Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1154299 times)

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2850 on: November 11, 2011, 10:32:41 pm »

Given the relationship code is now fresh in your mind -- and that there's more opportunity now for people to die horribly -- is now a good time to implement remarriage for widows and widowers?

And particularly for the unmarried.  Right now if two kids fall in love, then one falls in magma, the other will be forever alone.

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2851 on: November 11, 2011, 10:38:33 pm »

Well, considering the newist post, how long will we have before people start modding in super-solder syndromes to infect your dwarves with by a increadably complicated way?
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2852 on: November 12, 2011, 02:02:57 am »

I was going to complain about how Toady spent two days working on vampires teeth, but then I saw the possibilities for the modders. Cool.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2853 on: November 12, 2011, 05:03:51 am »

Well, considering the newist post, how long will we have before people start modding in super-solder syndromes to infect your dwarves with by a increadably complicated way?

Nah its just not worth it yet. We dont have syndromes that turn pants purple yet.

On another note: Lengthening teeth?! Wow thats the first step towards real bodypartmorphing and better were-creatures. I love it!
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2854 on: November 12, 2011, 05:52:22 am »

Nah its just not worth it yet. We dont have syndromes that turn pants purple yet.

On another note: Lengthening teeth?! Wow thats the first step towards real bodypartmorphing and better were-creatures. I love it!
What? No it's not. Better therianthropy stuff has been in the new version for months. Where the hell have you been?

Here: https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1u8jibE1TV7BAwAI2b4TzRkWFlBboLiXMrVBhYmDYPhI&pli=1

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2855 on: November 12, 2011, 06:04:34 am »

I have been reading the devlogs thank you ;) . I meant the transformation on itself not the endproducts. Like growing a tail, claws etc. life on screen. I want to hit those monstrous bastards in the middle of the transformation. I hate it when they go "*poof* and now i am a werewolf" in a flash of light and smoke or worse yet doing it offscrene. This also gives the peasent the chance to realise that s/he is fucked. 

Also i guess that vampires will get a ton of teeth enlargement spam.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2856 on: November 12, 2011, 04:34:40 pm »

I have been reading the devlogs thank you ;) . I meant the transformation on itself not the endproducts. Like growing a tail, claws etc. life on screen. I want to hit those monstrous bastards in the middle of the transformation. I hate it when they go "*poof* and now i am a werewolf" in a flash of light and smoke or worse yet doing it offscrene. This also gives the peasent the chance to realise that s/he is fucked. 

Also i guess that vampires will get a ton of teeth enlargement spam.
I don't think there's any intermediate states in this either. Toady mentioned that body parts could be different sizes relative to each other a long time ago.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2857 on: November 12, 2011, 05:44:29 pm »

This is a simple one:

Can interactions be applied to weapon attacks?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2858 on: November 14, 2011, 09:49:08 am »

"What? No it's not. Better therianthropy stuff has been in the new version for months. Where the hell have you been?"

No we still arn't there yet. Right now they are made from the ground up and happen instantly.

We won't have "better" therianthropy for a very very long time since Toady estimated it would take a month of dedicated focus to JUST put in the framework required.

Gaspa Craftdreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2859 on: November 14, 2011, 05:15:43 pm »

I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but why not release a compiled development version so that we can know exactly what and how the new features are being implemented?  This way, we can help find any bugs you may have missed that are not in the latest stable release and you can get better feedback on the new features you are currently working on.

Just give us a new release is what I'm saying.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2860 on: November 14, 2011, 05:29:26 pm »

I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but why not release a compiled development version so that we can know exactly what and how the new features are being implemented?  This way, we can help find any bugs you may have missed that are not in the latest stable release and you can get better feedback on the new features you are currently working on.

Just give us a new release is what I'm saying.
I think the answer to that question is because the things on his list are the things he knows need to be NOT broken when he finally releases it. As in, game breakers and other extreme problems that he already knows are wrong with it, and that would generate more complaints than praise if he were to release it.

And before you say "oh well, he can release it with the disclaimer that it is a buggy version", do remember that particular disclaimer is already attached the game, and even still we have people complaining in almost angry tones over any particular bug that breaks the game. A release now would only multiply those breaks, and thus only multiply the complaints. The sheer amount of people who I can see saying "why did he release such a buggy version??? I can't play this!" the moment your own wish is fulfilled is mindboggling.

And before you say "well the breaks can't be that bad," he is already on record as saying that currently cities cause massive slowdowns. That's one of the big features going out this release, and it appears to be broken at the moment. There are already a number of angry-ish complaints that he has taken the time to push out a number of systems lately that players can't use because of bugs, and this would only add another one to the pile.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Gaspa Craftdreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2861 on: November 14, 2011, 05:37:40 pm »

Well okay, I guess I see your point.  Development versions would most likely be an incomprehensible mess of debug messages that only Toady would understand.

So about the justice rewrite: will dwarven justice eventually be like in Liberal Crime Squad where the appointed judge reads a list of charges, lawyers and witnesses can be called to aid in convincing the jury, and the judge can determine what punishment best suits the verdict?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2862 on: November 14, 2011, 06:08:32 pm »

So about the justice rewrite: will dwarven justice eventually be like in Liberal Crime Squad where the appointed judge reads a list of charges, lawyers and witnesses can be called to aid in convincing the jury, and the judge can determine what punishment best suits the verdict?

This was covered recently (answer is "hopefully yes"):

Without trials etc., which we aren't going to spend time on (and it's hard to get lots of specific dwarves in the same spot at the same time, so I'm not sure we'll ever get to that in any proper way in a fortress), the accuse button will send a dwarf straight to the punishment phase.

To be truthful, I found this a little disheartening. Considering the game's far-reaching long-term goals, I'd think that a framework allowing for dwarves to organize events/get together would be necessary, much less something that won't likely ever happen.
Actually i dont think "trials" with a ton of dwarfs need to be done. Just send the inquisitor and the hammerer after the Criminal was seized by the fortress guard. A modern justice system is nice and dandy (althought still prone to abuse in most variants) but wasnt that common. On the other hand the actuall punishment was often a big party - i mean beer, snacks and bodyparts flying off? Its like the superbowl!

I don't think it is all that modern or uncommon, though I'm not up on things enough to say what was common for commoners in different eras.  But yeah, the issue is getting say 8 specific dwarves in the same place at the same time, while still allowing them to eat, drink and sleep and without having the loss of labor be a large issue.  I think it's a difficult problem on the fortress time scale.  The current squad activities don't generally require total attendance.  Perhaps if they were provided beverages by servants and could subsist on alcohol throughout the trial...

Silophant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2863 on: November 14, 2011, 11:55:50 pm »

Quote from: Toady One
I'm going to move on to the final town cleaning now.

The release is in sight!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2864 on: November 14, 2011, 11:58:06 pm »

Quote from: Toady One
I'm going to move on to the final town cleaning now.

The release is in sight!

Unless he is handling more then towns.
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 298