Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1160430 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3000 on: November 24, 2011, 01:49:11 am »

Now that some crimes can be hidden, will it be possible to kill (accidentally of course) an entire caravan and not have the civilization know (and start war) as long as you left no survivors?

No, that's not a crime in the sense of the Fortress Mode justice system.  None of the knowledge/deception stuff applies.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3001 on: November 24, 2011, 04:04:19 am »

Cool bridges.  Have been playing lots of TES recently so I wonder do trolls or bandits currently live under bridges in Adventure mode?  Having not looked at a DF screen in a few weeks, the mini-trees really stand out, especially in bridge pic 1.  Majestic curve in the river, fine bridge, happy dwarves on the sturdy structure, bonsai on the banks.  :)  I found these Toady posts on multi-tile trees - 1,2,3 - and they don't seem to indicate much difficulty in the implementation so I (and another poster it seems just yesterday) was wondering are there any plans to add multi-tile foliage/piles within the current release series?
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3002 on: November 24, 2011, 05:01:16 am »

are there any plans to add multi-tile foliage/piles within the current release series?
Current plan is they'll go in when the elves get their cities, which will be some time during army arc. So a few years from now.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3003 on: November 24, 2011, 06:44:48 am »

are there any plans to add multi-tile foliage/piles within the current release series?
Current plan is they'll go in when the elves get their cities, which will be some time during army arc. So a few years from now.

OK, thanks!  Makes sense.
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

rex mortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3004 on: November 24, 2011, 11:13:34 am »

I am not the only one excited about the bridges? Sweet

Will we have to discover a bridge or be able to swim across a river to cross one in the next version? Or is it still possible to ignore rivers completely by using fast travel?
Because death is peaceful and magma is lovely.

Urist McDagger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3005 on: November 24, 2011, 12:03:27 pm »

A few? Isn't the current prediction somewhere on the order of two decades?
You wouldn't rush Goya or Faulkner or Tarantino. Think about Toady as equal to those artists. And then deal with it.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #3006 on: November 24, 2011, 02:46:44 pm »

'Few' is relative. In DF it means around 0,1 and 0,4 TLs (Toady-Lifetimes)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3007 on: November 24, 2011, 03:10:37 pm »

Current prediction is two decades until 1.0. I'd imagine that the current stuff could be done in only a little more than half that.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3008 on: November 24, 2011, 03:35:07 pm »

Current prediction is two decades until 1.0. I'd imagine that the current stuff could be done in only a little more than half that.

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev.html

first release + bugfixing (new & old bugs) - around 1 year

There are 9 planned releases, what puts end of caravan arc in 2020.
There are 19 planned goals, what puts end of caravan arc in 2030.

And all estimations like this are worthless, as feature creep is completely unpredictable (this release was described as "Better town maps involving workshops/markets/shops based on world gen economic activities" and resulted in multiple unrelated features).
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3009 on: November 24, 2011, 11:12:39 pm »

Odd cities seem to have roads and then populate it with Houses.

Look at World 2 Town 4 and see the insanity!

Perhaps roads without houses shouldn't exist.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3010 on: November 24, 2011, 11:17:49 pm »

Those are supposed to delineate the plots for different purposes.  A small town that just got a market will essentially use the village code I'm getting to.  It just also has the market, a keep (because we have a profusion of those), and a few specialized workshops.  They all use the manorish map system, which isn't ideal since there should be other kinds of villages, but it isn't about having a road for wagons or something.  It is just a boundary.  The larger towns will also use the village stuff for the plots remaining open.

eg: http://www.designsofwonder.com/images/MapImages/plan_mediaeval_manor.jpg
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3011 on: November 24, 2011, 11:41:36 pm »

I noticed in World 1 that there was a road leading to a Goblin Tower. Was this a conqured tower, can humans and goblins be at peace for enough time to construct a road or are wars just not considered when roads are built?
Will Elves construct roads or does that go against their ethics?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3012 on: November 24, 2011, 11:48:47 pm »

Those are supposed to delineate the plots for different purposes.  A small town that just got a market will essentially use the village code I'm getting to.  It just also has the market, a keep (because we have a profusion of those), and a few specialized workshops.  They all use the manorish map system, which isn't ideal since there should be other kinds of villages, but it isn't about having a road for wagons or something.  It is just a boundary.  The larger towns will also use the village stuff for the plots remaining open.

eg: http://www.designsofwonder.com/images/MapImages/plan_mediaeval_manor.jpg

Interesting.

Assuming these plots will have different purposes.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 11:52:24 pm by Neonivek »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3013 on: November 24, 2011, 11:57:43 pm »

World 2, Town 1 seems to have a large section of walled-off city that... doesn't really contain much of anything. Is this intentional?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3014 on: November 25, 2011, 12:06:44 am »

I noticed in World 1 that there was a road leading to a Goblin Tower. Was this a conqured tower, can humans and goblins be at peace for enough time to construct a road or are wars just not considered when roads are built?
Will Elves construct roads or does that go against their ethics?

It was a conquered tower.  There can be long periods of peace, but both goblins and elves aren't road builders -- right now both sides need to be road builders for it to go ahead with it, but perhaps later it'll let one side build a road in some circumstances.  It was that way originally, and I almost left it in, but decided against it for whatever reason.

World 2, Town 1 seems to have a large section of walled-off city that... doesn't really contain much of anything. Is this intentional?

It isn't something I tried to stop, because of a historical map I saw with some farmland inside a wall much like this, but I do think it is kind of strange.  I'm not sure they'd want to rebuild it that way the first time the outer buildings get burned, so I'm also not sure if it'll last up to the army stuff, but I'll have to look at more example images from history and whether the one I saw was a total anomaly.  It should probably prefer to fill out the interior -- right now it just spills out buildings from the keep area.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 12:44:39 am by Toady One »
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 298