Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 192 193 [194] 195 196 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1154273 times)

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2895 on: November 16, 2011, 02:07:19 pm »

Thanks for the answers, Toady. :)

I guess it would be a good idea to move some things up in the short term goals in that the succession would solve a number of issues. Speaking of the short term goals - You've talked quite a bit about what you feel you need to do for releases 3, 4, and 5 (games, music, storytelling, fistfights, multiracial forts etc) that isn't explicitly mentioned on the dev page, but there's very little about what you want for the upcoming release 2 aside the explicit mentions of schedules/activities and mines. I think you mentioned village maps if you don't get to extending the town map generation to that, workshops, and geological structures, but is there more than that?
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

NakedFury

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2896 on: November 16, 2011, 04:11:28 pm »

What future feature are you most "exited/Proud" about?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2897 on: November 16, 2011, 04:57:24 pm »

My personal bet is Release 5, as I recall in one of the DF Talks he mentions that it will "test the premise of the entire game, that you could have all these systems running simultaneously" [paraphrased]

CharlesPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • My Dark Twisted Pretzel Fantasy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2898 on: November 16, 2011, 05:46:28 pm »

My personal bet is Release 5, as I recall in one of the DF Talks he mentions that it will "test the premise of the entire game, that you could have all these systems running simultaneously" [paraphrased]

I agree with that. I think he's most looking forward to when the game actually IS a functioning fantasy world generator, instead of just a place for Dorfs to dig around in. (not that there's anything wrong with that.)
UU,.~U~,.\b,.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2899 on: November 16, 2011, 05:55:28 pm »

Quote from: Toady
I think that's Release 5 on the list, though I've become more recently inclined to think birth/death/succession/personality rewrite should be pushed forward so the world will be alive.  I should get to the heart of the game at some point before several more years pass.

I am very excited about this possible prospect.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2900 on: November 16, 2011, 06:57:50 pm »

Honestly I would like someone expert in the laws of physics to determine how effective it would be to hit someone with a pole like object that has almost no mass but with near supernaturally strong durability and hardness (with absolutely NO flexibility).
It would be in practice probably a little more than directly punching him.

And yay, my first response directly from Toady!

Yeah but you got leverage and a surface that doesn't give way as much as even your fist.

Afterall Iron Knuckles adds almost no mass to your fist but is dramatically more impactful then just your raw fist.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2901 on: November 16, 2011, 08:04:49 pm »

That is because the iron knuckle is much better at transmitting force (IE impact) then your fist, so more of the energy you put in your punch is transmitted to whatever you're punching, and faster too, meaning less enery will be wasted. I'm no expert in phisics but a blunt adamantine weapon would probably deliver more impact strenght then your body alone would, because its complete lack of flexibility and incredible resistance would make it waste almost no energy on impact. The reason adamantine blunt weapons suck is because they're so light they gather almost no momentum, which is where the true power of hammers/maces/etc come from.

That, combined with the fact DF doesn't really take lead's maleability into account (as far as I know) only make the difference between adamantine and lead blunt weapons even bigger. Granted, a lead hammer would deliver a suprising ammount of force, but it wouldn't be able to hold its form after a few strikes (or after a single strike, even).
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 08:06:57 pm by Dakk »
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2902 on: November 17, 2011, 03:21:14 am »

Attributes are supposed to impact performance at various tasks, but according to my testing impact of attributes on quality of products is completely unimportant compared to skill. There is no noticeable difference between "legendary carpenter with a boundless creative imagination" and "legendary carpenter (with average creativity)". Is it intended?
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2903 on: November 17, 2011, 08:03:56 am »

The evil monster part doesn't really bother them as much as it should at present, and the vampire stands up and takes its punishment.  A hammering is difficult to survive, but should it happen, then the punishment is served and the community naively assumes the convict is reformed.
UristMcGuard: Alright, Vlad, we have found another bloodless corpse which brings us back to a talk we had last week. Your reluctance to review your behavior saddens me. You know I've tried persuasion, beating, imprisonment but I give up, maybe 20 hammerstrikes will teach you the ways of a good dwarf.

This bring up a few questions though:
1. Will being a vampire be separate crime (killing by drinking blood)? Current murder doesn't bring death sentence.
2. What are benefits from having hammerer? I mean, we have guards already and by adjusting their weapons we can alter the punishment degree, while hammering offers death and heavy crippling.
3. How vampires can reproduce in fortress mode? Can they have children?
4. If a child is turned into vampire, will it grow into adulthood?
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2904 on: November 17, 2011, 09:24:59 am »

Attributes are supposed to impact performance at various tasks, but according to my testing impact of attributes on quality of products is completely unimportant compared to skill. There is no noticeable difference between "legendary carpenter with a boundless creative imagination" and "legendary carpenter (with average creativity)". Is it intended?

It's definitely not intended for all attributes to affect every job.  The idea is that each labor benefits from a subset of attributes.  Did you try testing any others?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #2905 on: November 17, 2011, 10:34:48 am »

It's definitely not intended for all attributes to affect every job.  The idea is that each labor benefits from a subset of attributes.  Did you try testing any others?

According to the wiki, Creativity may or may not be supposed to impact carpentry. The part that doesn't support creativity being linked to carpentry seems to be based on this post by Toady. So a test with a stonecrafter may be better suited to see whether creativity (and as such, any attribute) impacts performance.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

casserol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2906 on: November 17, 2011, 10:35:58 am »

Thanks a lot for all the answers! ...but thanks even more for things NOT answered because of unclear connections and unpredictable interactions, which will give birth to plenty of unintended, emergent, and pobably absurdly funny situations :D

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #2907 on: November 17, 2011, 10:55:55 am »

Do you have any plans for the languages' grammars? I have always imagined Dwarven to have some horrifying, hyper-ergative Basque-like monstrosity for a grammar, and Elvish would be like Hawai'ian or Japanese, with a lot simpler morphology, and Goblin would be a polysynthetic nightmare...

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

MASTER_PROGRAMMER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2908 on: November 17, 2011, 11:03:22 am »

ummm....am i the only one who's curious if adventurers can be bitten and turned into Vampires/werefill-in-the-blanks?

or....was that already talked about before, and i'm just being oblivious like i always am? :(

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2909 on: November 17, 2011, 11:21:23 am »

ummm....am i the only one who's curious if adventurers can be bitten and turned into Vampires/werefill-in-the-blanks?

or....was that already talked about before, and i'm just being oblivious like i always am? :(

I'm pretty sure adventurers can turn into vampires if they drink the blood of a vampire they kill.  And getting mauled by a werebeast and turning into one seems like it can happen, you just need to survive the mauling.  I don't remember if there is a quote from Toady, but Footkerchief can probably find it if it exists.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.
Pages: 1 ... 192 193 [194] 195 196 ... 298