Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 268 269 [270] 271 272 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1154490 times)

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4035 on: January 27, 2012, 09:52:51 pm »

Glad to see that I'm not the only one with that suspicion. It gets tense when the time frame is "Two weeks to THIS INSTANT".
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4036 on: January 27, 2012, 10:01:39 pm »

God damnit I've got a serious feeling that the release is nigh but for all I know there are dozens of misc issues left.

I am getting IRL mocked for how often I'm refreshing /dwarves

You know it's coming when Footkerchief is getting worked up about it :P

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4037 on: January 27, 2012, 10:13:52 pm »

God damnit I've got a serious feeling that the release is nigh but for all I know there are dozens of misc issues left.

You make it sound like these are mutually exclusive possibilities.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Malt_Hitman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4038 on: January 27, 2012, 10:33:45 pm »

New post on the main page.

Quote from: ThreeToe
I caught a vampire too. A fisher-dwarf accused the expedition leader, who I knew was innocent of course. So I had my sheriff drag the fisher-dwarf to the dungeon. I had no hammer, so he had to wait to be executed while we forged one. After 50 hammer strikes I knew I was right, because he lived.

Did anyone else get a "We're going to execute you because God will protect you if you're innocent." vibe from this?  It just struck me as funny that Dwarven justice is about proving that someone is guilty if they can take an obscene punishment and survive it.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4039 on: January 27, 2012, 11:13:41 pm »

Damn you ThreeToe, you can't tease us like that and just leave us hanging !
Will it be out tonight ? Will it be out tomorrow ? I can't take the wait any longer !

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4040 on: January 27, 2012, 11:57:20 pm »

Did anyone else get a "We're going to execute you because God will protect you if you're innocent." vibe from this?  It just struck me as funny that Dwarven justice is about proving that someone is guilty if they can take an obscene punishment and survive it.
I thought that surviving the hammer proved that he was guilty?

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #4041 on: January 28, 2012, 12:07:05 am »

He survived even after 50 strikes, he's gotta be a Vampire. That's what i thought it meant.

Damnit, i'm getting all giddy now, thinking of the modding possibilites that the new release will open up...
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4042 on: January 28, 2012, 02:16:24 am »

He survived even after 50 strikes, he's gotta be a Vampire. That's what i thought it meant.

Damnit, i'm getting all giddy now, thinking of the modding possibilites that the new release will open up...
If they sink and drown, they be innocentdwarf.
If they float and live, they be a witch a carp.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #4043 on: January 28, 2012, 02:28:40 am »

Of course, the logical thing to do is subject all migrants to some sort of physical trial. Just to be sure...

And let's not forget:
A hammering is difficult to survive, but should it happen, then the punishment is served and the community naively assumes the convict is reformed.  It's reasonably silly as things stand, and we'll have to do more in the future.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4044 on: January 28, 2012, 02:49:24 am »

;-; Well now I'm really wishing I could sleep for the next two weeks.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

drvoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4045 on: January 28, 2012, 03:42:12 am »

With enough creative social engineering, could we end up with a Vampire Fortress?
Ambassador magma patiently awaits his meeting with your nobles.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4046 on: January 28, 2012, 04:50:23 am »

With enough creative social engineering, could we end up with a Vampire Fortress?

I'm pretty sure it's been said that it's possible. A repeating spike trap in the middle of a food stockpile set to only accept prepared meals and no barrels with the vampire burrowed on the spike might spatter blood all over your food, which has been confirmed (I believe) to spread vampirism among your dwarves. Alternatively, drop vampires from great heights into your food stockpile so they explode on impact. You lose the dwarf, but when the food gets eaten, you get more.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4047 on: January 28, 2012, 05:18:05 am »

Am I the only one who is more hyped about the historical immigrants than the vampirism? Imagine what it will do for the storytelling when immigrants can come from abandoned forts (or even that your fortress can be bloody enough to depopulate the world). I am all giddy about that. And the suggestion that the game runs much faster is even better. Can't begin to tell you how many fortresses I lost to FPS-death after large sieges and such.
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."

Glanzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4048 on: January 28, 2012, 06:29:27 am »

No, you're not! I look forward to naming my favorite adventures baron!

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4049 on: January 28, 2012, 06:51:30 am »

Don't forget that now when you lose your fort to the ever-present threat of lag you can abandon and start again. Three years in, Urist Baconface the Blind Justice of Murder, your old blind, fatless, legendary axedorf arrives.
Pages: 1 ... 268 269 [270] 271 272 ... 298