Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 269 270 [271] 272 273 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1154135 times)

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4050 on: January 28, 2012, 06:54:39 am »

God damnit I've got a serious feeling that the release is nigh but for all I know there are dozens of misc issues left.

I am getting IRL mocked for how often I'm refreshing /dwarves

Just get some graph paper and make plans.  Every time you fill a page, and not a square before, refresh.

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4051 on: January 28, 2012, 07:01:55 am »

Right then, this is as good an incentive as ever to patch up the outstanding bits in my vanilla Mod civilisation, the Thothgol, in preparation for adding the necessary stuff for the upcoming patch and the 'can-be-a-vampire/were-creature' changes. And historical figures; oooh dayumn.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 09:04:22 am by MasterMorality »

BinaryBeast1010011010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4052 on: January 28, 2012, 07:28:51 am »

I've been waiting for it to buy my new computer... What is the timeframe? Two weeks from now?
Please great toady make it one week, in Paris I have no way to download it... If I can get it before going back to this
Hellish city I"ll bless the 1z level fall in the stairs that kept me stuck at home...
cant stop playing DF?
 : (){ :|:& };:

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4053 on: January 28, 2012, 10:11:02 am »

If I can get it before going back to this Hellish city I"ll bless the 1z level fall in the stairs that kept me stuck at home...

Ah, I see you too have lived there for a while. My condolences.
Finding a wifi hotspot shouldn't be too hard though, just enter a McDonalds or something.

BinaryBeast1010011010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4054 on: January 28, 2012, 12:20:18 pm »

I might end up doing that you know... But I wanted it to be... Romantic! With candles, maybe some flowers scattered on the floor. This kind of thing...
cant stop playing DF?
 : (){ :|:& };:

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4055 on: January 28, 2012, 12:23:57 pm »

With enough creative social engineering, could we end up with a Vampire Fortress?

I'm pretty sure it's been said that it's possible. A repeating spike trap in the middle of a food stockpile set to only accept prepared meals and no barrels with the vampire burrowed on the spike might spatter blood all over your food...

Can you even have a stockpile over a building? I don't think you could stick a trap immediately under a stockpile.

However, you could have a repeating spike trap just prior to the stockpile and maybe vampires will bleed over the food. Maybe also with high traffic zones that are spiked alternating with the food stockpiles.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4056 on: January 28, 2012, 12:38:46 pm »

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

So close I can taste it!,  Here's hoping for tonight so I can use my whole day off to play with it.  I'll probably play it for maybe 20 minutes before my modding urge kicks in.   I predict the modding forum will become very very busy soon.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4057 on: January 28, 2012, 02:17:31 pm »

I'm pretty sure it's been said that it's possible. A repeating spike trap in the middle of a food stockpile set to only accept prepared meals and no barrels with the vampire burrowed on the spike might spatter blood all over your food...

Can you even have a stockpile over a building? I don't think you could stick a trap immediately under a stockpile.

However, you could have a repeating spike trap just prior to the stockpile and maybe vampires will bleed over the food. Maybe also with high traffic zones that are spiked alternating with the food stockpiles.

I was picturing designating a small food stockpile, then removing the center and building the spike trap there. The hope was you'd get some spatter, and that bleeding creatures that moved away would spread their blood over the food they walked across.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4058 on: January 28, 2012, 04:35:48 pm »

Now that everyone is a historical figure, will worldgen beasts target low-life peasants when rampaging? (As opposed to singling out famous people and ignoring everyone else)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 04:43:05 pm by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4059 on: January 28, 2012, 04:45:13 pm »

Now that everyone is a historical figure, will worldgen beasts target low-life peasants when rampaging? (As opposed to singling out famous people and ignoring everyone else)

Not answering your question but I think that will change once Rampages are Rampages involving many people and objects.

Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4060 on: January 28, 2012, 06:06:29 pm »

Not answering your question but I think that will change once Rampages are Rampages involving many people and objects.

Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Ha ha. Classic.

I always imagined rampages as being more the Grendel sort of attack (particularly as modeled in the book, rather than Beowulf, where it's a bit more ambiguous exactly what a Grendel-attack entails). And Grendel himself seems to map on almost perfectly to night creatures. . .

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4061 on: January 28, 2012, 06:59:27 pm »

Stealthy 40 foot monsters arn't they?

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4062 on: January 28, 2012, 07:16:45 pm »

Yeah. I really like the idea of Godzilla tiptoing carefully through a city, only to scamper away once more than 1 person sees him. :D

Anyway, I'm sure you're right and it'll get changed eventually to make a little more sense.

Oh my god, I've been refreshing way too often today. I'm guessing I'm overly excited about this, since probably it won't be released for a week or three (that's what I'm going to tell myself, at least, so I don't get too excited). But jeez, I want to play the new version. I really hope ThreeToe's speed increases translate to my computer as well—my forts usually slow to 40-60 FPS after 4 or 5 years at 100 popcap, and I'd love to be able to keep a fort for 10-15 years at a reasonable FPS.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4063 on: January 28, 2012, 09:21:04 pm »

Yeah, the way monsters target historical figures is kind of ridiculous. Under the default settings, nigh creatures kill almost every king of every civilization throughout the entire history of the world.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4064 on: January 29, 2012, 01:03:35 am »

More sponsorship tests -- retracted into my giant tortoise shell and let a tapir kick at me for a while and various other silliness. Fixed another crash bug that Zach found when he was being attacked by his animated refuse stockpile. More generally, he's got an issue list that is growing while I chip away at it. It's a process.

Tortoisemen, if they occur, should be hilarious to encounter. I wonder if they would stuff their arms, legs, and head into a shell?
Pages: 1 ... 269 270 [271] 272 273 ... 298