Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 666 667 [668] 669 670 ... 1067

Author Topic: League of Legends - Patch 7.22 - Runes Reforged  (Read 1233879 times)

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
Re: League of Legends Updated! - World Finals Hotfix - 1.0.0.147
« Reply #10005 on: September 21, 2012, 12:02:26 pm »

Riot has a moderate amount of variation in female characters, complainers just ignore it. Yes, they all have boobs because that's generally a characteristic of mammals. Are all of them double Ds? No. I don't see you complaining that the majority of men are just as sexualized. If you're going to make arguments, make good ones.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10006 on: September 21, 2012, 12:17:14 pm »

Are all of them double Ds? No.
I'm hard pressed to think of a female champ (other than Soraka, Orianna and the obviously inappropriate ones like Annie and the yordle babes) who doesn't sport a rack you could store things on.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10007 on: September 21, 2012, 12:19:54 pm »

Riot has a moderate amount of variation in female characters, complainers just ignore it. Yes, they all have boobs because that's generally a characteristic of mammals. Are all of them double Ds? No. I don't see you complaining that the majority of men are just as sexualized. If you're going to make arguments, make good ones.

I can't recall a single male sexualised champion? Maybe apart from Tryndamere. Please help?
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #10008 on: September 21, 2012, 03:09:50 pm »

I'm hard pressed to think of a female champ (other than Soraka, Orianna and the obviously inappropriate ones like Annie and the yordle babes) who doesn't sport a rack you could store things on.
Diana, Karma, Kayle, Lux (There was a ton of outcry when she was sexualized.), Shyv. That's 11 out of 31 or so, or 7/27 if you take the ones which are obviously un-sexualizable (Yay, butchered grammar) , which isn't that bad.
I can't recall a single male sexualised champion? Maybe apart from Tryndamere. Please help?
Let me count all the square-jawed manly men. Darius, Gangplank, Garen, Graves, Jarvan IV, Jax, Jayce, Lee Sin, Nasus, Pantheon, Tryndamere. That's not counting all of the other potentially over-sexified humanoid men.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10009 on: September 21, 2012, 03:16:23 pm »

I'd say Pantheon, Varus, Tryn, Lee Sin, Ryze, Draven, Taric, and even Sion can count as sexualized males.  Each sports an impressive, masculine physique while in their classic skin or at least in some of their other skins.  Pantheon and Sion, for example, have topless skins that even have nipples on them.

Honestly, I think the issue of sexualization is a society problem, not a League of Legends problem.  There really isn't a good way to "sexualize" a man, honestly.  What's considered the "perfect" male physique is seen as masculine, while the "perfect" female physique is considered "sexualized," not necessarily feminine.  Men are judged by their physical fitness, something changeable and achievable with enough effort.  Women are judged by their hips and breasts, which they have little control over besides surgery.  Women are often expected to be physically fit but still have large breasts, which is often a physical impossibility.

But on the other hand, some female LoL characters are definitely very sexualized, even down to their jokes and taunts.  Freaken' Janna makes a joke about "leaving you breathless" for a price and Sivir mumbles something about respecting her in the morning.  Not a single man in LoL says anything close to that, unless you count Taric's, "I will break you" 'cause it almost sounds like he says "rape" instead.  Which would count as a weird "gay" joke in a Deliverance sort of way.

edit: NINJAS. I don't consider square jaws as a sexual thing, myself.  Masculine, sure.  Sexy, no.

edit: but maybe we need actual women to judge the sexy quotient on the male LoL characters.  I'm the sort of man who prefers not-so-masculine looking men, honestly.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 03:23:57 pm by Euld »

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10010 on: September 21, 2012, 03:32:35 pm »

It depends on what do you think "over sexualized" means.
If you consider huge muscles then Mundo is oversexualized.
In fact being male i have no idea how a oversexualized male character could actually look like.

As for soraka... i don't see the reason behind this change.
She was a "woman in her late 30's" character and now BAM have a goat crossed with sailor moon.
We had a asston of sailor moon heroines but barely any "woman in her late 30's" characters".

He have a bunch repulsive and/or sexually neutral (unless you fancy a furry hide with a drooling maw) male characters like Mundo Thrundle or Warwick but nearly all female characters are sexy one way or another with the possible exeptions for Yordles (smurfs) and Anivia (unless you really like birds).
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10011 on: September 21, 2012, 03:41:23 pm »

Diana, Karma, Kayle, Lux (There was a ton of outcry when she was sexualized.), Shyv. That's 11 out of 31 or so, or 7/27 if you take the ones which are obviously un-sexualizable (Yay, butchered grammar) , which isn't that bad.

Let me count all the square-jawed manly men. Darius, Gangplank, Garen, Graves, Jarvan IV, Jax, Jayce, Lee Sin, Nasus, Pantheon, Tryndamere. That's not counting all of the other potentially over-sexified humanoid men.

W..what? Darius is fully clothed and displays nothing sexual or even implying sexuality... The only one I give you is Tryndamere. Either that or you have absolutely no idea what sexualisation is. Hint : It's not being huge and/or square-jawed. If you take square-jawed as sexualisation then I take "visibly having breasts" as female sexualisation and only the child-like characters remain unsexualised.

edit : You know what I might have an extremely important master's entry exam in university in two days but screw it.

Taken from wikipedia : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexualization

"The sexualization of an individual or group refers to the acts or processes whereby the individual or group is seen as sexual in nature[1] or a person becomes aware of their sexuality."

