Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 222 223 [224] 225 226 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1167059 times)

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3345 on: December 12, 2011, 01:23:36 am »

This is more of a curiosity than anything I suppose, and a strange one at that, but...

Will substances other than food or drink nourish or quench adventurers, such as, for the sake of simplicity and the most likely thing I suspect some people to drink, blood? And if so, is it possible for any substances to do both?
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3346 on: December 12, 2011, 01:44:41 am »

This is more of a curiosity than anything I suppose, and a strange one at that, but...

Will substances other than food or drink nourish or quench adventurers, such as, for the sake of simplicity and the most likely thing I suspect some people to drink, blood? And if so, is it possible for any substances to do both?

I suspect that blood, right now is still a contaminant, and not a liquid, so it cant be quaffed. Presumably, the Creature Raws will determine what you can eat for nourishment. So an example, goblins should be able to eat bones for nourishment.

I dont know if something can do both though.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3347 on: December 12, 2011, 02:24:03 am »

I suspect that blood, right now is still a contaminant, and not a liquid, so it cant be quaffed. Presumably, the Creature Raws will determine what you can eat for nourishment. So an example, goblins should be able to eat bones for nourishment.

Well, what I mean is, you can currently drink blood and such in adventure mode, and I'm curious as to whether or not that will actually do anything. Other than be a terrible diet.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3348 on: December 12, 2011, 02:27:12 am »

Well, what I mean is, you can currently drink blood and such in adventure mode, and I'm curious as to whether or not that will actually do anything. Other than be a terrible diet.
Outside of giving the affects of indigesting the contaminant, I suspect nothing.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Quantumtroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3349 on: December 12, 2011, 03:19:54 am »

Regarding the issue of overabundant bones, why don't bones decompose?  Bones get all brittle and useless and easily crumble into dust if you're not careful about preserving them.  Excess bone should just be dumped into garbage middens.

But that brings up a question:

Do household items like pots and jars wear out or break?  Will there be garbage middens for DF archaelogists to dig through?

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3350 on: December 12, 2011, 03:38:56 am »

I saw a barrel of honeybee venom for sale in a shop today.  I wonder if that would qualify as thirst-quenching? (along with all the random animal liquids in barrels)
where is up?

drkpaladin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3351 on: December 12, 2011, 04:13:36 am »

Let's not talk about a person who's been banned and can't defend themselves.
It's over now.

I'm just sad that someone like him can start off with a coherent enough argument (at least in part), then completely devolve into feeling ripped off because he made a voluntary donation to someone with extremely transparent development practices and pretty much nothing at all to hide. Christ, donating to DF isn't exactly an uninformed decision unless you really, really try hard not to try.

Wow, seeing as how I've enjoyed both the game and community for a long time now without donating makes me feel like an ass after reading that guy's rants.  I promise I'll find gainful employment soon and start donating regularly!  I just have to make sure I can scrape together a few Christmas presents first too.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #3352 on: December 12, 2011, 04:28:15 am »

I saw a barrel of honeybee venom for sale in a shop today.  I wonder if that would qualify as thirst-quenching? (along with all the random animal liquids in barrels)

Mental image of someone crazy enough to milk enough bees to fill barrel with venom ...

And pile of dead bees ... poor, poor abused bees ...

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #3353 on: December 12, 2011, 04:52:40 am »

Regarding rivers and ramps, what happens if a river is lower than the surrounding terrain? Are the ramps just on the top level or do the banks extend further out?

eg:
.,        .,

▒▒
      ▲▒▒
▒▒▒
   ▲▒▒▒
▒▒▒▒
▲≈≈▲▒▒▒▒
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

edit:typo
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 10:53:12 am by rhesusmacabre »

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3354 on: December 12, 2011, 06:06:14 am »

Why does everyone keep saying that blood should be poisonous, made you ill or whatnot? Blood is actually completely edible and quite nourishing. It's more of a food than drink, though.
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

namad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3355 on: December 12, 2011, 06:07:03 am »

Asking for a refund on a donation is... I don't know. I'm kind of paralyzed by the audacity of that!

He may have a good reason for it. Unless he wants the donation back simply because he isn't satisfied with the game no more... in which case I'd have to wonder if he does the same thing to the Salvation Army Santa Clauses.

Him: "Here's 5 bucks."
Santa: "Thank you, this will go to helping others."
Him: "Wait, you mean I don't get anything out of it? Give it back!"

That aside, I wonder what the improvements to the adventure trading screen will be...
I mean, I never really did any trading in adventure mode... I always just salvaged stuff from lairs and camps. Then I'd die in the process.

I imagine though with the new cities, tombs, dungeons, and catacombs I'll probably spend a good bit in adventure mode this time. Though I am also looking forward to the dwarf mode stuff, like historical migrants and the better unit screen. Then there's the stuff that affects both modes, vampires, were-creatures, and necromancers. It may not change the game drastically, but there is certainly going to be enough to keep me busy for while.

You know what, EmeraldWind?  You were right about the latter portion about me.  It really is because I'm dissatisfied with the game, and yes, I'd ask for money back from the Salvation Army Santa if I found out that the "helping others" bit actually means spending 99% of the money on paying Salvation Army Santa paychecks and overhead, causing a total effect of 10% of that money trickling down to the needy.  In fact, I'd either ask for my money back or I'd stand right next to him with my own bell and start yelling at people on the street to stop giving to them, or at the very least start yelling in a very loud and audible voice for them to change their ways.

