Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 259 260 [261] 262 263 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1154376 times)

Ebergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3900 on: January 22, 2012, 03:36:12 am »

Dear Toady One,
Will it be possible in upcoming update to choose material from which the dwarves will make items in shops like Mason or Carpenter? Just to order dwarves - make only marble doors! Not doors from all material types.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3901 on: January 22, 2012, 03:39:06 am »

Please remember that you should try to refrain from giving toady suggestions through questions when possible.

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3902 on: January 22, 2012, 03:55:27 am »

Dear Toady One,
Will it be possible in upcoming update to choose material from which the dwarves will make items in shops like Mason or Carpenter? Just to order dwarves - make only marble doors! Not doors from all material types.

from the dev page -
Workshop Material Use and Specific Object Construction

Ability to specify material used in jobs
    Ability to order the construction of a specific item or decoration of item in complete detail

Not now, but eventually.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3903 on: January 22, 2012, 05:13:43 am »

I've obviously missed something here. The deadly mists and rains, they are "evil" regions only right? Because Toady's choice of words makes it sound like there's a chance of being slaughtered by your own melting zombie dwarves no matter where you live. :P
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Disreputable_Dog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3904 on: January 22, 2012, 06:21:03 am »

is it just me, or does it feel like the world (as a whole, for the entire game) feel like they are getting older, moving forward?

The seed of magic slowly growing, the interactions between cities and civs becoming more complicated, trading happening on a grander scale. it feels like (to me) that the world as a whole is going through the process of history itself, which seems very fitting for a game like this.

obviously this is just because the developement is going from simple to more complex, but i can already feel like there is history behind it, as if all these changes and updates were part of one seamless timeline in a world, going from a world that was barren and simplistic to one that is complicated and interconnected. I can't wait to see where it goes next!

Shadowscales

• Bay Watcher
  • rawr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3905 on: January 22, 2012, 06:55:31 am »

So Toady, will it be possible to mod in mutations that physically change the body of the victim through curses?
If so, we have the possibility of a mutation system!
Welcome to the fold, the weirdos are in that corner, and that one, and those two. And in the middle too, we're all weirdos in the Furry Fandom

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3906 on: January 22, 2012, 07:06:42 am »

I've obviously missed something here. The deadly mists and rains, they are "evil" regions only right? Because Toady's choice of words makes it sound like there's a chance of being slaughtered by your own melting zombie dwarves no matter where you live. :P
He's said the mists are only in evil places, but as far as we know nothing keeps the husks from migrating to other regions.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3907 on: January 22, 2012, 07:12:43 am »

He's said the mists are only in evil places, but as far as we know nothing keeps the husks from migrating to other regions.
Don't Goblins love evil biomes?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3908 on: January 22, 2012, 07:46:43 am »

Thanks, Toady!

So Toady, will it be possible to mod in mutations that physically change the body of the victim through curses?
Not yet, no. He said previously (in the context of frankensteinian monsters, but the same things apply) that actual body changes would require a potentially long-ish rewrite of the body system.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3909 on: January 22, 2012, 07:55:06 am »

Not yet, no. He said previously (in the context of frankensteinian monsters, but the same things apply) that actual body changes would require a potentially long-ish rewrite of the body system.

But isn't that what we have now with stuff like the were-wolves? I thought the major issue lay in correctly transcribing wounds. Since Shadowscales doesn't seemed concerned with that, we can just do what we currently do and make it go from one complete body to another.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3910 on: January 22, 2012, 08:03:11 am »

Thanks for the info, Toady!

Don't Goblins love evil biomes?

I think Toady has said somewhere before (can't remember where though; devlog maybe?) that mists arise in evil regions exclusively, but can drift outside of them. And he also said above:

Quote from: Toady One
When the mist gets out of its region, it'll drop off quickly.

So hopefully if you embark right next to an evil region but not in one, you'll have a (very?) small chance of still getting fun stuff.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3911 on: January 22, 2012, 08:31:16 am »

But isn't that what we have now with stuff like the were-wolves? I thought the major issue lay in correctly transcribing wounds. Since Shadowscales doesn't seemed concerned with that, we can just do what we currently do and make it go from one complete body to another.
No, werebeasts don't change the body, they get a whole new body for their werebeast form, with no relation to the actual human(oid) body. I suppose you could get a mutation system out of it, having a new creature definition for a third eye, one for a sixth digit, one for a third and and a sixth digit... for each race, but, well....

That said, I forgot one thing that probably counts as body changes as Shadowscales means them, which is changing non-color appearance modifiers (length, etc).
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3912 on: January 22, 2012, 08:59:21 am »

hmm. If transforming as were creatures heal all wounds, that would mean if you got that dwarf with his nerves cut in his arms/legs etc and got him bitten, he could become a soldier again. Though youde have to move them to the were creatures specified burrow or such.

I wonderWill, in future when we can drain animals blood into barrels, get the option for things like werebeasts etc to 'donate' some of their blood so you can safely convert your dwarves to a selected class?
I just imagine having all your warriors be able to turn into ware tigermen or warepolarbearmen or hell, ware giant badgermen in a safe way would be hugely convinient and useful. Along with allowing your dwarves to drink blood to sake their thirst mind.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3913 on: January 22, 2012, 09:28:04 am »

Huzzah!
Toady answered my question which means that I won't have to worry about metal fb's coming back to life in the evil regions.

These regions also seem to offer great ways of disposing if captured goblins. Let a new era of dwarvern war crimes commence!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3914 on: January 22, 2012, 09:38:19 am »

Odd, I think I just now realized the possibility of a Breath of Fire dragonclan mod.  Rebuild the weakened light dragon civilisation within an underground city, fight off gongheads and horsemen.  Withstand seiges led by the dark dragon clan and guardians and defeat false gods in the form of megabeasts.

The giant badgers won't know what hit them.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 259 260 [261] 262 263 ... 298