Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 774 775 [776] 777 778 ... 1067

Author Topic: League of Legends - Patch 7.22 - Runes Reforged  (Read 1233793 times)

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
Re: League of Legends - S3 - Patch 3.06 Freljord
« Reply #11625 on: May 18, 2013, 01:00:34 pm »

Meanwhile, the core paradigm of the classic MOBA, which is acquiring gold/using that gold lead to make more gold is fundamentally flawed. At some point it just snowballs out of control. That's the reason I like Dominion, incidentially.

That's the entire point of the system. At some point, one team snowballs into a win and the game ends. Something like this is required in a game without a time limit.

I've had games where nobody snowballed. Those games are intense and all, but they very reliably last 50+ minutes.

That's because at that point neither team wants to make a move, and that doesn't have anything to do with snowballing. It's the lack of pressure.

Take Dominion as an example - usually, one team will be losing points and is forced to act. In a close 50 minutes match of Summoner's Rift, the gain for acting is far, far outweighed by the impact a single mistake has - since there is no advantage to press, which is the incentive to act in most games of League - so neither team wants to commit to anything and hopes for a lucky catch.

On the other hand, if there were a strict time limit of 60 minutes and the team with more structures still standing won after that, you'd see a lot more action in the type of game you described.

Forcing the losing player to act is just as effective in ending games as snowballing. The two are kind of incompatible as well - having the winning team snowball and forcing the losing team's hand would end in disaster. (Only granting temporary advantages for snowballing would force the winner's hand, though. See: Inhibitors, Nashor.)
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11626 on: May 18, 2013, 02:24:59 pm »

Rules of ranked soloqueue :

-If someone REALLY wants to play a role, he will suck at it and he will take a champion that doesn't fit in the teamcomp.

-If someone in your team criticizes your choice of champion/summoner spells/build/etc... he will be feeding and possibly leaving the game.

-If two people are premade, they will most likely want to go bot. The better player will pick support while his newbie friend tries to break the record for worst AD ever, and they will lose their tower early on.

-If you're on your last match to move up a league, you'll have the worst team ever to make sure you don't win that one.

ZetaX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11627 on: May 18, 2013, 02:43:31 pm »

Thanks for giving us an example list of cognitive biases  :P

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11628 on: May 18, 2013, 03:34:58 pm »

Rules of ranked soloqueue :

-If someone REALLY wants to play a role, he will suck at it and he will take a champion that doesn't fit in the teamcomp.

I still shudder when recalling today's Blitzcrank who explicitely called support and proceeded to never hit a single grab.

-If someone in your team criticizes your choice of champion/summoner spells/build/etc... he will be feeding and possibly leaving the game.

Support's corollary: If the ADC vehemently demands a certain support from you, he'll bitch around for the entire game.

-If two people are premade, they will most likely want to go bot. The better player will pick support while his newbie friend tries to break the record for worst AD ever, and they will lose their tower early on.
-If you're on your last match to move up a league, you'll have the worst team ever to make sure you don't win that one.

On my last promotion match, I went support with my duo queue buddy ADC. We demolished the lane, carried the game and got me into the lofty heights of Silver IV. :P The lane being Draven/Leona might have something to do with that
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Tidal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PET_MICROSCOPIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11629 on: May 20, 2013, 10:12:21 am »

OP should update it to the 3.7 patch.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11630 on: May 21, 2013, 12:41:17 am »

And I still don't believe that snowballing should ever reach a point where the game is decided with finality, without actually being over with.  You should never ever feel completely and totally helpless against the sheer disparity of numbers wielded by their characters vs yours, and still be forced to slog through it under threat of action against your account.  I just don't understand how anybody can consider that anything but horrible, toxic game design.  An advantage is fine, but hopeless, crushing dance party in front of your nexus because you're just knocked that far down and will instantly explode if you take one step outside your spawn?  No fucking thanks.  Put some limits on that shit.
I agree with the principle- if the game is over, it should be over- but I've really never noticed it being a problem. When it happens early game, it's usually not so much that you can't win as that you just can't quite muster the effort to coordinate properly and so on. Arguably that's still a lost game and should be surrenderable, but that'd lead to a lot of people falling into that slump every game they weren't on the winning side of. It's easier and quicker to just toss a losing game and draw a new hand than work with what you've got, but that leads to very unappealing games for everyone, regardless of which side they're on.

When it happens late game, the enemy team is usually pretty efficient about it, but if they're not, their superminions are and that's another possible opening. I've never seen a Nexus last long when I couldn't leave the platform to defend it, regardless of what the enemy team's champions were doing. I have seen a winning team lose one teamfight and just not respawn fast enough to recover from it, however.

Support's corollary: If the ADC vehemently demands a certain support from you, he'll bitch around for the entire game.
I'd generalize this to say that the more specific someone thinks everything needs to be, the more likely that they really can't function unless everything goes their way in general.

On my last promotion match, I went support with my duo queue buddy ADC. We demolished the lane, carried the game and got me into the lofty heights of Silver IV. :P The lane being Draven/Leona might have something to do with that
What's wrong with Leona/Draven? >_>
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11631 on: May 21, 2013, 04:14:25 am »

Oh nothing, it's mostly Draven being able to capitalize on the smallest amount of CC to completely shut down a lane. Yesterday I paired up with a friend, he was playing support Lux, and was pretty good at landing his snares. Which meant that I only needed to attack twice with my axes and the kill would be mine. The stomping continued well into the twenty minute mark when I started dying to repeated focus. That didn't help them much since we had a pretty fed Talon too :D
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Jar of Jam

• Bay Watcher
  • [ITEM_FOOD:ITEM_FOOD_JAM]
    • View Profile

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11633 on: May 22, 2013, 03:00:13 pm »

Well I'll be damned - http://na.leagueoflegends.com/news/all-star-showdown-magma-chamber

That's interesting. I'd be curious to know if they made a map for what I'm assuming will be a less popular map so that they wouldn't take away from their core game modes.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 03:03:04 pm by Wiles »

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #11634 on: May 22, 2013, 03:40:11 pm »

That's pretty much it exactly. Morello has said many times that when he worked on Guild Wars 1 or something, the reason the game wound up dying is because of fragmentation from not having the player base to support all the different maps and modes they have. That's the reason they won't even release another classic map, and especially not a classic 5v5.

baruk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11635 on: June 08, 2013, 08:07:07 pm »

Played my 20th ranked game this season, and..

Made it to my first ever series. Now I'm too scared to play..

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #11636 on: June 09, 2013, 02:00:39 am »

Just finished Gangplank crit build game. First time playing Gangplank with a proper build.
28/11/6.
On level 10.

I feel awesomium in my veins. Katarina was a really hard one to take down, though, I only killed her once and that was thanks to her having only half of hp left.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #11637 on: June 10, 2013, 01:33:52 pm »

Doubleposting, because I do have that ability to kill threads, don't I?

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11639 on: June 10, 2013, 04:55:38 pm »

And the patch preview has the ability to revive them.

Engrish Preese

Also Teemo is going to hurt even more now with new Wits End, it's basically going to allow Teemo to just delete people.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 05:05:30 pm by Sharp »
Pages: 1 ... 774 775 [776] 777 778 ... 1067