Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1160149 times)

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3300 on: December 11, 2011, 02:02:27 am »

They only feed on sleeping people, and the vampires don't sleep.  So they'd have to wait for dinner to move in.  Then they'd probably go a bit piranha on it when it decides to sleep.

Hmm... if a victim is jerked out of sleep by a strange mood, or even woken up by noise, will they discover the vampire?
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3301 on: December 11, 2011, 02:05:52 am »

Quick question cos I can't find anything about this: Will we be able to purchase animals? Like buying a pig so that later you can butcher it, or buying some dogs to help you fight?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3302 on: December 11, 2011, 02:07:31 am »

Quick question cos I can't find anything about this: Will we be able to purchase animals? Like buying a pig so that later you can butcher it, or buying some dogs to help you fight?

Buy livestock is for a later release.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3303 on: December 11, 2011, 04:48:17 am »

Awesome posts- hooray for Toady!

Am I the only one pumped for the personality rewrite and succession issues being bumped up? I think those were the things I was looking forward to most, so I'm extremely happy they're getting moved earlier in the schedule.

This is the post I wanted to write  :D  It would be fantastic if those features were promoted to a sooner release, this is about as exciting as game development news gets for me.  The extended discussion on town maps was very interesting too, thanks for the great posts, Toady.
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3304 on: December 11, 2011, 05:56:51 am »

NO_PHYS_ATT_GAIN - I noticed this tag in a couple of the entries in the new interaction based nightcreatures. Does it prevent future Attribute gains for the creature?

This is interesting because I noticed that it is on vampires and necromancers. It would seem if a creature became a necromancer/vampire/etc, other than immediate gains to Attributes due to the syndrome, they would cease to grow in physical attributes. Thus a necromancer could in theory be really weak and never really get much stronger.
It certainly sounds like it does that. It does seem a bit weird that necromancers and vampires would have that tag, but the presence of that tag could be randomized.

Will the examples actually be in the raw folder to be generated in a world or will we just get the randomized interactions/creatures?[/color]
I'm pretty sure Toady mentioned that the example file is in a separate folder, and thus wouldn't be used by the game - just the randomized interactions.

How do werebeasts determine to ignore similar werebeasts? Do they just check the other creature's current form, do they look at the underlying syndrome for the same syndrome, look at the creature definition the syndrome references, or some other way?
I'm assuming that it's part of the were's creature definition - some sort of [AT_PEACE_WITH_OWN_TYPE] or [OPPOSED_TO_DIFFERENT_CREATURES] tag, perhaps.

I noticed that all of the tags added in the samples don't have parameters - is that true of all tags that can be added via syndromes, or are there some tags that allow parameters (such as the CHILD tag)?
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3305 on: December 11, 2011, 09:43:52 am »

A few questions, I guess, though it's SO nice to actually see some of the tokens and grin maniacally at the possibilities.

1) Will it be possible to specify the caste of a CE_BODY_TRANSFORMATION?

2) If not, will it be possible to radically reconfigure the body without changing the actual creature identification?

The reasons I ask for 1 and 2 is because they would drastically open up the possibilities for modding - enabling everything from miraculous healings to divine "blessings," such as a dwarven warrior with skin of steel or a miner with four arms, or even a creature with a breath attack that causes everything it hits to spontaneously grow a tail.  I know this is possible to do by changing the target's creature identification, but I want to know if it's possible to retain these individuals in a society without, say, turning them into another creature (i.e. werewolf) and causing them to abandon their labors and go hostile to everyone else.

3) A last, unrelated question, that may have already been answered (forgive me if it has) - Will we be getting caste-specific graphics soon?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 02:26:33 pm by narhiril »

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3306 on: December 11, 2011, 10:20:34 am »

All signs point to yes - the DEFAULT after the WEREBEAST in  [CE:CREATURE:WEREBEAST:DEFAULT] refers to the default caste of a casteless creature.