I've helpfully bolded the important part of that definition, since it's a pretty good definition and it serves well in our case, not to mention I can't find scientific papers on the definition of sexualisation right now.

Going by that, and narrowing it down to "huge exposed tits", let's count the number of female champions in LoL. Let's just go by default skin.
Ahri; Akali; Ashe; Caitlyn; Cassiopeia; Evelynn; Irelia; Janna; Katarina; LeBlanc; Lux; Miss Fortune; Morgana; Sejuani; Sivir; Sona; Syndra; Zyra. 18 out of 28 and I'm specifically exluding alternative skins (add Vayne, Diana, Riven and Nidalee) and skintight clothes (add Fiora). This leaves us with Leona - best LoL female design, Shyvana, Soraka and Orianna. I'm excluding the child-like yordles for obvious reasons.

All of these are sexy, slim ladies with huge breasts.

Let's check out how many male champions are even bare-chested.
Alistar, Brand, Mundo, Galio, Gragas, Kassadin, Lee Sin, Malphite, Maokai, Rengar, Ryze, Sion, Tryndamere, Urgot, Varus, Warwick. 16 out of 56.

Of those 2 are fat/bloated - Gragas and Urgot; 3 are animals - Warwick, Alistar, Rengar; 3 are inhuman - Galio, Malphite, Maokai; one is Mundo, and we have 6 left - Kassadin, Lee Sin, Ryze, Sion, Tryndamere, Varus.

A FAVOURABLE COMPARISON.

So... where are the non-colourswap inhuman females? Where are the fully armoured/clothed females? Where are the animalistic females?

See what I'm getting at when I say I want variety? And no I don't mean give me sexy furries. I mean copy god damn BLC's Guardian because holy shit Sejuani is bad design made flesh.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 04:13:15 pm by Graven »
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10012 on: September 21, 2012, 03:49:53 pm »

So obviously we need "Giant Metal Codpiece Tryndamere". Cause admittedly, none of them are sporting oversized packages.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #10013 on: September 21, 2012, 06:04:32 pm »

I remember that. The forums referred to that feature of the skin almost exclusively as a "bloody rape spike".

also @BOTH TAXED TO CONTAIN HER
holy fuck, I entirely forgot that happened

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10014 on: September 21, 2012, 06:12:38 pm »

Lastly, you should probably cut League some slack with their character designs, though. It is a lot harder to make 100ish champions distinctive from each other than it is for 25 Bloodlines. Furthermore BLC has a well-established tribal style with subdued colors, which might be an advantage versus the cartoon-ish, colorful style of League when it comes to making women women without relying on exaggerated figures and revealing clothing.
Uh, no. There is a VAST variance in male characters that is lacking in female character models. You can make them look distinct very easily. And without the need to sexualize them. Long hair is a pretty defining secondary sexual characteristic that's hardly used separately by Riot. Long clothing is also. Bare midriffs. Eyelashes. Even the faces are different. Poppy is a great example. Her ponytails show she's a female, right? That's easy to do with a human too. How do you know Annie is female? Dress. Hair. Tristana? Face.

It's easy. It's just not used.

Their design kind of is pandering to the stereotypes. A lot of female stereotypes are more undressed than dressed. Hell, it starts with the fact that male is the rule and female is the exception, as far as mental expectations go. That can directly lead to lesser variation within the "women" drawer, because it is on the same level as the "old men", "muscular men" or "nerdy men" drawers, if you understand what I am saying. Gender should be more of an afterthought perhaps.
Also, obviously, sex sells. :P While I like long, loose pants, covering clothing, mannish behavior and a slender figure on my women, not everyone might appreciate that as much as I do, and if Riot makes more $$$ with well-endowed well-exposed championettes, why should they shoot themselves in the foot?
What are the other acceptable stereotypes for Riot designing females, anyway? Perhaps an old hag or two?
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10015 on: September 21, 2012, 06:40:59 pm »

Last post because I really need to go to sleep, it's 2:30 a.m.

Why yes, going off about a minute's thought - old hag; huge imposing warrior; extremely tall, stick-thin headhuntress/executor; scars/disfigurement/VOIDTENTACLES/mecha gear; fully-clothed mages/assasins; full-body plate armour; robe-wearing dodge-tanks/martial artists ... holy shit it's actually harder to keep coming up with excuses for the same bloody figure Riot always uses than it is to think up alternatives! For crying out loud give one of the voidmonsters a female voice and it'll still work.

Anyways, I'm off y'all; wish me luck with my god damned entry exam, because I'll certainly need it!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10016 on: September 24, 2012, 02:49:30 pm »

So obviously we need "Giant Metal Codpiece Tryndamere". Cause admittedly, none of them are sporting oversized packages.

You seem to forget what happened to Mordepen0r.
I think that must have been before I started playing. i'm guessing the result was somewhat horrific?

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10017 on: September 24, 2012, 02:59:32 pm »

It wasn't really that bad, it's just like Kassa's codpiece, but instead of twin-linked spikes of rapey doom Morde had one souped up spike of rapey doom.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10018 on: September 24, 2012, 03:00:12 pm »

You seem to forget what happened to Mordepen0r.
I think that must have been before I started playing. i'm guessing the result was somewhat horrific?
Couldn't just be this, could it? That's not horrifying at all! >:(
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #10019 on: September 24, 2012, 03:07:48 pm »

The forums referred to it pretty much exclusively as a "bloody rape spike". I think they unintentionally made a great argument for its removal.
Pages: 1 ... 666 667 [668] 669 670 ... 1067