Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 257 258 [259] 260 261 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1154208 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3870 on: January 20, 2012, 11:11:40 pm »

It's true- I'd presume that it applies to all creatures regardless of megabeast status, but I haven't heard about whether regional effects on the surface affect what goes on Down Under.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3871 on: January 20, 2012, 11:50:53 pm »

will titans, forgotten beasts and mega beasts automatically rise from the dead in regions were normal creatures would? Also would this only apply above ground, or all the way down to the circus?

This is assuming what I heard about how in certain regions creatures will just rise from the dead is.true, if this isn't the case please ignore.

Depending on what you mean by automatically (I'm assuming that you mean instantaneously as in right after death), creatures may or may not. The regional zombie interaction Toady showed us had this: [IE_INTERMITTENT:WEEKLY].

I assume it mean that the interaction only animates the dead once a week or every other week.

Though some versions of the interaction (player-made or randomly generated) could have dead creatures immediately getting up as a zombie.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3872 on: January 21, 2012, 12:18:15 am »

Does the term "release compile" suggest what I think it suggests?

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3873 on: January 21, 2012, 12:26:20 am »

When you're compiling to distribute to testers (in this case, ThreeToe) you create a release compile rather than a debug compile. It's a technical term rather than an indication that it's as close as you might think. It's still close, it's just not that close.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3874 on: January 21, 2012, 12:28:19 am »

When you're compiling to distribute to testers (in this case, ThreeToe) you create a release compile rather than a debug compile. It's a technical term rather than an indication that it's as close as you might think. It's still close, it's just not that close.

yeah I about 50% thought that was what it meant v_>

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3875 on: January 21, 2012, 02:53:17 am »

"Release" compile setting usually means it has many compiler-done optimizations turned on. But these are time consuming and compilation may take quite long so you don't use them in typical code->compile->code->compile->etc workflow. You use these only for actuall releases or test releases. In this case it seems to be a test release for ThreeToe to find bugs. Toady still has about a week of work to finish stuff in current estimation.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

eux0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3876 on: January 21, 2012, 08:24:21 am »

will titans, forgotten beasts and mega beasts automatically rise from the dead in regions were normal creatures would? Also would this only apply above ground, or all the way down to the circus?

This is assuming what I heard about how in certain regions creatures will just rise from the dead is.true, if this isn't the case please ignore.

this made me think: regional effects and things like the vileness-level are distributed totally at random atm, arent they? would it be more df-like if those things had a reason to be there? i am pretty sure having reasons for that kind of stuff is already planned but does anyone know the specifics of those plans? the thing werechicken made me think of specifically is: the circus is completely labeled as evil region and around entrances you have those regions on the surface too. im pretty sure there are entrances, since some clowns become rulers from time to time

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3877 on: January 21, 2012, 08:40:54 am »

If titans and like do rise from the dead I could have my own zombie zoo. I might even be able to weaponise the horrors, depending how undead react to goblins in the next release.

My main worry is opening the circus, the clowns coming to visit, then later; zombie clowns!

That being said my first fort is still definitely going to be in one of these evil regions.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3878 on: January 21, 2012, 08:54:06 am »

this made me think: regional effects and things like the vileness-level are distributed totally at random atm, arent they? would it be more df-like if those things had a reason to be there? i am pretty sure having reasons for that kind of stuff is already planned but does anyone know the specifics of those plans? the thing werechicken made me think of specifically is: the circus is completely labeled as evil region and around entrances you have those regions on the surface too. im pretty sure there are entrances, since some clowns become rulers from time to time
There was a bit about this in DF Talk 16, namely as part of the last question. I don't think there are detailed plans at the moment, though there is a plan to replace good/evil regions with sphere-aligned regions (the various stuff Toady did for evil regions would then migrate to death/disease/deformity/misery/murder/etc regions, as far as those exist).
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3879 on: January 21, 2012, 10:32:43 am »

If titans and like do rise from the dead I could have my own zombie zoo. I might even be able to weaponise the horrors, depending how undead react to goblins in the next release.

My main worry is opening the circus, the clowns coming to visit, then later; zombie clowns!

That being said my first fort is still definitely going to be in one of these evil regions.

When you defeat a clown in combat they become ash (confetti?), so I don't think the clowns are going to be zombies...

But being as skin can raise, it is possible the clown's confetti could be zombiefied depending on if it is treated as remains or not.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Kappas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3880 on: January 21, 2012, 11:55:50 am »

One more thing about release builds in case you are interested: In all likelyhood there are pieces of code which are included only on debug configuration and never appear in release builds. The reason for this is, that for software to work these pieces are not obligatory and usually used to check if something is going wrong in a way that should not be possible. The reason why these are not usually included in releases is, that every check takes time from the processor, so it would not be prudent to clutter it with unnescessary checks.

In the otherhand, when the program is changed, even in a small manner, it may bring forth new bugs.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 11:57:29 am by Kappas »

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3881 on: January 21, 2012, 01:39:42 pm »

When you defeat a clown in combat they become ash (confetti?), so I don't think the clowns are going to be zombies...
Zombie HFS is already in the game, unless they were removed in a later version (that was 31.04 or so).

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3882 on: January 21, 2012, 04:49:44 pm »

regarding new weather being worked on, will there be evil snow? If so, will it be yellow?

Kappas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3883 on: January 21, 2012, 04:52:34 pm »

regarding new weather being worked on, will there be evil snow? If so, will it be yellow?
Now that was a good one albeit rather disgusting.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3884 on: January 21, 2012, 08:00:21 pm »

thanks  :D
Pages: 1 ... 257 258 [259] 260 261 ... 298