2) If not, will it be possible to radically reconfigure the body without changing the actual creature identification?
No. Body part/shape modifications such as adding body parts were too time-consuming for Toady to attempt for this release. The only body modifications that we know are in are size modifications. It may be possible to modify other appearance modifiers, though.

but I want to know if it's possible to retain these individuals in a society without, say, turning them into another creature (i.e. werewolf) and causing them to abandon their labors and go hostile to everyone else.
Toady has mentioned that the hostility is not inherent in the transformation. It's possible that it is part of the random creature definition created by the game.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3307 on: December 11, 2011, 10:31:35 am »

Buy livestock is for a later release.

Specifically Release 7 on the current schedule.

Will the examples actually be in the raw folder to be generated in a world or will we just get the randomized interactions/creatures?[/color]
I'm pretty sure Toady mentioned that the example file is in a separate folder, and thus wouldn't be used by the game - just the randomized interactions.

Yes, I think all those interactions will be hardcoded, then permuted slightly during worldgen.  That won't be the case for the animal behavior interactions, though -- I was hoping he'd post those too, but there's plenty to absorb already.

I noticed that all of the tags added in the samples don't have parameters - is that true of all tags that can be added via syndromes, or are there some tags that allow parameters (such as the CHILD tag)?

The equivalent tag from creature variations, CV_NEW_TAG, allows parameters.  Hopefully the implementation is the same.

You can change the appearance modifiers (and thereby the ingame size) of any body part, but that's it short of a full transformation to a different creature type:
Code: [Select]
[CE_BP_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:START:0:BP:BY_CATEGORY:TOOTH:APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:LENGTH:150]
[CE:COUNTER_TRIGGER:DRINKING_BLOOD:1:NONE:REQUIRED]

So you could make a creature's eyes become huge, bulging and red, or transform a creature into twice its normal size, but you couldn't make it sprout extra limbs.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 10:39:09 am by Footkerchief »

kasan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3308 on: December 11, 2011, 01:08:46 pm »

Quote from: Greendogo
Toady, you mentioned that you had an abundance of bone materials in cities that builds up making the number of bone crafts unreasonable.  I think one problem with this viewpoint is that in the real world bone material often has many more uses than are present in the game and in large industry and small industry alike the bones get used for all sorts of things.  For instance, there is a small amount of bone ash present in many pet food brands (for cats and dogs) even though the higher quality companies try to limit that amount for health reasons.  Many early cultures used bones for needles or knitting needles (Dwarf Fortress lacks knitting, btw).  Also, bones were often used as jewelry, something that already occurs in the game.  I think if you wanted to increase the usability of bones and thereby decrease their build-up in city stockpiles you would need to make the market for bone larger by increasing the demand for bone crafts or bone decoration, or other uses such as bone meal for fertilizer.  I think this would be much more realistic than trying to limit the production and accumulation of bone. If you don't want the stores to be full of the stuff, why not make it more prevalent as something that is actually more useful for the townspeople?

I was looking for a short-term fix, which was rebalancing the number of bone crafts made and just letting the rest of the bones sit.  I'm all for adding more industries, but I'm trying to arrive at a release now.  Hopefully there will be more bone industries in the future.  There certainly are a lot of bones!

Toady, if you need a short term fix that could have a lasting usable sense,  allow bones to be used in regular food production.   Bone serves two purposes in human cooking.  The first, is as a stock ingredient, the second: ground up bone meal is used in the production of clear gelatin.   It shouldn't be too difficult to flag bones as usable for food production and add two new food descriptors:  Soup (or stew) and Gelatin Mold.  I know this can be accomplished with RAWs at the moment, but if towns/villages/castles also produce food items as well as bone crafts, it should drastically drop the bone stockpiles while offering a wider selection of random food. (forgotten beast bone, unicorn bone, sunshine, elephant meat stew anybody?)

There was also mention one of the dwarf fortress talks about period themed tavern/inn names (or even shops in general).    Dungeons and Dragons actually has a simple die roll generator that takes an Adjective (i.e. Drunken) and a noun (i.e. Blade) And appends The at the start.  So you end up with The Drunken Blade (which could be a blacksmith alcoholic or a nice place to get a drink and a brawl.)   Wouldn't be terribly different from how dwarf settlements get a name during embark.

