm curious about the first as well, though. I want to see that sort of thing being possible at one point. I think I recall Toady mentioning in the recent DF talk that vampires and were-beast curses can be transmitted to the children as well, though, so I wouldn't be surprised if the answer is "Yes, and they're already here." But I would still enjoy other forms of curses that can become hereditary. Whenever Toady gets around to letting our adventurers with a successful love life produce heirs, assuming the curse was applied beforehand and isn't transmitted to previously-born children, it could all become fairly amusing.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #2480 on: October 17, 2011, 08:18:29 pm »

I'm not sure if there's a bit of confusion about it generating maps on the fly, but I thought I'd jump in again to say that the maps it generates are still the same map.  So you'll always find the same buildings in the same spots for the same world.  It just doesn't have the tiles generated and sitting around somewhere, and it doesn't know what layout is going to be generated in advance -- but it will always make the same one.  This makes the maps more susceptible to being busted by changes between versions, but it's not something exploitable where you can generate a new map for a town on each load.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2481 on: October 17, 2011, 09:53:22 pm »

Will it ever be possible for dwarves and Kobolds to live in peace?

Seriously. They want the trash, dwarves produce lots of trash. I hate it that letting them take my trash generates attacks instead of a symbiotic relationship.
Another Kobold ambush? What, did I forget to pay them or something? Geez, pass off a few carcinogen-laden fluid holding devices and everyone suddenly gets all touchy!
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2482 on: October 18, 2011, 03:25:05 am »

I'm not sure if there's a bit of confusion about it generating maps on the fly, but I thought I'd jump in again to say that the maps it generates are still the same map.  So you'll always find the same buildings in the same spots for the same world.  It just doesn't have the tiles generated and sitting around somewhere, and it doesn't know what layout is going to be generated in advance -- but it will always make the same one.  This makes the maps more susceptible to being busted by changes between versions, but it's not something exploitable where you can generate a new map for a town on each load.
Thanks, I guess I misunderstood something here.

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
« Reply #2483 on: October 18, 2011, 06:17:52 am »

Seriously. They want the trash, dwarves produce lots of trash. I hate it that letting them take my trash generates attacks instead of a symbiotic relationship.

That's because you're a human. Our strength is in being able to compromise, which is not something that Dwarves and Elves are good at. To you, it's garbage that no one should want. To a kobold, it's treasure that we have to have. To a dwarf, yeah, it's garbage--but it's my garbage. Kobolds are freeloaders and Dwarves value hard work.
Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!

TheFlummox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2484 on: October 18, 2011, 07:52:15 am »

Will printing/scribing eventually be an industry with its own quality of paper, binding and creative content? Or will it be restricted to individual dwarven diaries much like engravings?

Being able to create a fort focused around a dwarven newspaper, generating dwarven propaganda or just making a little poetry publishing house would be amazing.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2485 on: October 18, 2011, 08:06:08 am »

Right now I am kinda curious about what Mummys will wear.

I mean SURE, I know they will have bandages, wraps, and rags.

But will they have golden death masks, dazzling robes, and even tools/weapons burried with them?

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2486 on: October 18, 2011, 08:27:47 am »

not all mummies were wrapped in cloth, technically, every preserved cadaver counts as a mummy.
i'd like to see df have some variation, preferably by civilization, for example, the human civilization the Thingies of Stuff smoke the corpses of kings, while the dwarven civilization the Stuffing of Thingies freeze-dry them on the top of mountains...
mmm, dwarf king jerky *drool*

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2487 on: October 18, 2011, 09:42:56 am »

But will they have golden death masks, dazzling robes, and even tools/weapons burried with them?

Do you just want to wear their golden death masks? Because I just want to wear their Golden death masks.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2488 on: October 18, 2011, 12:04:14 pm »

For the 64-bit save file size, I doubt it will be much larger.  Most data fields won't need to change width -- quite likely none of them will.  That would be ideal since then you can ship 32- and 64-bit versions and get save compatibility between them.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #2489 on: October 18, 2011, 12:08:04 pm »

Actually, I think last this was mentioned, Toady said he hadn't done bandages and the like yet. Would be nice if they were in, though.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 298