Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 278 279 [280] 281 282 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1154229 times)

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4185 on: February 04, 2012, 01:33:48 am »

Maybe problem with an invalid pointer ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pointer_%28computer_programming%29 )?
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Lac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4186 on: February 04, 2012, 04:30:34 am »

Hm, intriguing! Any guesses how slime rain would be messing up werewolves?
My guess is that it's when the rain has been induced using silver iodide.

Kriby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4187 on: February 04, 2012, 09:51:12 am »

I got a couple of questions for the new release!

1a. Wailing on someone's extremities with blunt force in the current release has basically no chance of killing them (adventurer mode). Will combat wounds be changed anything at all in this release? Specifically, will blunt trauma be able to cause hematomas and by extension relatively quick death through blood loss (internally)?

1b. Will blunt trauma be modified in any other way to make it a bit more realistic, such as wearing away tissue gradually (a solid hour of striker practice to the gut!), expelling air from lungs when that applies or destroying blood flow further out to extremities (temporarily disabling them and possibly leading to further complications if untreated such as necrotizing tissue requiring amputation)?

(It -IS- an adventurer mode update to a large degree and I feel that blunt weapons aren't as strong as they should be!)

2. How is the movement speed of reanimated bodyparts calculated? I wouldn't put much stock in a decapitated hand's ability to chase down an able-bodied dwarf any time soon!

More of a future question/suggestion almost:
As the magic system is gradually expanded, will there be secrets tied to the cycles of stars/moons/the sun? Essentially spells that have different effects, no effect, stronger/weaker effect or a global effect that takes place automatically based on the position of orbiting bodies (in the real world or connected planes).
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 10:08:22 am by Kriby »

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4188 on: February 04, 2012, 10:05:32 am »

1a. Wailing on someone's extremities with blunt force in the current release has basically no chance of killing them (adventurer mode). Will combat wounds be changed anything at all in this release? Specifically, will blunt trauma be able to cause hematomas and by extension relatively quick death through blood loss (internally)?

1b. Will blunt trauma be modified in any other way to make it a bit more realistic, such as wearing away tissue gradually (a solid hour of striker practice to the gut!), expelling air from lungs when that applies or destroying blood flow further out to extremities (temporarily disabling them and possibly leading to further complications if untreated such as necrotizing tissue requiring amputation)?

(It -IS- an adventurer mode update to a large degree and I feel that blunt weapons aren't as strong as they should be!)

Nothing will change about combat in this release. However, Toady plans to do a combat overhaul in the future.  And blunt weapons are very useful against armored opponents.
You should color your questions in limegreen to catch Toady's attention.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4189 on: February 04, 2012, 10:39:39 am »

As thvaz said, this hasn't changed for the upcoming release.  This largely falls under the concept of "pulping", which has not been slated for a particular release but might make it in soon:

DF Talk 14:
Rainseeker:   So the more wounds a creature has the easier it is to kill, or, how do you kill one of these creatures?
Toady:   Well if it's already wounded then it has a lesser attack capacity, especially if things are missing and chopped off, and you can hack off their heads and arms ... If a zombie has no grasping portions and it has no head then it collapses; so that's one way to go, is to hack it to pieces. Otherwise we've still got this system in where it just takes the amount of force that has been applied to it and you're kind of shaking loose the animation effect and then it just collapses, which is kind of like saying hit points, there's just a little bit more to it than that but not much, it's basically hit points, and that is until we get combat pulping, like really so that you can take a mace or a baseball bat or whatever and beat it into a pulp, an actual pulp. Then we won't need that system anymore, but we require pulping and there's no pulping so there's still a kind of crude damage that it just keeps track of in an abstract way for the animation effect.

2. How is the movement speed of reanimated bodyparts calculated? I wouldn't put much stock in a decapitated hand's ability to chase down an able-bodied dwarf any time soon!

Zombification means an overall speed decrease of 40% for the creature, so the body parts will be at least that slow (assuming it doesn't go all Addams Family).  Not sure if they'll get an additional speed penalty.

Regional Zombies
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As the magic system is gradually expanded, will there be secrets tied to the cycles of stars/moons/the sun? Essentially spells that have different effects, no effect, stronger/weaker effect or a global effect that takes place automatically based on the position of orbiting bodies (in the real world or connected planes).