Thoughts?

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3309 on: December 11, 2011, 02:37:57 pm »

You can change the appearance modifiers (and thereby the ingame size) of any body part, but that's it short of a full transformation to a different creature type:
Code: [Select]
[CE_BP_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:START:0:BP:BY_CATEGORY:TOOTH:APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:LENGTH:150]
[CE:COUNTER_TRIGGER:DRINKING_BLOOD:1:NONE:REQUIRED]

So you could make a creature's eyes become huge, bulging and red, or transform a creature into twice its normal size, but you couldn't make it sprout extra limbs.

I'm thinking it might be possible to circumvent that limitation by defining the desired body change as a new caste, then using CE_BODY_TRANSFORMATION to "change" over.  All of that hinges on the ability to specify the caste of a transformation though.

All signs point to yes - the DEFAULT after the WEREBEAST in  [CE:CREATURE:WEREBEAST:DEFAULT] refers to the default caste of a casteless creature.

What I was unclear on - is DEFAULT a generic caste of werebeasts or is it used in the same way as DEFAULT is used in graphics definitions? 

i.e. [DEFAULT:HUMIES:0:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT]

The difference is that one allows caste specification, while the other doesn't (if it did, we would have caste-level graphics, but we don't yet).  I'm hoping you're right, as it was how I was planning to use the new tokens for dwarven "augmentation."

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3310 on: December 11, 2011, 02:41:48 pm »

3) A last, unrelated question, that may have already been answered (forgive me if it has) - Will we be getting caste-specific graphics soon?

Already have it.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

rex mortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3311 on: December 11, 2011, 03:05:58 pm »

The devlog has mentioned 'bad luck' curse before. If one is afflicted, is it possible to get better? Or is it a permanent disability that will inevitably lead to the demise of the character?

If it is permanent, I see it as merely a reason to rage quit even more characters because there is nothing I can do to overcome it. It is not possible to prepare for randomly rolling against skill 0, because often it takes just one badly failed roll to die in Dwarf Fortress. Nerve damage already permanently cripples a character in ways that are not Fun, at least beyond the initial encounter. Suddenly losing hold of one's shield is a great way to make the battle end more quickly. However, should one live through the battle in which the nerves got damaged, the character loses its appeal to me.
Because death is peaceful and magma is lovely.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3312 on: December 11, 2011, 03:49:11 pm »

Already have it.

Are you sure?  AFAIK caste selectors for graphics didn't make it into 31.01, and I don't think they were added in subsequent releases.

murlocdummy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3313 on: December 11, 2011, 04:00:58 pm »

Asking for a refund on a donation is... I don't know. I'm kind of paralyzed by the audacity of that!

He may have a good reason for it. Unless he wants the donation back simply because he isn't satisfied with the game no more... in which case I'd have to wonder if he does the same thing to the Salvation Army Santa Clauses.

Him: "Here's 5 bucks."
Santa: "Thank you, this will go to helping others."
Him: "Wait, you mean I don't get anything out of it? Give it back!"

That aside, I wonder what the improvements to the adventure trading screen will be...
I mean, I never really did any trading in adventure mode... I always just salvaged stuff from lairs and camps. Then I'd die in the process.

I imagine though with the new cities, tombs, dungeons, and catacombs I'll probably spend a good bit in adventure mode this time. Though I am also looking forward to the dwarf mode stuff, like historical migrants and the better unit screen. Then there's the stuff that affects both modes, vampires, were-creatures, and necromancers. It may not change the game drastically, but there is certainly going to be enough to keep me busy for while.

You know what, EmeraldWind?  You were right about the latter portion about me.  It really is because I'm dissatisfied with the game, and yes, I'd ask for money back from the Salvation Army Santa if I found out that the "helping others" bit actually means spending 99% of the money on paying Salvation Army Santa paychecks and overhead, causing a total effect of 10% of that money trickling down to the needy.  In fact, I'd either ask for my money back or I'd stand right next to him with my own bell and start yelling at people on the street to stop giving to them, or at the very least start yelling in a very loud and audible voice for them to change their ways.

