Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1154240 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2760 on: November 06, 2011, 11:21:00 pm »

Quote from: 'Devlog'
the accuse button will send a dwarf straight to the punishment phase.

I can't imagine how abuse prone this is going to be.

A mandate eh? Murderer!

I don't know. Falsely accusing people is bound to get a few penelties.

Namely unhappy thoughts.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2761 on: November 06, 2011, 11:23:51 pm »

So, by "last thing", do you think T means last thing to do with missing dwarf/law features, or last addition before clean ul/getting ready for release?
Love, scriver~

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2762 on: November 06, 2011, 11:48:58 pm »

Without trials etc., which we aren't going to spend time on (and it's hard to get lots of specific dwarves in the same spot at the same time, so I'm not sure we'll ever get to that in any proper way in a fortress), the accuse button will send a dwarf straight to the punishment phase.

To be truthful, I found this a little disheartening. Considering the game's far-reaching long-term goals, I'd think that a framework allowing for dwarves to organize events/get together would be necessary, much less something that won't likely ever happen.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2763 on: November 06, 2011, 11:50:39 pm »

People hate it when Dwarves Party. I think people would go crazy if we had full length trials.

Mind you I mean this as more of a "take that" to people who dislike Dwarves having a social life.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2764 on: November 06, 2011, 11:54:52 pm »

Well, I think the problem with parties is that they just aren't intelligent; dwarves don't know when not to have them, or when to stop them.

Really though, I'd think that organized social events are a pretty fundamental necessity to the game, eventually.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2765 on: November 07, 2011, 12:59:17 am »

...the accuse button will send a dwarf straight to the punishment phase.

Does this mean that the player must take action, or will the sheriff eventually mete out justice on his own (like now) based on the information available to him at the time (say, after a week or so)?

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2766 on: November 07, 2011, 01:05:00 am »

the accuse button will send a dwarf straight to the punishment phase
I hope this works even on "innocent" dwarves!

There is always one idiot who gets in the way and needs to be locked up, but hasn't committed any real crimes.

(also, it lets us be complete dicks, which is always a bonus)
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2767 on: November 07, 2011, 03:25:28 am »

Actually i dont think "trials" with a ton of dwarfs need to be done. Just send the inquisitor and the hammerer after the Criminal was seized by the fortress guard. A modern justice system is nice and dandy (althought still prone to abuse in most variants) but wasnt that common. On the other hand the actuall punishment was often a big party - i mean beer, snacks and bodyparts flying off? Its like the superbowl!
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #2768 on: November 07, 2011, 03:40:17 am »

Without trials etc., which we aren't going to spend time on (and it's hard to get lots of specific dwarves in the same spot at the same time, so I'm not sure we'll ever get to that in any proper way in a fortress), the accuse button will send a dwarf straight to the punishment phase.

To be truthful, I found this a little disheartening. Considering the game's far-reaching long-term goals, I'd think that a framework allowing for dwarves to organize events/get together would be necessary, much less something that won't likely ever happen.
Actually i dont think "trials" with a ton of dwarfs need to be done. Just send the inquisitor and the hammerer after the Criminal was seized by the fortress guard. A modern justice system is nice and dandy (althought still prone to abuse in most variants) but wasnt that common. On the other hand the actuall punishment was often a big party - i mean beer, snacks and bodyparts flying off? Its like the superbowl!

I don't think it is all that modern or uncommon, though I'm not up on things enough to say what was common for commoners in different eras.  But yeah, the issue is getting say 8 specific dwarves in the same place at the same time, while still allowing them to eat, drink and sleep and without having the loss of labor be a large issue.  I think it's a difficult problem on the fortress time scale.  The current squad activities don't generally require total attendance.  Perhaps if they were provided beverages by servants and could subsist on alcohol throughout the trial...
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2769 on: November 07, 2011, 03:43:14 am »

Maybe have the courtroom zone require a drink stockpile to operate, in addition to the chairs/tables/cages?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Alu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2770 on: November 07, 2011, 03:52:26 am »

What happens if the only witness dies on the way to the sheriff?

"He admired a wonderful Trap lately"

hoveringdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2771 on: November 07, 2011, 04:00:33 am »

I think trial by combat would be more appropriately dwarfy. Which, tangentially, makes me wonder ... If the sheriff is sent to punish a suspected vampire, and the accusation proves true, will the vampire passively accept punishment or fight back? Will there come a point where it's obvious that the dwarf is a vampire and can be targeted as an enemy through the squads menu or will it always remain a matter of civil justice?

Given that, on the rare occasion I actually appoint a sheriff, it's usually the weakest, most incompetent dwarf I can find (lest the beatings turn into massacres), I can see it becoming a problem if every sheriff sent to take down the vampire becomes the next victim.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2772 on: November 07, 2011, 04:45:56 am »

Is it planned to make vampires init/worldgen option? As vampires + justice + nobles + impossible mandates (slade - bug #782, blue jay tooth etc - bug #1623) due to strange preferences (wagon wood - bug #3676 etc) will result ??FUN?? I prefer to disable this feature.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #2773 on: November 07, 2011, 04:53:32 am »

I don't think it is all that modern or uncommon, though I'm not up on things enough to say what was common for commoners in different eras.  But yeah, the issue is getting say 8 specific dwarves in the same place at the same time, while still allowing them to eat, drink and sleep and without having the loss of labor be a large issue.  I think it's a difficult problem on the fortress time scale.  The current squad activities don't generally require total attendance.  Perhaps if they were provided beverages by servants and could subsist on alcohol throughout the trial...

Well, most players seem to have issues with too many idlers / huge surplus of dwarven labor / keeping dwarves busy. I do not see gatherings like court sessions to be issue, but rather one of things that mature fort is supposed to be able to handle without fun consequences.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2774 on: November 07, 2011, 05:14:14 am »

"Unless they witnessed the sheriff committing a crime" - maybe sometimes soldier witnessing this kind of crime should attack sheriff?
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 298