Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 281 282 [283] 284 285 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1154292 times)

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
  • The little oni that strikes the earth
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4230 on: February 08, 2012, 04:50:48 am »

I seem to be getting the same thing as well. That's news to me. Usually Toady would announce the release on the forum as well as his site. So to be honest I don't know. Probably doing to reconstruction? Who knows maybe preparing Mirrors.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 04:54:50 am by Totaku »
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for Otakukind!

And maker of the mod in progress known as Suika Fortress Now for 0.34.xx!

Genoraven

• Bay Watcher
  • 4 Ichy Tasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4231 on: February 08, 2012, 05:27:04 am »

Can't seem to get onto the devlog/download page

:O Is he uploading it? Right now? It's not just down for me. I asked the internet, guys. I asked the internet. It told me it was down, guys. IS IT HAPPENING?

I'm going mad here.

Is the new version being posted, or am I just freaking out over server issues?

No, i was freaking out too. And came here to check.
Urist McPeasant cancels point and laugh at Philosopher - Philosopher no longer exists.
Philosopher cancels job: abstractualize existence: interrupted by personal nonexistence.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4232 on: February 08, 2012, 05:28:33 am »

Can't seem to get onto the devlog/download page

:O Is he uploading it? Right now? It's not just down for me. I asked the internet, guys. I asked the internet. It told me it was down, guys. IS IT HAPPENING?

I'm going mad here.

Is the new version being posted, or am I just freaking out over server issues?

If he had uploaded a new version, I don't see any good reason why traffic would take the site down without us hearing about it. Unless the traffic exclusively came from a small enclave a very devoted fans who don't talk to anyone. Monks, maybe.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4233 on: February 08, 2012, 05:29:47 am »

The sacred vow of reload.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4234 on: February 08, 2012, 05:35:03 am »

I was very relaxed and then I freaked out when I saw the site was out.

edit: It is back. Another false positive.  :-\
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 05:39:52 am by thvaz »

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
  • The little oni that strikes the earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #4235 on: February 08, 2012, 05:40:03 am »

Site's back up. I must ask though... were those Mirrors there before. I may have forgotten since it's been so long since I DL'd DF.

Edit: scratch that, I remember now there was mirrors.
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for Otakukind!

And maker of the mod in progress known as Suika Fortress Now for 0.34.xx!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #4236 on: February 08, 2012, 05:40:57 am »

Sorry about that -- no clue what it was.  Just rebooted the server and it works again, as usual, but it's usually the forums that have that problem.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4237 on: February 08, 2012, 05:47:34 am »

Sorry about that -- no clue what it was.  Just rebooted the server and it works again, as usual, but it's usually the forums that have that problem.

Oh Toady! You've broken the hearts of forumites board-wide! In the nicest possible manner, of course, that being neurotic anticipation quietly denied.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #4238 on: February 08, 2012, 06:54:06 am »

You guys crack me up :D

ShinWalks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4239 on: February 08, 2012, 10:01:12 am »

With all the new content in the imminent release, will the main version number change with this release (i.e. from 0.31 to, say, 0.32)?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4240 on: February 08, 2012, 10:20:07 am »

Will weapons gain boons or afflictions innately? Consider any weapon used for so much slaughter that it earns its own name. Would it gain sentience D&D style over time? Violent magical powers based on blood directed at the wielder and his enemies? (Martial trance easier/constantly, enraged easier/constantly, accuracy, speed (exhausting low endurance wielders), life draining, poisons, syndromes (WIELDER NEEDS MORE ARMS))[/color]

Magical powers are planned for artifacts (Ctrl+F for "artifact" on dev_single).  Since named weapons are handled similarly to artifacts, they might also get magical powers at some point, although probably not via sheer mundane usage per se.  Also, this gets suggested a lot.

With all the new content in the imminent release, will the main version number change with this release (i.e. from 0.31 to, say, 0.32)?

Yes.  This came up in DF Talk (emphasis mine):
Quote from: DF Talk 14
Toady:   Yeah, I probably shouldn't say that. Nineteen months is my record and that's a record I don't even want to approach again, but since we're about half way through the night creatures we ever really planned to do I think we're in good shape. There is going to be a time where I still have to do markets and furnishings, but furnishings ... I might as well do those when I do haunted houses, so that's all going to go nicely, and then the market will be the only thing that's kind of left behind that needs to be finished after the night creatures, so I feel pretty good about where we're at. I mean, it's obviously taking a little longer than I thought it would but we're also going to be jacking up the version number an extra point or two because of this. Because this is all stuff, this is not just a random flight of fancy, this was all on our version one list anyway, so ...

I have a big list that has the point value for a bunch of things, because it was like ... when we went to version 0.31 and then we started making all those changes and then we did all the stuff like the first night creatures for adventure mode, and the version number just kept going 31.18, 31.19, 31.20, and we never increased it because we had moved away from that core one hundred system and didn't really replace it with something else so the version number was stagnant for a while. But now I've written down a list of all the things for version 1 with I think about .02 or a little more - maybe .05 - worth of wiggle room for whatever we might want to throw in there, but basically the whole version number with night creatures ... I think night creatures are worth like .005 or something and they all have various degrees and so on. I didn't want to put it up because we've had bad luck with dev systems changing. It's really nothing new, it's just trying to systematize the version number so I can think about it.

But yeah, if we're at 0.33 or 0.34 that sounds about right for next time. And that's significant, because we'd be crossing a third of the way through after nine years, so we'd be able to say in 18 years I'm going to be 51 years old and we're going to be at Dwarf Fortress version 1. That'll be great. Then I'll retire or something ... or just start version 2. And various other projects and stuff, it's going to be great. So let's see here, yeah, so it's cool, there's all kinds of things going on.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 10:31:19 am by Footkerchief »

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4241 on: February 08, 2012, 11:10:02 am »

Dwarf Fortress version 2 would make GLaDOS look like a pocket calculator.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4242 on: February 08, 2012, 12:05:49 pm »

with a hearth of gold

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4243 on: February 08, 2012, 03:15:57 pm »

And balls of brass.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Kriby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4244 on: February 08, 2012, 03:44:08 pm »

And menacing with spikes of donkey hoof.
Pages: 1 ... 281 282 [283] 284 285 ... 298