Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 175

Author Topic: Deathgate - And We Must Scream (Finished Succession Game)  (Read 832640 times)

terko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Deathgate - Successful Hell Colonization! (Succession Game)
« Reply #1290 on: January 27, 2012, 01:09:34 pm »

I have to say, I had a good read with that thread the last couple of days.

You gave me quite some inspiration on how to handle certain things.
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: January 27, 2012, 02:28:36 pm »

Have a look at the link in my sig.  You'll see what I've done...
I've read quite a bit of that thread, but I don't recall you flooding hell... There was a lake, though, IIRC.  So some flooding must have been involved.  Did you end up filling the whole thing?
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

Mobotium

• Bay Watcher
  • I dont know who you are.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: January 27, 2012, 03:20:10 pm »

Oh, my turn, cool.

Ima gonna take a look around rigth now, probably play for real in 2 days.

~~~~~~EDIT~~~~~~

Its the 26th of Felsite.

Counting on my previous military acheivements, I was called from retirement on a peacefull nearby vilage as the last overseer stepped down from power over at Deathgate, the grand fortress were the demonic spawns of hell itself are held from destroying the realms of all Dwarvenkind.

Originaly I was called in to command one of our demon-slaying battalions, that was when I saw the so-called "pretenders" to the position of overseer of the fortress: one, a poor pissant farmer who knew about as much about defences as a damm elf. The other, a craftsman whose campaing moto was "craft rock, not bones!". Despite the fact that crafting rock is indeed quite profitable, if dumping them on humans that is, the motto just struck a nerve on me. Point is, I steped forward during the final election speech, slashed both their guts off and threw them down the nearby magma-well. After a 2 seconds silence, I was aclaimed as new overseer and given a office, bedroom, dinning room and a pile of paper bout' two elves tall.

My first job as overseer was, ofcourse, to check the stockpile records. Reading the letter that was clearly writen by an half-assed illeterate ammateur, I find with satisfaction that we have more than enough food and drinks to last us for quite a few years, no need to worry about famine at least, wich is quite good considering the army this literal hell-hole will have to support. Ignoring the stone reports, I check the weapon and armor reports and find that we have enough high-quality armament to easily support a force some five-times bigger than our current one. I also find that a unnamed craftsman managed to unlock the secrets to manipulate the flames themselves and create a mounstruosity of a living-weapon that, according to reports, had already claimed the lives of several that tried to wield it. I congratulate this dwarf, whoever he is.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I pass to the defence reports. The outer perimeter of the fortress is well defended, and there is no viable passage for any invader force, large or small, to infiltrate our city. I must congratulate the previous rulers for this, at the very least. However, the real concern is not the goblins or other random dangerous creatures who roam the day and the nigth, but the ones I was called here to kill in the first place, in other words, the demons in the depth.

At first glance at the main fortress, I come to the conclusion that I have absolutely no idea what the hell is hapening. Theres such a damm massive amount of random passageways, corridors, rooms, unused grand dinning-halls and massive cavern-like holes that it seems impossible that this was designed by anything else than a numerous amount of half-mad dwarves with no skill in drawing architecture. It would actualy be a intresting sport, "Imagine what the madmen had in mind when building this shyte". A good sport for elves that is. I should capture some of them latter on and offer them unconditional freedom if they get it rigth, ofcourse, we have no way to tell if they do get it rigth...

Furthermore, it seems no one around the entire fortress knows how anything works either. It seems all the previous overseers have coincidentially contracted a rare case of "Selectivus Forgetus", and cant offer any help at all about the inner workings of the fort. Well, as long as everything works smoothly, there should be no problem.

//Afterword//

« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 05:14:19 pm by Mobotium »
Yes he is... So the countess will never bread?
If she doesnt bread, let her cake.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: January 27, 2012, 06:20:36 pm »

Love the writing, keep up the good work.

Also, don't forget to link all the adamantine spikes to whichever lever Eogan started to. Use high-quality mechanisms.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: January 27, 2012, 07:32:10 pm »

Have a look at the link in my sig.  You'll see what I've done...
I've read quite a bit of that thread, but I don't recall you flooding hell... There was a lake, though, IIRC.  So some flooding must have been involved.  Did you end up filling the whole thing?

Read around page 60/70-ish.

Interesting writing, Mobotium.  Keep it up!

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: January 27, 2012, 08:41:32 pm »

18 FPS is quite respectable for the monster that is Deathgate.

I hadda kill a lotta animals to get it that high.

Also I changed the thread title again.  A Legacy of Horrible Things.  Seems appropriate.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 08:43:58 pm by AnimaRytak »
[RUMGOD][MURDERMACHINES_OVERLORD]
Quote from: StLeibowitz
Quote from: Yuli Vlasi
