Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 279 280 [281] 282 283 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1154467 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4200 on: February 04, 2012, 08:51:47 pm »

It seems like that Forgotten Beast are now using the interaction system. It might *just* be for their breath weapons, but I dont think its unreasonable to say that the other possible interactions could also be tossed in with Forgotten Beast generation.

Fair point, although I still doubt that Toady added werewolf-like transformation stuff for them.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4201 on: February 04, 2012, 10:21:50 pm »

It seems like that Forgotten Beast are now using the interaction system. It might *just* be for their breath weapons, but I dont think its unreasonable to say that the other possible interactions could also be tossed in with Forgotten Beast generation.

Fair point, although I still doubt that Toady added werewolf-like transformation stuff for them.

Werewolf curses are passed as a syndrome (An interaction doesn't appear to be necessary if the syndrome is passed through a way already established for passing syndromes, like poisons.). FB syndromes are randomized. So it depends on if the RNG can draw on the creature transformation effect and then what the RNG picks for the transformed state. Though the dwarfs are unlikely to transform into an FB, but don't be surprised if an FB with poisonous gas turns all nearby dwarves into carp (which then air-drown).
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4202 on: February 05, 2012, 01:38:00 am »

I am glad to finally have an idea of what the eternally vague "map maintenance" meant (which is to say, reorganizing memory usage with respect to sites and the world map).  I am also amused by Toady's attempt to put memory management into layman's terms.  Its just one of those things that doesn't really translate well. 
where is up?

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4203 on: February 05, 2012, 11:36:01 am »

Hey it just dawned on me that we could now create single use transformations  :o This would mean wecan have now a stable trope from grims Fairytails: transformed princess XD

Is it possiblke to link a generic creature definition to a interaction to transform someone? Secondly is it possible to create a second interaction that would transform a thing/person back?
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4204 on: February 05, 2012, 07:34:26 pm »

Do you mean turning someone into a frog, then having them change back when kissed?

I... I think that's actually possible.  You would need to make the "kiss" available to be performed somehow, but it seems wholly doable.  The "turn people to frogs" could be given to some creature and... hmm...

I'm not certain but it seems like something within the bounds of the interaction system as described currently.  I'll have to add it to my !!SCIENCE!! list to check in the upcoming release...
where is up?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4205 on: February 05, 2012, 07:35:28 pm »

You could make a "kiss" interaction that does a syndrome that "un-transforms" a transformed creature.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4206 on: February 05, 2012, 08:37:58 pm »

You could make a "kiss" interaction that does a syndrome that "un-transforms" a transformed creature.

You would need a mouth and lips (sorta)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4207 on: February 05, 2012, 09:07:48 pm »

[CDI:BP_REQUIRED:BY_CATEGORY:MOUTH]

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4208 on: February 05, 2012, 09:09:15 pm »

You find tombs under cities, right?

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4209 on: February 05, 2012, 09:09:30 pm »

Do you mean turning someone into a frog, then having them change back when kissed?

I... I think that's actually possible.  You would need to make the "kiss" available to be performed somehow, but it seems wholly doable.  The "turn people to frogs" could be given to some creature and... hmm...

I'm not certain but it seems like something within the bounds of the interaction system as described currently.  I'll have to add it to my !!SCIENCE!! list to check in the upcoming release...

Actually i was thinking about making a material (powder) that does the transformation to spike some food with it and leave that out for children hehehe.

I am sure the basic transformation would work but i wonder if it is possible to have a interaction that turns off the effects of a specific other interaction. I guess you could go with the basic were-animal transformation and leave the timing stuff out to get a (supposed to be) permanent solution.

Hehe it could be, thought, a Gamebreaker if you just turn your pals into mice to carry around or into [mount]s. Worse yet, turn gobbos into sheep and sell them to the next village XD .

Heh and it would need to be a obtainable secret which is written into a tome/book along with a couple of other spells and mixtures. To bad if "some pages regarding secret xyz are missing " is part of the books description, well if we ever get to that point. I am faithful though.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4210 on: February 05, 2012, 09:58:51 pm »

Or you could just have the interactions be an intrinsic part of most intelligent creatures...

DFMM should be something everyone uses, really >_>

Kriby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4211 on: February 06, 2012, 04:48:57 am »

Will there be worlds generated with blood as the primal source of magical energy?

In what ways would magic be invoked in such worlds? (Your blood, the blood of others, animals? Remote blood manipulation?)

Will weapons gain boons or afflictions innately? Consider any weapon used for so much slaughter that it earns its own name. Would it gain sentience D&D style over time? Violent magical powers based on blood directed at the wielder and his enemies? (Martial trance easier/constantly, enraged easier/constantly, accuracy, speed (exhausting low endurance wielders), life draining, poisons, syndromes (WIELDER NEEDS MORE ARMS))

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4212 on: February 06, 2012, 05:41:55 am »

Will there be worlds generated with blood as the primal source of magical energy?
No clue. Magic is still post v1. The interaction system, just happens to allow magical effects.

In what ways would magic be invoked in such worlds? (Your blood, the blood of others, animals? Remote blood manipulation?)
Unknown. You're asking questions on another question thats unknowable.

Will weapons gain boons or afflictions innately? Consider any weapon used for so much slaughter that it earns its own name. Would it gain sentience D&D style over time? Violent magical powers based on blood directed at the wielder and his enemies? (Martial trance easier/constantly, enraged easier/constantly, accuracy, speed (exhausting low endurance wielders), life draining, poisons, syndromes (WIELDER NEEDS MORE ARMS))[/color]
Beside the blood thing, Artifacts are on the docket for a revision. Its unknown what ToadyOne and ThreeToes wants for Artifacts in particular. The podcast indicates they want Artifacts to have a lot more personality, and interaction with the world, there certainly tons of talking weapons.

Semi/Lesser Aftifact Objects, historical named weapons, I dont believe are planned to be promoted to full artifact status. Though they do get bonuses for becoming one.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
  • Sweet flaming monkey fire WHY are they doing that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4213 on: February 06, 2012, 07:02:15 am »

Beside the blood thing, Artifacts are on the docket for a revision. Its unknown what ToadyOne and ThreeToes wants for Artifacts in particular. The podcast indicates they want Artifacts to have a lot more personality, and interaction with the world, there certainly tons of talking weapons.

Semi/Lesser Aftifact Objects, historical named weapons, I dont believe are planned to be promoted to full artifact status. Though they do get bonuses for becoming one.
[/quote]

I seem to remember a DF talk bringing up named weapons and armour as gaining artifact like powers depending on how it got named. As in if a sword was used to kill 20 demons it would become more effective against other demons, It sounded like toady was of the opinion that weapon that got promoted to semi Artifact were just as deserving for magic bonuses as mood artifacts. So it might be that semi artifacts are just as powerful as mooded artifacts but have a much more limited range of effects.

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4214 on: February 06, 2012, 05:17:37 pm »

Um, maybe you should check first if there is any "magical energy" at all? Hint: no, there is not.

In other words, currently necromancer is capable to spam interaction to raise everything in your refuse stockpile, provided it is sufficiently close to necromancer. !!Fun!!
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.
Pages: 1 ... 279 280 [281] 282 283 ... 298