Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 286 287 [288] 289 290 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1154331 times)

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4305 on: February 11, 2012, 04:03:33 pm »

So, I don't mean to play backseat coder, and I know I'm just saying this because I'm impatient, but can't Toady prioritize bugs as "gamebreaking" and "not gamebreaking"? Some of the bugs we're being told are fixed seem to be the very definition of inconsequential, something which has no affect on the gameplay and could be fixed in any number of patches after

I think sometimes we hear his description of bugs, and don't realize how annoying they would be.  Yeah, you could still play the game with some of the bugs that he has been fixing, but it wouldn't work the way he wants it to.  One of the big goals of this release was to get cities and towns to be consistent between visits so we could actually find our way around a town.  If you have ever gone to sleep inside and gotten woken up by bogeymen attacking, you know how annoying having maps not be consistent between visits it.  Also, it is good coding practice to not release something with bugs you know how to fix.  Some of the "game breaking bugs" are really hard to track down.  Sometimes they go away entirely when Toady removes a place-holder chunk of code and puts in the "final" version of that code.  Normally, fixing something like that takes grinding away all the other bugs in the area until the final bug can be seen clearly.  Which is not fun for anyone.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4306 on: February 11, 2012, 04:13:25 pm »

Also, I assume that it's easier for Toady to fix bugs without introducing new ones if he focuses on one area of code at a time, so he remembers what he's doing and how everything works.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4307 on: February 11, 2012, 04:13:34 pm »

So now we're down to 5 bugs. (assuming ThreeToe hasn't found more)

Kriby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4308 on: February 11, 2012, 06:49:17 pm »

Does/will biting monsters automatically ingest their blood?

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4309 on: February 11, 2012, 07:29:20 pm »

Does/will biting monsters automatically ingest their blood?
IIRC, Unless you have [SUCKS_BLOOD:x] (or whatever) in the attack definition the blood will just splatter across your teeth.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #4310 on: February 11, 2012, 11:53:50 pm »

Valentines day release? Good for vampires & curses!
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4311 on: February 12, 2012, 01:42:40 am »

Is it odd that i find multi Z-level designations the most exciting part about this release? i mean my damn pinky finger hurts from mashing the enter key x100

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4312 on: February 12, 2012, 06:35:22 am »

Yeah, that's odd. :-\ In fact I'm hoping it's possible to turn that off... I often cycle through z-levels whilst designating to make sure different levels measure up to the one above, I don't want to end up designating the everything for mining!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4313 on: February 12, 2012, 07:13:24 am »

ever dug a 60 Z-level staircase? im pretty sure thats why it was included

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4314 on: February 12, 2012, 08:37:49 am »

Yeah, that's odd. :-\ In fact I'm hoping it's possible to turn that off... I often cycle through z-levels whilst designating to make sure different levels measure up to the one above, I don't want to end up designating the everything for mining!

This is effectively impossible to do accidentally unless you either hold the mouse button down while looking at different z-levels (which you have no reason to do anyhow), or press "enter" again while on a different level (which, again, you wouldn't be doing in the first place).
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #4315 on: February 12, 2012, 09:11:52 am »

You could already do multi z-level designations using macros, effectively speaking.

It's a pity that so many don't know about these.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4316 on: February 12, 2012, 09:44:46 am »

You could already do multi z-level designations using macros, effectively speaking.

I'd just rather not use them.  They make the game feel like I'm at work writing vim scripts.

edit: not to imply that macros aren't a useful feature for other players.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 12:25:42 pm by Footkerchief »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4317 on: February 12, 2012, 10:43:46 am »

Don't worry your macros are extremely useful to the folks that use them.  A macro that just does down and enter is awesome for buying tons of stuff from caravans because it only counts as one key and triggers the key entry speedup too when held.  50 pages of delicious meat purchased in 10 seconds. Muahaha!
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Myr0ku

• Bay Watcher
  • D for Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4318 on: February 12, 2012, 12:06:16 pm »

So, i don't understand, what will be the major implementation in the next release of DF ?
And, will the bug with the starecase in the glaciers be fixed ?

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #4319 on: February 12, 2012, 12:23:37 pm »

So, i don't understand, what will be the major implementation in the next release of DF ?
And, will the bug with the starecase in the glaciers be fixed ?

Cities
-Cities have gone through a major change, both in their size and function.
Interactions
-In general, interactions refer to the notion of one creature somehow affecting another. This has opened up a whole range of gameplay possibilities
Creatures
-A great many new types of creatures now inhabit the game, ranging from “boss” enemies like the necromancer, hoards of new undead and night creatures, and of course mundane “donation” animals

https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1u8jibE1TV7BAwAI2b4TzRkWFlBboLiXMrVBhYmDYPhI&pli=1

I know absolutely nothing about macros in df despite extensive playing. I should probably check the wiki article about them. ->
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 12:27:59 pm by Johuotar »
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.
Pages: 1 ... 286 287 [288] 289 290 ... 298