I kind of feel like I was unfairly lured into this game and community, and my money was taken for a cause that didn't really exist.  The more I look at the community, the more I'm starting to wonder if that cause seemed to exist more in a statistical calculation of the proportion of potential DF players that would have been tricked into donating before finding out that the game isn't even playable to them and 90% of the general public.  I thought I was donating to a good cause, the creation of a game that is the answer to Valve's over-popular main-streamized releases, Minecraft's endlessly addictive grinding, and Angry Birds' coffee break gaming.  What I eventually found out was that the game's getting rave reviews from people who don't seem to have any real interest in making the game more accessible to the general public, there's an endless amount of mindless grinding just to do anything, and you'd have to take Angry Birds breaks just to prevent yourself from ripping your hair out.

As much as I like a close-knit community that isn't composed of 8 year old children calling you "fagget" every 3 seconds, I'd still prefer Toady to hire someone to help him with making the game more playable to its users, rather than trying to add on new content that undoubtedly more than 90% of players will never see.

The more I look at the devlog, the more I'm concerned that the previous problems with the game such as the AI and menu grinding are going to interfere in a game-breaking way.  Sure there's going to be more content to explore, but knowing Toady's track record, I'll have to come to expect not only new problems, but the old problems causing even more issues than before.  I know it's probably redundant, and most of the users on this thread have already either voiced or formulated their concerns, thoughts, and praise from Toady's last post, but I'll summarize them anyway.

-----------------------------------

[1]At first, I thought the first sentence of Toady's answer about customs indicated that he had completed the framework for procedurally generated cultures.  This made perfect sense, since his brother's got a degree in history, and anyone that knows anything about history knows that cultures are based on any and all cultures that have interacted with them in their past or present.  Knowing that Toady likes coding and things that interact with one another, it would seem like an obvious progression.  Unfortunately, it just seems that cultural motifs are simply based on his writer, ThreeToe, and not on some sort of totally awesome history algorithm.

[2]I don't think that keeping a bare minimum playability and sensibility would really fly for those 90% that keep leaving the game.  Somehow, I don't think that making villagers move around and work is a good idea at all, based on the AI from Fortress Mode.  Of course, making villagers completely invincible and incapable of changing mood, hunger, thirst, or any other individual stat that's changeable in Fortress Mode would likely alleviate that, but I don't want to have anybody moving about and performing jobs if that's only going to make them do stupid things like swim around in the sewers and rivers, flood the entire town with lava, or have everyone in town congregate into a moshpit in a closet somewhere.

[3]It almost sounds like Toady's never really played his own game, which would go a long way to explain why he doesn't seem to really give a capybara's ass in regards to the problems that are scaring the majority of users away.  Then again, that'd just be silly.  He's undoubtedly played Dwarf Fortress before, and and probably doesn't give a damn about that statement he made two years ago about not wanting the community to get all elitist on him.
Come on now.  I want people to play my game.  When you guys get all exclusive, it's bad for me.
I'm starting to think he's intentionally making the game worse than what it should be in order to keep the exclusive nature of the community intact so he and the community don't have to deal with moderating a forum of newby jackasses all day long, which is understandable, but  of course, that's a debate for another time.

[4]In the stance on attributes, I think that it's spot-on.  Attributes shouldn't be the be-all, end-all of what determines a dwarf's output.  Of course, it should have some sort of XP and job-related happiness modifier to make it more realistic, but then again, the game was never about realism, was it?

[5]It looks like Toady really, truly intended prisoner punishments to be death sentences, which would make the game all kinds of harder, and  would make the game more enjoyable except for the fact that they're usually imprisoned for not reprioritizing their job orders to coincide with your  baroness' mandates.  Until the Job Prioritization portion of the devlog gets done, the whole of the punishment and justice system will remain broken and untenable

[6][7][13][14] I think that most of us can agree that war with the homeland is just one of a myriad of things that Toady really shouldn't be prioritizing, and won't make the game much better, even if he implements it in all of its full glory.  Much to our chagrin, I'm sure he's going to end up working on this long before he fixes whatever problems with vendor pricing, vampires, or town generation he causes in the upcoming releases.  I do believe that the answers to caknuck, King_of_the_weasles, and Cruxador are the only things that I have no real reservations about, which is kind of sad, in my opinion.  They're the little details that make the game a little bit nicer if they work, and don't really matter at all if they don't work.