I kind of feel like I was unfairly lured into this game and community, and my money was taken for a cause that didn't really exist.  The more I look at the community, the more I'm starting to wonder if that cause seemed to exist more in a statistical calculation of the proportion of potential DF players that would have been tricked into donating before finding out that the game isn't even playable to them and 90% of the general public.  I thought I was donating to a good cause, the creation of a game that is the answer to Valve's over-popular main-streamized releases, Minecraft's endlessly addictive grinding, and Angry Birds' coffee break gaming.  What I eventually found out was that the game's getting rave reviews from people who don't seem to have any real interest in making the game more accessible to the general public, there's an endless amount of mindless grinding just to do anything, and you'd have to take Angry Birds breaks just to prevent yourself from ripping your hair out.

As much as I like a close-knit community that isn't composed of 8 year old children calling you "fagget" every 3 seconds, I'd still prefer Toady to hire someone to help him with making the game more playable to its users, rather than trying to add on new content that undoubtedly more than 90% of players will never see.

The more I look at the devlog, the more I'm concerned that the previous problems with the game such as the AI and menu grinding are going to interfere in a game-breaking way.  Sure there's going to be more content to explore, but knowing Toady's track record, I'll have to come to expect not only new problems, but the old problems causing even more issues than before.  I know it's probably redundant, and most of the users on this thread have already either voiced or formulated their concerns, thoughts, and praise from Toady's last post, but I'll summarize them anyway.

-----------------------------------

i think you don't understand the difference between a donation and an investment.  if the salvation army went ahead and sent relief to a country you hated in their time of need, there's not a god damn thing you could do about it.  you don't go to stockholders meetings, your opinions don't actually matter.  if salvation army santa clause doesn't use the money the way you want him to, stop giving it to him.

Moddan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3356 on: December 12, 2011, 07:12:05 am »

Why does everyone keep saying that blood should be poisonous, made you ill or whatnot? Blood is actually completely edible and quite nourishing. It's more of a food than drink, though.

Wait, doesn't drinking good of amounts blood over a longer time actually lead to an iron overdose? I think the human body has serious problems getting rid of excess iron from ingested stuff. Some animals might be adapted to that.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 07:25:32 am by Moddan »

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3357 on: December 12, 2011, 07:14:13 am »

Oooh! or possibly Megabeasts that instead of dying come back as some sort of corrupted version of themselves (I can imagine Titans doing that)

Though I believe right now... Powers cannot be mummies and there are no "sentient" Megabeasts and no "social" semimegabeast.
Actually, from the mummy raws, it does look that powers can be mummies. I'm assuming that the IT_FORBIDDEN:SUPERNATURAL in the were and vamp interactions prevents powers from getting those, but mummies lack that tag in the posted raws.

It looks like interactions are set up to allow multiple targets with different effects for each.  However, I'm not sure how an interaction would be made self-targeting.  Shot in the dark, but maybe SELF instead of LINE_OF_SIGHT in the CDI:TARGET tag?

I also can't tell from those raws how "native" interactions are handled, i.e. a native ability to perform an interaction without getting the ability from a syndrome.  Maybe creature effect (CE) stuff can just be included in a creature def as well as a syndrome def?
Toady mentioned when he was on the interaction interface that interactions should be able to target multiple creatures/corpses easily, so that should be possible. For the native interactions, I'm assuming that the is a separate CAN_DO_INTERACTION creature tag below which the CDI tags are written.

Do household items like pots and jars wear out or break?  Will there be garbage middens for DF archaelogists to dig through?
Toady has mentioned before that there is some decay of worldgen goods, but we haven't heard any details yet. It doesn't happen afterwards yet, of course. We probably won't see garbage/broken stuff for a while. Archeology was mentioned by Toady as something of a goal when the game was smaller. I'm not sure what the current stance is there, though the Treasure Hunter and Explorer roles play into that idea.

Probably because it tends to be seen as gross. But yeah, since there's a number of blood-based foods, blood shouldn't be poisonous by default.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #3358 on: December 12, 2011, 08:12:22 am »

Toady has mentioned before that there is some decay of worldgen goods, but we haven't heard any details yet. It doesn't happen afterwards yet, of course. We probably won't see garbage/broken stuff for a while. Archeology was mentioned by Toady as something of a goal when the game was smaller. I'm not sure what the current stance is there, though the Treasure Hunter and Explorer roles play into that idea.

Also:

Digging and stone constructions

Ability to dig out soil tiles
    Buried boulders in some soils
    Ability to pull up surface boulders

If this ever comes to this particular thing, burried weaponry, clay jugs/pots and other items seem like logical thing to add "while he is at it", much like what happens with any other feature.

Muffindog

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #3359 on: December 12, 2011, 11:17:17 am »

Sweet! Interaction tags! This already looks like it's going to be awesome some of the modding capabilities out there. I earnestly look forward to the next release.

I've seen your works on the modding forum. I look forward to seeing what you'll make with these :D
Pages: 1 ... 222 223 [224] 225 226 ... 298