Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Crossing Oceans  (Read 11590 times)

Farthing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Crossing Oceans
« on: May 11, 2011, 05:24:00 pm »

So, I get really bored sometimes.  REALLY bored. Anyone else go for excessively long swims in the ocean?

I recently plotted a course across an ocean to an inhabited island/continent to check out what was there, and retire my current globe-trotting human bowman. Wierd thing though. I crawled up on a small island between the mainland and my goal, crossed it and went to jump back in the ocean. The entire sea was frozen!

I rolled with it for a while, but I keep running into these really huge walls of ice. I thought maybe they were frozen waves, but every so often when I'm moving, one will appear behind me, or the one in front of me will change shape. Also, there are long, narrow and really really deep cracks in them. Anyone know how they were formed or what causes them?

Find anything else cool crossing oceans?

PCpaste

• Bay Watcher
  • This is how smithing works. (For dwarves at least)
    • View Profile
Re: Crossing Oceans
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 05:29:57 pm »

The sea is messin' with you, man...

Next thing you know, you'll go to sleep on the ocean, and wake up a BUZZARD.

Or maybe you'll find one've them mysterious ice "fortresses".

EDIT: Yeah, i've found something cool... More experienced...

I went to sleep on the ice, and upon waking up I was a Cave Crocadile.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where an Artificial Intelligence-controlled unit can pull the pants off someone and the proceed to beat said someone to death with said pants.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 07:18:31 pm »

Yeah... Crossing large bodies of water is a very dangerous venture. Some of the stuff that happens makes the Twilight Zone look mundane.

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 07:37:48 pm »

I think it's like big advancing glacier ice walls.

I remember crossing continents in v 0.31.12, back before needing sleep with this badass dwarf adventurer. I think that's the biggest danger in crossing oceans. Also, if you are on an ocean tile and fast travel to a land one, there's a chance a sea creature will ambush you. A shark attacked and we spawned on land. Scary stuff.
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 07:41:28 pm »

I once swam across an ocean using a dwarf. When I got to the other side I took a nap and was woken up by a Sasquatch pounding by skull through my brain.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Farthing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 07:47:14 pm »

So after mucking about with a few adventurers on the same area of the ocean, There are indeed what appear to be either giant upheavals of ice, or freezing "waves" of ice that move across the surface. Large portions will appear and disappear in a single move, and claimed several of my adventurers. The large cracks appear to go all the way to the ocean floor, but there are some irregularities in them as well. They tend to be a uniform 1-tile wide crack for a few levels, then you can see a split, like a cross partway down. The crack then returns to being a uniform, 1-tile wide space until you hit the bottom. Occasionally, there are visible offshoots from the surface level opening, but I've never found one that can be walked-through. I sent a few adventurers off of the cliffs to see what was below. None survived.

Waiting or sleeping has had no effect other than my adventurer being encased in ice. However, it is always encasement in ice, and never freezing to death. This leads me to believe that these "waves" occur fairly frequently.

Chances are they are glaciers, but its wierd because they aren't listed as glaciers on the map. Initially I thought they might be icebergs, but that would also be silly because they are, again, ice all the way to the bottom. I suppose if they thaw then they could be listed as oceans.

Either way it would be cool to study how they work a bit more.

Tlc2011

• Bay Watcher
  • ..No idea what to put here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 09:27:32 pm »

Come on man, i've beaten a man to death with his own penis, whacked a tiger to death with it's tail,

Eaten a non-butchered GCS, AND kicked a man into a wall so hard he exploded in a cloud of gore.

Sleep in the water. Now.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 10:52:43 pm »

:P I tried crossing an ocean twice, in .19.
It was my happy super-fun roleplaying adventure, my female goblin character trekking across the world to find her idol, the legendary Warghui(One of my earlier goblin adventurers).
All her companions died fairly early on, as we started walking across the ice, and whaddaya know, it melted. But she kept going, I actually crossed ONE ocean, it was the next, larger one that had the deadly glaciers. :'(
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 09:25:26 am »

So after mucking about with a few adventurers on the same area of the ocean, There are indeed what appear to be either giant upheavals of ice, or freezing "waves" of ice that move across the surface. Large portions will appear and disappear in a single move, and claimed several of my adventurers. The large cracks appear to go all the way to the ocean floor, but there are some irregularities in them as well. They tend to be a uniform 1-tile wide crack for a few levels, then you can see a split, like a cross partway down. The crack then returns to being a uniform, 1-tile wide space until you hit the bottom. Occasionally, there are visible offshoots from the surface level opening, but I've never found one that can be walked-through. I sent a few adventurers off of the cliffs to see what was below. None survived.

Waiting or sleeping has had no effect other than my adventurer being encased in ice. However, it is always encasement in ice, and never freezing to death. This leads me to believe that these "waves" occur fairly frequently.

Chances are they are glaciers, but its wierd because they aren't listed as glaciers on the map. Initially I thought they might be icebergs, but that would also be silly because they are, again, ice all the way to the bottom. I suppose if they thaw then they could be listed as oceans.

Either way it would be cool to study how they work a bit more.

Sounds basically identical to those odd "Ice Fortresses" I find in the arctic that randomly appear... and disappear... with you in them. I'm not sure if their existence was intentional or not, but yes, just about any time you are walking on ice for long stretches you'll see that kind of stuff.
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

DaSwayza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2016, 08:33:16 pm »

Come on man, i've beaten a man to death with his own penis

I didn't know the game had ever had naughty bits

EuphoriaToRegret

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
    • My Newgrounds Art
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2016, 08:51:46 pm »

Come on man, i've beaten a man to death with his own penis

I didn't know the game had ever had naughty bits

Does an entire groin count?

JumpingJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2016, 02:57:44 pm »

Sounds basically identical to those odd "Ice Fortresses" I find in the arctic that randomly appear... and disappear... with you in them. I'm not sure if their existence was intentional or not, but yes, just about any time you are walking on ice for long stretches you'll see that kind of stuff.
Never heard of this before; sounds like some kind of weird snow mirage.

Well, guess I know what my next goal in adventure mode is going to be. :P

I think it's like big advancing glacier ice walls.

I remember crossing continents in v 0.31.12, back before needing sleep with this badass dwarf adventurer. I think that's the biggest danger in crossing oceans. Also, if you are on an ocean tile and fast travel to a land one, there's a chance a sea creature will ambush you. A shark attacked and we spawned on land. Scary stuff.
Land sharks, man.
I'M NOT HERE TO CHAT, I'M HERE TO DANCE OVER YOUR DEFEAT.
Imagine how much more exciting the dinosaur exhibits would be if we had necromancers.
Sigtext

BlackBronze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2016, 03:53:02 pm »

wow, I kind of want to see these things for myself, too. I know what I'm doing!

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2016, 11:21:08 pm »

Yeah crossing oceans frozen oceans in particular is definitely an interesting experience, I haven't done it many times and I've lost at least on adventurer from it, I remember from one of my longer adventures I had crossed a rather large frozen ocean, I had a few close calls with the ice walls but I made it.
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2016, 11:19:59 am »

While this sort of thing is certainly a bug, I'd like to see some of it become an Ascended Glitch once the magic arc rolls around and we get different world shapes and other dimensions and stuff.

Travelling to the edge of the world where palaces of ice spontaneously form around you and you can go to sleep and wake up as a crocodile sounds like perfect "spirit journey" material.
Pages: [1] 2