It's probably worth mentioning that AnimaRytak is the only ecstatic dwarf in the entire fort.
Quick, check him for rum! The bastard's probably spirited some off to his lair office, to act as pleasant refreshment as his evil scheme unfolds!

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Deathgate - A Legacy of Horrible Things! (Succession Game)
« Reply #1296 on: January 27, 2012, 10:00:14 pm »

I hovered around 40-50 FPS in Deathgate, even with the animals. Go me!

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: January 28, 2012, 12:56:48 am »

Nice writing so far, Mobotium.  If you're gonna mess up the military as badly as you say, at least keep the named dwarves alive, if you can.

Is my dorf alive and TRAINING? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: January 28, 2012, 05:21:32 pm »

The error messages are something to do with the justice system. I think the COTG is trying to jail someone but they can't path to either the person or the jail. And yes, I kind of ignored the animal overpopulation problem...
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Velard

• Bay Watcher
  • Anyone want some cantalope?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: January 28, 2012, 09:33:28 pm »

Deathgate just gets more awesome. I'm definately not re-adding myself into the Overseer list until I get errything straightened out in RL.

If Velard is missing, yeah, he's dead. I'd like to be re-re-re-dorfed as Nyrral.

Also, AnimaRytak, she will be getting the materials for the !!surprise!! soon.
Quote from: Mitchewawa
I mined out a moderate sized area above the stairway to hell in order to have enough rocks to fuel my insane architectural boner.

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: January 28, 2012, 10:21:19 pm »

Deathgate just gets more awesome. I'm definately not re-adding myself into the Overseer list until I get errything straightened out in RL.

If Velard is missing, yeah, he's dead. I'd like to be re-re-re-dorfed as Nyrral.

Also, AnimaRytak, she will be getting the materials for the !!surprise!! soon.

Armok is pleased.
[RUMGOD][MURDERMACHINES_OVERLORD]
Quote from: StLeibowitz
Quote from: Yuli Vlasi
It's probably worth mentioning that AnimaRytak is the only ecstatic dwarf in the entire fort.
Quick, check him for rum! The bastard's probably spirited some off to his lair office, to act as pleasant refreshment as his evil scheme unfolds!

Mobotium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: January 29, 2012, 12:56:11 pm »

Its the 27th of Felsite.

After a light breakfast of some kind of blue rubber-like thing the cook called "Sky Blue Fiend Meat" (I had him taste it before, I didnt survive 79 years in the mountainhomes by having the elf slaves make me food...), I proceeded with the inspection of the Hell-Fort itself.

The fort itself is large enough to easly accommodate a fighting force of thirty dwarves, plus related food and beverage industries, almost indefinitely. There also seemed to already be some work towards that goal, with the placement of a farming area and designated sleeping quarters for part of the population. Ignoring the bodies of oversized flaming things, I follow the stairs to the second level, wich a microcline tablet glued to the wall with, what I presume is, a mangled mass of plaster, goblin blood and the meat-thing I had for breakfast, told me was "the shooting range".

Going through the door-frame I am pleased with the sight of hundreds of bolts stacked neatly into packages, for quick reloading you see, and the extensive fortifications, letting overlook the hellish land before us. Further inspection told me that this floor was still under construction, evidenced by the amount of piss-ants running around with rocks. One look at the land arround us showed no sign of the demonic spawn, so I let them continue. At least they arent pissing their pants out and drinking all the booze.

I had to order them around a bit though, the latest booze-sponge illiterate who passed as a architect in this place decided to tell the masons to build the bedroom's outer walls first, and THEN the damn middle pillar. I got a feeling were that "disease" came from now...

On a last inspection on the lower level I found a note neatly pasted on some differently-colored wall telling me, the next overseer, to connect the blue spikes on the other side with one of the levers on the mid-fortress. I just gave the note to a random mechanic and told him to comply.

On overall the defences are better than I thought. This fortresses chances of survival should be at around "Bad-Horrible" level. Still better than "Hellish Shit-Spawn" level.

28th of Felsite.

I passed by two dwarves speaking quietly on a corner today. I didnt recognize any of them, probably just some random piss-ants, but I heard one of them talking about "materials" and "!!surprise!!". Either their some kinda elf pussies in disguise or their planning something bad, either way, I should keep my eye on them...

29th of Felsite.

There was a report of a strange smoke being seen coming from the stairs leading to the Hell-Fortress, along with bloody cries of "save meee" and "Im melting!!" and more notouriously, "Their comming! KEEP EM AWAY FROM MEEE!!!". I order the entire Hell-Fort quarentined until furter notice... 

1th of Hematite.

The smoke finaly dispersed. I led the excursionary expedition into the Hell-Fort's entrance and what I found was worthy of getting the fuck out and closing the hole with microcline. On the entrance bedroom, were the smoke aparently originated, and the adamantine spire above, were it spread before we could close the grates, there was a shallow covering of some strange light-blue half-frosted liquid, particularly arround what I believed to be dwarven bodies.

What remained of them at least.

