Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 256 257 [258] 259 260 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1154279 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3855 on: January 20, 2012, 01:36:16 pm »

I do wish though that people would try to do a search for their bugs before posting a new one - I'm certain Foot is going to be run ragged trying to figure out what the root bugs are and linking things intelligently. 

Not just me!  I'm only 1/4 as ragged now, thanks to Logical2u, Dwarfu, and Knight Otu.

Also, the thing about searching is that people who do search are by nature much harder to count.  There could be 10 people who search for every 1 that doesn't (whether on the bug tracker or in Suggestions), and we wouldn't really know.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3856 on: January 20, 2012, 06:40:12 pm »

Hrm, I was just pondering the features of the upcoming release earlier, and I was wondering if anyone knew if the unarmed combat nerf (well, making it less likely to put your fist through someone's skull) was still in?
I'm pretty sure that sprang from taverns, which obviously came about to populate the new cities. :P Will drunken-yet-friendly brawls be a possibility, then? As in, you can have a punch-up without becoming the hated enemy of an entire civilization?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3857 on: January 20, 2012, 06:49:09 pm »

I'm fairly certain that taverns aren't included in the new release (they're slated for release 3 here, we're on 1 right now), so I doubt anything non-night creature/interaction-specific has been done with combat.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3858 on: January 20, 2012, 07:52:09 pm »

Yeah, taverns aren't in yet, but you're right that Toady has said that's when he's looking at the potential for nonlethal combat, so you can have friendly tavern brawls without punching out somebodies brain every other fight.

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3859 on: January 20, 2012, 09:17:48 pm »

Going back over the sponsorship animals, I'm struck with some of the horrific possibilities for new giant animals and animal men. I'm eager to see how sponge men are to be implemented, or to watch the starting seven try to defend against a giant horseshoe crab.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3860 on: January 20, 2012, 09:21:21 pm »

... I'm eager to see how sponge men are to be implemented...

And will we be able to craft square pants for them?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3861 on: January 20, 2012, 09:22:54 pm »

You.

GTFO.

Yes you, get your stuff, and leave.

You're fired.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3862 on: January 20, 2012, 09:25:19 pm »

Ahh, okay. Thanks guys, couldn't remember if taverns were in(n) or not.
So, we have markets and housing so far, as well as the sewers/catacombs beneath, and then the occasional necromancer tower and things like that? Are any other kinds of buildings planned? I'm not putting any of these in green, since my helpful fellow forum-goers can most likely answer them for me.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3863 on: January 20, 2012, 09:40:40 pm »

You.

GTFO.

Yes you, get your stuff, and leave.

You're fired.

Who lives in a fortress on top of Mount Doom?
SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS!

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #3864 on: January 20, 2012, 10:13:28 pm »

SPONGEmanBOB SQUAREcarpleatherPANTS?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 10:16:28 pm by Quatch »
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3865 on: January 20, 2012, 10:38:41 pm »

Will armour ever have a noticeable effect on speed and dodging? I mean, will leather armour have a concrete advantage over steel when it comes to fast response to attacks and a dodging boost?

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3866 on: January 20, 2012, 11:00:27 pm »

Will armour ever have a noticeable effect on speed and dodging? I mean, will leather armour have a concrete advantage over steel when it comes to fast response to attacks and a dodging boost?

Release 7 has a Combat move/speed separation. That may change things a bit depending on the specifics.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3867 on: January 20, 2012, 11:00:51 pm »

My current OFFICIAL COMMENTARY regarding "I'm down to dwarf-thought preference strings and coloration issue"

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD MAN, WE CAN LIVE WITH THOSE BEING BUGS! RELEASE. THE. GAME. !!!!!!!!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3868 on: January 20, 2012, 11:06:05 pm »

Those are just the last issues with the animal sponsorship critters.

So I know this gets asked constantly, but is there anyone who knows what Toady has left to sort out before release? I am so excited to play this beast. :]
Well, according to the bay12 report, and assuming that he is working trough tasks in the order listed there, all that's left after the animals is incorporating some SDL fixes. 

My understanding is that optimization and map maintenance aren't done yet:
01/13/2012 Toady One While I continue to mull over map maintenance on paper, I undertook some general optimization today [...] There's still a large change that'll need to be made in how items are stored, since all of the auxiliary indexing structures that keep dwarf mode playable get hammered as you move around in item-heavy towns in adventure mode. Artwork generation has also become slow. Targeting too, in all modes, something to do with the werewolf/necromancer checks.

He hasn't mentioned completing those optimizations, or doing map maintenance on not-paper, so I wouldn't be shocked if there's a week's worth of work left on those sections combined.

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3869 on: January 20, 2012, 11:06:53 pm »

will titans, forgotten beasts and mega beasts automatically rise from the dead in regions were normal creatures would? Also would this only apply above ground, or all the way down to the circus?

This is assuming what I heard about how in certain regions creatures will just rise from the dead is.true, if this isn't the case please ignore.
Pages: 1 ... 256 257 [258] 259 260 ... 298