Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 265 266 [267] 268 269 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1161801 times)

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3990 on: January 25, 2012, 12:10:42 am »

If I understand correctly, this means that we can now leave an item in a specific place, like by a river or something, and find it on the exact tile we left it when we come back. Or, at least, we can keep things in places that aren't sites.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Anatoli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3991 on: January 25, 2012, 12:50:51 am »

"Your adventurers that get jumped out in the wilderness will also have findable remains/objects that you can go grab in your next game or embark upon with your dwarves."

Step 1: Create a fort. Make a giant artificial "cave". Abandon.
Step 2: Mod yourself as a dragon.
Step 3: Steal stuff, and put it in a now abandoned fort. (bonus for making it hereditary.)
Step 4: Embark with an adventure party and fight yourself. (or reclaim)

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3992 on: January 25, 2012, 02:43:46 am »

That means we could have adventurers survey sites for future embarks, and leave presents and markers for those dwarves!

Sweet idea.  If my adventurer survives his initial assault on the city, he's going to immediately take on the role of lead scout for the dwarves.  It's going to be like a fantasy Blood Meridian, the industrial dwarven revolution following a one-posse crime wave.  Say, is scalping possible in DF?
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3993 on: January 25, 2012, 04:04:22 am »

Quote from: Toady One
01/24/2012
 Lots of drop the spear, come back, get the spear today. And drop the backpack, leave, come back, see if there are still objects contained inside. You can now place a dagger, say, out in the woods far from any site and find it later on. Your adventurers that get jumped out in the wilderness will also have findable remains/objects that you can go grab in your next game or embark upon with your dwarves.

If items you drop in adventure mode stay where they're dropped even if you're killed, does this mean that items which are dropped in fortress mode stay EXACTLY where they're dropped if/when they're dropped at all? Does this mean that items being strewn over every tile of the embark area is now GONE from the fortress mode game?

Please, say yes.
I can't stand to think that you've done all this wonderful work improving items, getting them to stay put properly in adventure mode; but every time you abandon a fort it's like a giant robo-maid hit your fortress entry dead-on and vacuum-cleaner'd up the whole contents onto the surface, caves, and everywhere. :o
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 04:07:41 am by Mechanoid »
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3994 on: January 25, 2012, 05:20:44 am »

If items you drop in adventure mode stay where they're dropped even if you're killed, does this mean that items which are dropped in fortress mode stay EXACTLY where they're dropped if/when they're dropped at all? Does this mean that items being strewn over every tile of the embark area is now GONE from the fortress mode game?
That was never a bug or a limitation on tracking items.  Items being strewn about was originally a feature to simulate your site being ransacked.  Toady has admitted it sucks and needs improvement, but if he hasn't explicitly stated that it has been turned off then my money is that it hasn't.
where is up?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3995 on: January 25, 2012, 05:35:19 am »

01/24/2012
 Lots of drop the spear, come back, get the spear today. And drop the backpack, leave, come back, see if there are still objects contained inside. You can now place a dagger, say, out in the woods far from any site and find it later on. Your adventurers that get jumped out in the wilderness will also have findable remains/objects that you can go grab in your next game or embark upon with your dwarves.

Please, say yes.
I can't stand to think that you've done all this wonderful work improving items, getting them to stay put properly in adventure mode; but every time you abandon a fort it's like a giant robo-maid hit your fortress entry dead-on and vacuum-cleaner'd up the whole contents onto the surface, caves, and everywhere. :o
I'm going to say the answer is a big ole no. I had the same thought too, but storing items in sites never seem to be a real issue, and your fort, is a site. The reason why item placement became Dev worthy, is because there /so/ many new items to keep track of that the old means to store this info were failing, and that apparently spilled into just remember where everything is, everywhere. Or there about.

The Fort Mode reclaiming item scatter, is totally on purposeful, and has probably nothing to do with remembering where they're placed. As Toady said on a DF Talk, the item scatter was meant to mimic site degradation. Animals, and the weather moving crap around. I recall, Toady stating that he wasn't to happy with what it does. But it's here to stay, for now.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3996 on: January 25, 2012, 05:37:07 am »

What if

If that was ever the reason. It isn't.