They looked like someone had roasted them alive by dumping them into magma and pulling them back after some time, charred remains of bones and fat tissue, mangled with aparently still working black organs and beating, black hearts. None of their possessions seemed to have even a scratch or burn mark, and it might've been my imagination, but they actually felt cold to the touch.

In the room area, we found a single survivor, face-down, almost drowning in a pool of melted fat and blood, and that blue goo. She told us her name was Stâkud Sikellòr, a hammerdwarf recruit. According to her, she managed to survive because when she noticed the smoke and the cries of her mates, she was standing on the doorway leading to her room, and managed to close the door with the smoke only hitting her legs and lower-torso, which had their fat melted away in a question of seconds. I asked her a depiction of the occurrence as detailed as possible, this is a resume of the information I was able to gather:

As Stâkud was walking over to her bed, after another long patrol duty, she overheard two other soldiers speaking in the lounge close to the stairway. One was talking about a sock he recovered from hell-patrol duty. It appeared to be covered in a frozen Light-Blue substance, similar to adamantine. The other was telling him to give it to "The Mad Fool", who aparently was conducting research upon these substances (furter inquiring about the real name, location or identity of this person was met with opposition, so I had to back down. It seems I also need to keep a eye out for further mentioning of this name...). As she was entering her quarters, she heard a scream and turned to find the two dwarves enclouded in a strange mist, "like the one from dumping magma on ice." she said, apparently having their skin boiling and exploding in places. Having only time to close the door before the smoke had spread across the whole room. "not fast enough though, I guess", she said looking at her lower body.

A little after the interrogation, we heard shouting from the side of the room, beyond the doors leading to the Hell-Fort proper. Carefuly opening them, we found that most of the inhabitants of the fort managed to close the doors in time to stop the smoke, and thus survived the ordeal. After ordering the cleanup of all material and the disposal of the blue liquid, i was informed that several other dwarves had been found in similar conditions all around the fortress, along with their pets. Fortunately these all hapened inside private rooms and the such, so the scale was much smaller.

I could only assume the reason to all these ordeals was the frozen liquid mentioned by Stâkud, probably some kind of trap engineered by the demons, of course, I could not forget the mention of "The Mad Fool's" being researching these substances and the hostility in anything related to that name I sensed across the fortress. Anyways, I ordered a total checkup on all material that came even a hundred meters close to hell and the destruction of all material found to be "rigged". Also, I suspended all hell-patrols until countermeasures for these incidents were instaled.

In total, we lost about a dozen pets and thirteen dwarves to this ordeal. The workers wanted me to express here some the names of some of those we lost, saying they were important or something, no matter.

Yoursfear II
Al II
Nota
Alkemia
Eoganachta II

Those are the more "important" casualties. This is a great blow to the fort, but we shall find a way to recover.

We always do.

//Afterword//

« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 08:49:21 pm by Mobotium »

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: January 29, 2012, 07:52:59 pm »

Also, I have a bad habit of making typos and not managing to find any afterwards, side efect of my browser being on another language I guess... If you find any, would you be so kind as to pm me about them? Thanks very much!

Mostly the wrong where's and there's, and a few cases of only one letter where you need a pair of them.  Still pretty good overall - B-

Mobotium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: January 30, 2012, 06:18:55 am »

Its the 3rd of Hematite.

With the anxiety of the previous days finaly wearing off, things appear to be returning to normal pace.

I took a small tour of the workshop area, and I was pleased to notice the large amount of raw adamantine we had stored, as well as all the craftsman working to process it. I checked the blacksmiths, filled with the glorious noise and smell of burning metal, magma and goblin-bone cups. We seemed to be forging sarcophagus out of gold and platinum. Also, were so damm rich even the mass-production barrels are made of silver! Also, adamantine coffins.

I went in to talk with the blood-assed punk who had the craptastic idea of wasting the blue on some damm coffins...

Much better, now as I was saying...

I keept up the tour to find dwarves already instaling the mechanisms needed for the blue spikes at the entrance. That being said, everything seems to be progressing smothly. Its time to begin preparation of a military force capable of taking out the current rulers of hell. I had a couple of ideas looking over the goblin prisioners over at the rotten-food dumping area...

I call over one of the message carriers.

"Have the manager order production of 160 copper menacing spikes. Also, begin mass-smelting of iron bars."

This ougth to be intresting...

//Afterword//

« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 07:01:25 am by Mobotium »

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: January 30, 2012, 07:11:49 am »

I might be remembering wrong, but isn't Deathgate a ironless map? Also, copper spikes suck against demons. That's why I made 300 adamantine spikes.
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 175