Moon phases are already supported for werewolf transformations, so you could set up various abilities that are only active during the full moon or whatever.  Toady does plan to keep expanding the interaction system, and other celestial stuff (especially day-night cycles) would be an obvious route.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4190 on: February 04, 2012, 11:37:49 am »

I'm not sure if it's been asked, but Will there be a chance of Forgotten Beasts showing up and infecting dwarves with a syndrome that periodically turns them into a clone of the Forgotten Beast?
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4191 on: February 04, 2012, 11:51:49 am »

I'm not sure if it's been asked, but Will there be a chance of Forgotten Beasts showing up and infecting dwarves with a syndrome that periodically turns them into a clone of the Forgotten Beast?

Well, this would surely be interesting to watch. Forgotten beasts with zombie diseases would be cool too!

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4192 on: February 04, 2012, 12:21:02 pm »

Will you add at some point ability to turn FB off without having to turn of caverns? Or at least some way to control their numbers?

Kriby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4193 on: February 04, 2012, 12:35:57 pm »

There appears to be an inclination towards spell "research" in one of ThreeToe's stories. Are there any plans for research & development aspects of fortress mode once random materials come into play more? Static or possibly even dynamic "devices" designed bearing the name of the dwarf who engineered it that for example automate production of an item from base materials, convert matter into energy or that move blocks/liquid in new ways? Mixing crops to create new plants with special properties such as surviving underground, using lava instead of water, absorbing gas etc? I could go on all day! In short, are there any plans to include research as part of fortress gameplay?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4194 on: February 04, 2012, 01:57:45 pm »

Toady has not mentioned any changes to forgotten beasts for this release, so no.

Will you add at some point ability to turn FB off without having to turn of caverns? Or at least some way to control their numbers?

Reminder that suggestions go in the Suggestions forum.

There appears to be an inclination towards spell "research" in one of ThreeToe's stories. Are there any plans for research & development aspects of fortress mode once random materials come into play more? Static or possibly even dynamic "devices" designed bearing the name of the dwarf who engineered it that for example automate production of an item from base materials, convert matter into energy or that move blocks/liquid in new ways? Mixing crops to create new plants with special properties such as surviving underground, using lava instead of water, absorbing gas etc? I could go on all day! In short, are there any plans to include research as part of fortress gameplay?

Toady has discussed technological progression before:
Quote from: Toady One
Something like that.  I wouldn't say strictly physical for skills.  The main goal is to split out things that a creature shouldn't just be able to stumble upon with a little tinkering.  It perhaps falls in line with "technology" and would probably be stored at both the individual and civilization level.  It should also be able to capture notions like misinformation, so each of the most finely-grained concepts could say, have 32 bits worth of unspecified "facts" and a book could carry both information and misinformation for each bit, if things need to be kept concise.  I haven't sorted it out yet, but those are some of the things that need to be captured.

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4195 on: February 04, 2012, 02:03:57 pm »

I meant it as question not suggestion ._.;

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4196 on: February 04, 2012, 02:15:09 pm »

I meant it as question not suggestion ._.;

The idea is a good one -- it's technically straightforward, useful, and doesn't have any flavor issues.  Generally, for good ideas that aren't already on the development page, Toady's answer to "will it ever be in the game" is "it's a reasonable thing to add, but I don't know when I'll get to it."  That's all the information there is to be had on the topic, even from Toady, which is why question-suggestions aren't worth asking.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 02:18:57 pm by Footkerchief »

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4197 on: February 04, 2012, 02:30:44 pm »

Ah, I see....

Lumix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4198 on: February 04, 2012, 07:16:12 pm »

That would actually be amazing
I know it's fairly common but I killed 180+ people in his civilization before I went after him. I was kind of hoping for something a bit more substantial than a sucker punch and penis theft.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4199 on: February 04, 2012, 08:14:06 pm »

Toady has not mentioned any changes to forgotten beasts for this release, so no.
I disagree with this answer. 

Quote from: ToadyOne on 09/13/2011

The player-controlled dragonfire worked on all those elves in the arena, and things will actually catch on fire now instead of just melting. Forgotten beast webbers work properly (they are broken in the version you have now, as many of you know). Various cleanup on the interaction interfaces. I still have a page of issues for each of the new night creatures, and six and a half pages for the cities/markets/underground, in addition to the animal stuff. At least things are moving along again.

It seems like that Forgotten Beast are now using the interaction system. It might *just* be for their breath weapons, but I dont think its unreasonable to say that the other possible interactions could also be tossed in with Forgotten Beast generation.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#
Pages: 1 ... 278 279 [280] 281 282 ... 298