Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 217 218 [219] 220 221 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1161644 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3270 on: December 10, 2011, 07:25:10 am »

Thanks for the answers Toady!
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3271 on: December 10, 2011, 08:33:27 am »

Thanks for answers!

They only feed on sleeping people, and the vampires don't sleep.  So they'd have to wait for dinner to move in.  Then they'd probably go a bit piranha on it when it decides to sleep.

So it is possible to find vampires by creating bedrooms, without assigning. Wait. Dwarves without claimed ones are vampires. Is it a intended behaviour? Maybe vampire also should claim bedrooms? Or maybe it is somehow predicted but not mentioned.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 02:38:44 pm by Kogut »
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3272 on: December 10, 2011, 08:42:12 am »

Wow, look at those interaction scripts :o I guess .26/.32 will be the first time I have to really take up DF modding.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3273 on: December 10, 2011, 09:10:30 am »

So it is possible to find vampires by creating bedrooms, without assigning. Wait. Dwarves without claimed ones are vampires. Is it a intended behaviour? Maybe vampire also should claim bedrooms? Or maybe it is somehow fixed but not mentioned.

Yay! a reason to provide private housing for everyone! 

Bromek McBookeeper didn't claim a bedroom!  To the magma chamber! 
"Wait I just haven't gotten tired yet!  I took a nap before they were designated Auuugh!"
"If he lives he's a vampire and we need to kill him, if he burns he was a vampire and we get to skip a step and go get some mead early."
"But sir, are vampires immune to magma?"
"Looks like the answer is.....no.   Whelp time to see what Totallynotavampire McBrewer brewed up for us today."
Thanks Toady!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 09:17:58 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3274 on: December 10, 2011, 09:19:46 am »

Thanks for answers!

They only feed on sleeping people, and the vampires don't sleep.  So they'd have to wait for dinner to move in.  Then they'd probably go a bit piranha on it when it decides to sleep.

So it is possible to find vampires by creating bedrooms, without assigning. Wait. Dwarves without claimed ones are vampires. Is it a intended behaviour? Maybe vampire also should claim bedrooms? Or maybe it is somehow fixed but not mentioned.

I believe, the Disguise that the vampire portray make them seem normal. They'll walk normal dorf speed, for instance. They'll probably fake sleep too. Or at least, idle in their bed.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3275 on: December 10, 2011, 09:23:05 am »

It's always really nice to see details like these raws, so thank you very much for posting them - as a modder, I'm very very excited about this release. :D
Also known as Zuhayr.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3276 on: December 10, 2011, 09:31:48 am »

Thanks Toady! :D

Hmm, does this
      [IS_SECRET:MUNDANE_RECORDING_POSSIBLE:objects/text/book_instruction.txt:objects/text/secret_death.txt]
mean that at least some of data/speech is moved into a subfolder of raw/objects? Would be nice if that's the case.

Didn't see anything explicitly about the towers and writing books in the sample (I guess the above might be, but that seems to be solely about passing on the secret), but maybe it's part of the secret_goal or something.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3277 on: December 10, 2011, 10:05:19 am »

Here is the current village output: schematic, tiles

(And a huge talk about maps, villages and towns.)

First of all, thanks for the exhausting response and the pictures! The village looks great, actually. I was afraid it would end up with the houses scattered randomly all around the map, but they're actually keeping together very well. I love it!

I guess my issue was seeing the farm houses scattered around randomly on the town maps. I guess they were using some kind of separate, town logic for their placement? Anyway, as you've said, the problem will disappear once towns can merge with outlying villages properly, and I can imagine it will create some interesting shapes. I'm excited for that, although it won't likely come soon.

Now if only some of those dirt roads were realised as hedges, and it would be perfect. But I understand you can't do everything at once. Now that I know you are aware of that and are planning to address it some day in the future, I'm perfectly satisfied. Thanks once more for the response and congratulations on the village/town code. It looks really rigid.
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3278 on: December 10, 2011, 10:50:55 am »

With fairly large towns being in the next release are there plans to have certain non-domestic animals appear in and under them? Rats, pigeons, and cockroaches being some of the obvious ones. Perhaps new BIOME tokens are in order?

Killing giant rats in some poor NPCs basement as an early quest seems appropriate even if a little clichéd.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3279 on: December 10, 2011, 11:25:52 am »

With fairly large towns being in the next release are there plans to have certain non-domestic animals appear in and under them? Rats, pigeons, and cockroaches being some of the obvious ones. Perhaps new BIOME tokens are in order?

Killing giant rats in some poor NPCs basement as an early quest seems appropriate even if a little clichéd.

IIrc there are already cockroaches and rats as vermin and they have tendency to hover around food and trashstockpiles in dwarfmode. I guess they could be expanded to Adv-mode. Pidgeons are a bit harder since they were actually breed for food and eggs.

Cities as "biomes" would be nice. Foxes, raccoons and many other woodland-critters (including the evil chrismas kind) feel at home in this places because of the free food and the free lodging. For pedgeons its actually mostly the later. They are cliff-dwellers and a 2 storyhouse looks like a good cliff for them XD. Saying that i atleast would be for some new biomes like "cliffs" but i am a friend of micro-biomes anyway.

I dont know if Pest-control should be a appropriate "Quest" but you could earn some money as "Rat-catcher", iirc. some cities paid you good money for each rat-tail you brought in. Day labor in general would be a good way to make small quantities of money if needed.

Anyway thank you toady for answering all our questions :)
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3280 on: December 10, 2011, 01:22:38 pm »

When the shopkeepers start calling out to sell their wares, will they also shout out a warning if they see you're about to leave without paying?  (not sneaking)
Seems to me that it is much too easy to accidentally walk out with unpaid merchandise.  A player conscience ("you feel uneasy about the $iron whip$") could also be nice as a warning.

Eктωρ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3281 on: December 10, 2011, 01:40:39 pm »

I wuv you Toady.
Ektor is in a constant state of internal rage

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3282 on: December 10, 2011, 02:33:30 pm »

Sweet! Interaction tags! This already looks like it's going to be awesome some of the modding capabilities out there. I earnestly look forward to the next release.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Urist McCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3283 on: December 10, 2011, 03:02:39 pm »

I noticed that any undead-ed creature's strength and toughness are reset to a range from 300 to 1000. Would there be a way to make it multiply current values instead, or perhaps abide by a minimum value so that undead rats are as nasty as undead rats should be?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3284 on: December 10, 2011, 03:04:11 pm »

"I don't remember now if there was a reason any more compelling than thinking a foot twitching around was unscary.  Or a lower/upper body with nothing else attached.  A lower body with two legs is probably okay, but you might as well allow everything at some point.  It might be revisited when there's pulping."

Toady I think it was more so you don't have an excessive explosion of raised parts that confuses the AI and slows the game down. As it is technically possible to have creatures explode into their individidual components.

So limiting it to include only meaningful parts and deciding that it is any mouth or grasp was likely part of that strategy.

Also dang are Bridges dangerous in Fairytales.

If it isn't Bandits, Bridges breaking, or a lone soldier waiting for one last duel... It is Trolls, Fairies, and murderous ghosts.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 03:39:35 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 217 218 [219] 220 221 ... 298