[8]I think that Toady is expecting kind of a lot from the player in regards to prisoner ethics.  Then again, he's always expecting an excessive amount of contribution and devotion from the player in order to play his game, so I guess that point isn't really valid.  Regardless, I find it odd that he expects the player to keep prisoners despite the fact that the only use they have is probably preventing more attacks from coming from their homeland.  Hell, I'm not even sure that there even is a diplomatic disposition modification that takes place whenever you execute prisoners, but there is obviously no discernable incentive for keeping prisoners alive.  You can't negotiate with the hostile nation, they can't be converted to the dwarven side, you can't even take them out of their cages without them trying to attack you like some wild animal.  It's quite unreasonable to expect the player to treat them any differenely.

[9]I find it interesting that Toady's starting to get "time-sqeezed" working on all of these new additions.  He won't hire anyone to fix the old, game-breaking problems, and he isn't willing to fix them himself, and now it seems that he can't even be bothered to handle issues regarding things that haven't even been released to the public yet.  I'm starting to really fear for the future of DF if things like this keep up.

[10] The main issue about this is the fact that every time I find and kill a vampire, I'd have not only repeat the Burrow Dance in order to prevent my dwarves from contaminating my cistern, I'd have to also look around and check every single dwarf in the area to make sure they haven't hauled away a contaminated bucket or have to go into Dwarf Therapist and ensure that I've disabled every single job on every single dwarf in the hopes that 1 or 2 of them will consider Cleaning to be a more important job than No Job.  Of course, more likely than not, out of a fortress of 235 dwarves, not a single one of them will consider Cleaning to be more important than No Job, so I'd probably have to do the DFHack Waltz whenever a vampire is killed to clean up all that contaminated blood.  Of course, I'm sure you all are aware of the fact that though most of us would do all that, the overwhelming majority of players would probably do the Fuck This Game Tango and stop playing at that point.

[11]Is that really NOEMOTION I see?  It makes me think that to identify vampires, all you have to do is just go into the unit's description screen and find that there's either no mention of what the dwarf was feeling lately, or that the description of their emotional state never changes.  I'm quite worried with what Toady's admitted to in regards to the problems with vampires at this point.  It's nice that he admits to releasing something that doesn't work right, but it'd be nicer if he admitted to more than just the occasional sentence.  I'd like to know what problems to expect, rather than have to find them all on my own.

[12]The only thing I'm glad about is the fact that you won't have to do burrowing surgery in order to find a vampire, since it looks like just examining the unit description should be sufficient.  Repeating mandatory blood testing and cleaning procedures would take hours to do for each and every migrant wave and might even make 95% of players leave instead of just 90%.

-----------------------------------

I doubt that I was very comprehensive in this post, and I apologize in advance for the next part not meeting real analysis-type standards, either.  It also seems that I butchered the point on [4].  I'll make sure to read over the information a few more times before posting on the next part.

[1] Neonivek
[2] Knight Otu
[3] Monk12
[4] Kogut
[5] Di
[6] Ganthan
[7] caknuck
[8] Rystic
[9] Shinotsa
[10] Dsarker
[11] Fieari
[12] Dae
[13] King_of_the_weasles
[14] Cruxador
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 04:31:47 pm by murlocdummy »

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3314 on: December 11, 2011, 04:11:48 pm »

So, in an effort to help visualize the cities, I created a couple of "map overlays" that allow you to see a direct comparison between the abstracted maps we've seen so far, and what is actually in-game. I didn't know that this relationship is practically one-to-one, so the overlays ended up looking really nice.

I guess this style of forum doesn't let you include straight up HTML, so you can find said overlays here:
http://jreengusoccurring.blogspot.com/2011/12/city-map-overlays.html
Pages: 1 ... 219 220 [221] 222 223 ... 298