Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 280 281 [282] 283 284 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1154253 times)

Kriby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4215 on: February 06, 2012, 06:46:08 pm »

Uh, maybe you should refrain from making snide comments in a thread about discussing the future development of DF instead of remarking on what isn't in the upcoming build. Thanks.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4216 on: February 06, 2012, 06:59:23 pm »

Uh, maybe you should refrain from making snide comments in a thread about discussing the future development of DF instead of remarking on what isn't in the upcoming build. Thanks.
To be fair, it does sound pseudo-suggestiony. Like asking if lying will invove facial muscles being intact.

Cerol Lenslens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4217 on: February 06, 2012, 07:48:34 pm »

Consider any weapon used for so much slaughter that it earns its own name. Would it gain sentience D&D style over time?

Dunno, but IIRC, Toady discussed sentient artifacts a while back, as part of the revisions to the Dwarven Soul system. This allowed for souls to exist outside their body, and presumably for the transfer of souls into other objects.

Whether they can be spontaneously generated by objects might be a different matter, but I believe it was mentioned as a possibility for the random magic effects an artifact could have generated when it was created. It seems likely that the same would occur for name-earned artifacts as well. In either case, however, you'd likely just see the personality appear whole-cloth, instead of the gradual effect you mention.
"I've got a plan, hear me out on this one... I want to almost murder you."
"Boy, sure wish as Queen of the entire realm I had somebody to help me out with this. Advisor, tutor, anyone who knows what the hell they're looking at really.

Alas, the life of a Queen is a lonely one. Do the things with the whatsit."

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4218 on: February 06, 2012, 10:10:01 pm »

To be fair, it does sound pseudo-suggestiony. Like asking if lying will invove facial muscles being intact.

Well, every question asking precision about how things work or will work imply that you see the things working that way. So they're suggestions if it happens that things don't or are not planned as working this way.
The only way to refrain yourself from going there is by asking "how do you plan on..." which are usually not precise enough to generate a correct answer. Plus, most questions have been asked and it's such a long and ongoing process that Toady himself can't be sure. Asking an open question requires him to put time and thought into that subject when most of the time it's too early to know. On the other hand, if you ask him about a particular implementation he can say "nah, don't quite feel like I'll do it this way."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4219 on: February 06, 2012, 10:21:06 pm »

There is a very fine line between suggestions and legitimate questions. It is why people rarely call others on it even if it is obviously a suggestion.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4220 on: February 07, 2012, 02:32:39 am »

Do we know how extensive the SDL fixes are? Should we expect TrueType fonts to work perfectly in all situations now?

Not sure if this information is known to the general forum population, so I'll leave it un-green now and change it if nobody knows.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4221 on: February 07, 2012, 09:13:59 am »

Do we know how extensive the SDL fixes are? Should we expect TrueType fonts to work perfectly in all situations now?

Not sure if this information is known to the general forum population, so I'll leave it un-green now and change it if nobody knows.

By "work perfectly in all situations" do you mean "be usable for all text in the game," or "not cause the game to crash"?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4222 on: February 07, 2012, 11:54:04 am »

Are you also making more text use sdl than before?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4223 on: February 07, 2012, 05:42:44 pm »

Are you also making more text use sdl than before?
Gonna go with No on this. The Dev log suggests, that he's just included the SDL fixes, and that Braugn or ToadyOne have yet to expand upon it.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4224 on: February 07, 2012, 11:28:10 pm »

Can someone tell me what SDL is? :P

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4225 on: February 07, 2012, 11:35:12 pm »

http://www.libsdl.org/

Footkerchief would smite you for your inability to google search :P

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #4226 on: February 07, 2012, 11:40:16 pm »

Or Wiki :P

Short answer, it abstracts aspects of the code so that people can play DF on Linux and Mac, and I gather it is necessary for some fancy things like the TrueType stuff.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4227 on: February 08, 2012, 12:34:27 am »

By "work perfectly in all situations" do you mean "be usable for all text in the game," or "not cause the game to crash"?
Well, "perfectly" would entail both of those. I'm somewhat hoping that tilesets won't need to support text rendering in the nearish future.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4228 on: February 08, 2012, 12:36:30 am »

Well, "perfectly" would entail both of those. I'm somewhat hoping that tilesets won't need to support text rendering in the nearish future.

That should be what it means, yes.

Praise Baughn The Haruhiist!

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4229 on: February 08, 2012, 04:32:15 am »

Can't seem to get onto the devlog/download page

:O Is he uploading it? Right now? It's not just down for me. I asked the internet, guys. I asked the internet. It told me it was down, guys. IS IT HAPPENING?

I'm going mad here.

Is the new version being posted, or am I just freaking out over server issues?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 04:38:46 am by Doomshifter »
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.
Pages: 1 ... 280 281 [282] 283 284 ... 298