I was simply saying that you are going to get that everytime.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3997 on: January 25, 2012, 09:28:39 am »

That was never a bug or a limitation on tracking items.  Items being strewn about was originally a feature to simulate your site being ransacked.  Toady has admitted it sucks and needs improvement, but if he hasn't explicitly stated that it has been turned off then my money is that it hasn't.

Yup.  Note that heavy items get moved little or at all -- despite being annoying, it's intended behavior.

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3998 on: January 25, 2012, 02:46:17 pm »

I'm rather(understatement) excited about possibly getting new update soon.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3999 on: January 25, 2012, 03:56:52 pm »

Yup.  Note that heavy items get moved little or at all -- despite being annoying, it's intended behavior.

I know it's intended behavour for items at present to fly to the far corners of the embark site when you lose a fortress. I want to know if that feature is now gone, because here's this new feature that opens the possibility for actual adventure mode NPCs to do the moving-the-items-around bit ( 8) ) and do it more accurately/realistically then the current item-fling code does. It'd just be nice to taste the item location persistence that towns will get in abandoned fortresses; if you play a modded kobold adventurer and move all the nice items into a collection in a bedroom, the moment you lose a reclaim on that site it's going to go everywhere.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4000 on: January 25, 2012, 04:09:08 pm »

I know it's intended behavour for items at present to fly to the far corners of the embark site when you lose a fortress. I want to know if that feature is now gone, because here's this new feature that opens the possibility for actual adventure mode NPCs to do the moving-the-items-around bit ( 8) ) and do it more accurately/realistically then the current item-fling code does.

That would be cool and all, but a new procedural scattering system is not something Toady's going to add to this release in the 11th hour.  He could disable the current scattering by tweaking a single number -- that's what you should request if your target is the next version.

Incidentally scattering came up a while back:
Quote from: Greiger
Though I do have one question.  In an adventurer made structure (or site or whathaveyou) will items inside still be scattered around to the hills?  Or will that be removed for adventure made sites?  Removed entirely?  Removed only in locations where it doesn't make sense?(Fully sealed underground rooms, etc)

It'll probably start with the removal of the scattering mechanic for the adv sites.  We have to be a little careful with your things.  After that though, there should be some reemergence of theft/scattering depending on the qualities of the site.  There's a balance to be struck, because it would be fun in a sense to use the villain hunting process to have a chance to track down the guy that took your stuff, but it would be incredibly annoying to have to do that very often (or even a few times).
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 04:11:49 pm by Footkerchief »

Cabbagetroll

• Bay Watcher
  • likes weiner dogs for their endless pluck
    • View Profile
« Reply #4001 on: January 25, 2012, 09:42:03 pm »

Question: are there any plans to implement a feature that will allow mass "Trade" designations, similar to the "Dump" and "Forbid" functions (d->b->T, perhaps)? This would sure make moving all those +green glass goblets+ a much less monotonous task.

Anatoli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4002 on: January 26, 2012, 12:27:40 am »

I fixed a problem where the soldiers had become difficult to get into your party because of their high skills... conversation skills. It's odd when a high flattery skill leads to somebody talking down to you.

To be fair, it is not that odd that high conversation skills can lead to them refusing you.

One, a person with a high conversation should be able to see right through your nice words that you only want to lead them on a murderous rampage to use as a cannon meat.

Two, a person with high self-esteem (I can assume high conversation = higher self esteem) might want not to go with the first stranger they see. They might want to wait until someone better comes along, confident that they will be able to convince them that they will be allowed to join.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4003 on: January 26, 2012, 01:06:28 am »

"Join your adventures ? Listen up, potential boy. I'm so good at flattering I can make you pee yourself with contentment in a few sentences. I'm so good at flattering people that *I* leave them with a higher opinion of myself ; I often accidentally flatter myself. I once flattered a dragon into marrying her just so I could get half the treasure over the divorce. THAT is how serious a flatterer I am.

By the way, nice shoes. You have feet built for kicking asses !"

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4004 on: January 26, 2012, 01:20:36 am »

One, a person with a high conversation should be able to see right through your nice words that you only want to lead them on a murderous rampage to use as a cannon meat.

Two, a person with high self-esteem (I can assume high conversation = higher self esteem) might want not to go with the first stranger they see. They might want to wait until someone better comes along, confident that they will be able to convince them that they will be allowed to join.

See http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Personality_trait and http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Conversationalist
Pages: 1 ... 265 266 [267] 268 269 ... 298