Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1154473 times)

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2835 on: November 10, 2011, 05:32:29 am »

The hammerer is now an appointable position from the beginning...

Does this mean the royal guard is gone, or will the hammerer promote into it like the sheriff does as the captain of the guard with the fortress guard?

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #2836 on: November 10, 2011, 06:44:47 am »

The hammerer is now an appointable position from the beginning...

Does this mean the royal guard is gone, or will the hammerer promote into it like the sheriff does as the captain of the guard with the fortress guard?

There is a royal guard in DF2010?!

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2837 on: November 10, 2011, 07:54:32 am »

Is the hammerer still going to need a hammer, or will he improvise if no hammer is available?  Can we set his weapon/equipment preference in the military screen?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2838 on: November 10, 2011, 08:32:07 am »

Hm wonder if we are limited to hammers at all.  I can imagine getting a really big hammerer and giving them a two handed sword. 

OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!
MAJOR ARTERIES FOR THE MAJOR ARTERY CABINET! 
LIMBS FOR THE LIMB QUERN!
[BODYPART] FOR THE [BODYPART] [FURNITURE]
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 08:33:38 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2839 on: November 10, 2011, 10:40:03 am »

Son, I present to you our prized family heirloom passed down from and named by the very first hammerer... 'The Pillows of Softness' the peasant crafted, low quality, featherwood hammer.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2840 on: November 10, 2011, 01:56:28 pm »

Son, I present to you our prized family heirloom passed down from and named by the very first hammerer... 'The Pillows of Softness' the peasant crafted, low quality, featherwood hammer.

I'm thinking of a situation where your hammerer is assigned both the "beat the craftsmen who didn't fulfill a mandate" detail and the "execute the depraved and powerful vampire who has been feeding on peasants" detail.  Equipment becomes a bit of a dilemma.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2841 on: November 10, 2011, 02:17:33 pm »

This new hammerer might actually solve the problem of doctors never getting any practice and losing skills.

My latest forts:

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2842 on: November 10, 2011, 02:36:48 pm »

I'm thinking of a situation where your hammerer is assigned both the "beat the craftsmen who didn't fulfill a mandate" detail and the "execute the depraved and powerful vampire who has been feeding on peasants" detail.  Equipment becomes a bit of a dilemma.
In the latter case, you can send a military detail with him.
This new hammerer might actually solve the problem of doctors never getting any practice and losing skills.
I have never had that problem.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2843 on: November 10, 2011, 02:51:56 pm »

I have never had that problem.

I guess its not a huge problem since it seems that unskilled doctors do the job just fine, but it bugs me. You notice it when you first get some good security set up in your fort early in its history so that few get injured, yet you have decades to go in your planned megaproject. Every five years or so you'll have some catastrophy that will require every doctor in the house, but that's not enough work to keep skills up over time. No doctor has ever gained skill in my forts unless he was unskilled to begin with.

My latest forts:

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2844 on: November 10, 2011, 03:19:07 pm »

From the dev log, it sounds like you're done with Justice. You haven't mentioned implementing the Grudge mis-accusations that you earlier said you planned on, though. Did you just not mention them, are they going in soon, or did you change your mind? What about a converse situation with friends of the murderer being the only witness(es)?

Cerol Lenslens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2845 on: November 10, 2011, 05:51:19 pm »

Which is why he made the hammer from wood! It doubles as a really blunt stake!
"I've got a plan, hear me out on this one... I want to almost murder you."
"Boy, sure wish as Queen of the entire realm I had somebody to help me out with this. Advisor, tutor, anyone who knows what the hell they're looking at really.

Alas, the life of a Queen is a lonely one. Do the things with the whatsit."

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2846 on: November 10, 2011, 07:15:36 pm »

It'll be interesting, if your "loves tradition" hammerer prefers to keep the old traditional hammer (becoming immediately attached to it, maybe) while a "defies tradition" hammerer instead chooses to get the best hammer in the fort.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2847 on: November 11, 2011, 09:59:21 am »

The new hammerer sounds fun, but do we have any news on the new dungeon master?

My latest forts:

rex mortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2848 on: November 11, 2011, 10:50:00 am »

Dungeon master to tame vampires, werewolves and necromancers? I like the way you think.
Because death is peaceful and magma is lovely.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #2849 on: November 11, 2011, 01:19:49 pm »

Presumably it waits for either the proper bugfix, or until entity positions like the "official hammerer" are "a priority within the larger framework again".
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 298